Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I am going up later this week to purchase a 2009 KLR with 500 miles on it. A few minutes ago it occured to me, maybe the bike does not have 500 miles on it, maybe it has a lot more. Maybe the odometer says 500 miles, but perhaps that's not "accurate".
Can y'all give me some clues to look for when checking out the bike to see if this is the real deal, or if the seller is a crook?
What should the exhaust look like after 500 miles, tire tread, etc.
Are there any really good red flags that would tell me to walk away?
Thanks a bunch

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Hey gang,
I am going up later this week to purchase a 2009 KLR with 500 miles on it. A few minutes ago it occured to me, maybe the bike does not have 500 miles on it, maybe it has a lot more. Maybe the odometer says 500 miles, but perhaps that's not "accurate".
Can y'all give me some clues to look for when checking out the bike to see if this is the real deal, or if the seller is a crook?
What should the exhaust look like after 500 miles, tire tread, etc.
Are there any really good red flags that would tell me to walk away?
Thanks a bunch
Hmmm... A 2009 with only 500 miles? I'd look it over really closely, that's only like 2 tanks of gas! If the bike truly has only 500 miles it should appear pretty much brand new... I kind of suspect it's probably never had an oil change either if it's only got 500 miles on it. I check it out super close, could be legit, you never know :)

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Oh! And welcome to the forum :D. I'm sure some others will chime in with things to look out for as well. But seriously, if it's only got 500 miles on it, it should still look like new... Unless it was stored outside or something, but then I would be raising an eyebrow... :animal0019:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Tires should tell.

Not unheard of; someone buys a bike, finds out motorcycling's not for them, puts the machine away.

Dealer nearby had one like that, I suppose; maybe 6 years old or so with about 400 miles on the clock . . . apparently parked outside, and it was . . . RED; at least when it was new; need I say more?

Altering odometer mileag is a crime in my state; I'd expect the 500 miles to be genuine; if inaccurate, why tell such a PREPOSTEROUS lie?

The seller should have a plausible explanation for the low mileage.

·
Registered
366 Posts
+1 with Stew, check it over carefully. Factory Dunlops should still have most of the little spikes on it, they may look brittle due to tire age but I would think most would still be there...

Why is the person selling with only 500miles? Most likely something happened and they are scared to ride or don't want to. Just looking at it from a psych standpoint too...there should be a reason which they should easily share when your talking with them.

You should be able to get a VIN report from the Internet. Might be worth paying the fee if there is one. It'll tell you if bike title is clear and not a rebuilt salvage. Good luck and welcome! Hope it works out great for you.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, he has not changed the oil yet, but it starts up he says, just never got around to riding it. It has been living in his garage (Yea)!
He's an older gent I think and he seems straight up. Told me the shop he bought it from which I looked up and is a pretty big dealer. I am going up Thursday to get it, hopefully.
Its about 3 hours away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the welcomes. I came over from the drz400. Now that that uncomfortable little bike is gone, I'm looking forward to the KLR!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Look at the rubber on the footpegs. Worn/ not worn? The rubber bit on the shifter as well. I'd look at the oil filter cover and see if there's scratch marks on the screws indicating someone's done one or more filter changes.

If you can, check the sprockets. 500 miles should show very very little wear on the teeth. They should look like new. Tool kit all there/still in
case? Used/unused? Seat wear?

Tires can be replaced, obviously. I don't know what the OEM tires were on the 2009 model, (someone here probably does ) but they shouldn't show wear.

I'd be asking the question of the owner about why so few miles...and...where he bought it and had it serviced. The dealer might be willing to share info with you. I did this on a BMW I bought out of Iowa that had been serviced there.

Good luck and---oh yeah---welcome aboard.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
If it's genuine and he's kept it garaged the whole time it could be a dynamite deal! Check her out good anyway though, make sure the chain and sprockets are not rusty from sitting etc... If there are any repairs to be made from it sitting, be sure to try to negotiate the buying price to replace the parts.

If you do buy it, the first thing I would do when I got it home would be to change the oil, lube up the cables and the chain, check all the fluid levels and tire pressures/condition, drain or siphon the old fuel out and treat it to some fresh stuff... Then go ride the snot out of it ;)!

Edit: Oh, and lube up the speedo cable as well. I lost a cable on my 08 with low mileage due to lack of factory lube :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes 650 stew, I am on top of all that! Get it through inspection and tags, then a complete service.
Have you ever used airplane fuel? its 100 octane low lead, no ethanol. I get it from a local airport, and use it in all small engines around the house. Generator, lawnmower, etc.
Used it in the DRZ and it worked like a champ. Down side is its 7 bucks a gallon!

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
The KLR is a relatively low compression engine and seems to purr happily along on regular unleaded :). I've tried a few tanks of premium but noticed absolutely no difference (though some say they notice a difference). I would save my money and just run regular, that way you can buy more gas and ride farther! Lol! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right, I meant more for storage purposes it works great. Like for my lawnmower which gets used sporatically at best!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
There is a golden rule I go by when buying something from someone else that is of any significance pricewise that is. Such as a bike or car etc....something worth a bit of money compared to a lawn mower so to speak.
I don't look at the item for sale at first, I look at the seller, are they well kept, clean well dressed so to speak, yes I know stereotypical here but it works. Then look at everything around this person, his home, his vehicle, his toys....what sort of condition are they in? Then I seriously look at the item for sale.
If all of the other things point to a person who looks after himself and the other items in his life, he more than likely will have looked after the item you are there to buy.
Now it's time to check the bike over well. As stated earlier by others look for obvious signs of abuse and wear usually seen on a bike with that amount of miles and time. It could have a few scratches and that would be acceptable. Everyone thinks about taking these bikes on a trail after or before buying one, it is after all a dualsport no? So light scratches are semi normal, even an off would show a good one maybe. He should explain that to you if he knows you can see it clearly. The tires should have soe tits left on their outer edges. The footpegs and other items with rubber on should be close to new looking especially if stored in his garage. Even the paint and plastics should be like new.
I would question every small mark on the bike IF it looks strangely out of place for the low miles. If he is an honest man he will explain everything.

I would bet he bought the bike and it either doesn't fit his wants or it has scared him somehow.....OR as many have found out......they just don't have time in their lives to ride it like they thought they would have.

OH....it also should burn any oil at all when started up with this low of mileage. Even if it turns out to, it shouldn't yet! There is no way of telling if it will develope into an oil burner......it's a crap shoot IMHO....I have an 08 that doesn't burn a drop, so they are out there for sure.....I wouldn't be comcerned about that at all.
Ask him how he broke the engine in, if he is an older gent he would have done it the old school way I would imagine, slow and with plenty of engine braking over a few hot laps and cooling down sessions. That way is relatively new and not the way I recommend someone break in a new engine personally. It should be done over hundreds of miles with plenty of engine braking and many oil changes.

I bet this is a great find and a fantastic buy....don't over think it too much....if it looks legit, buy it and be thankfull you found such a great deal.

Now go get it.....the most important thiing is, what colour is it.....lol.

Hope this helps....:13:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You are so far winning on every level!!!!

Great price, very low miles, the best colour and most of all agreeing with me....lol.

Like I said.....go get it while it's still there....is this gentleman holding it strictly for you? If not.....I'd be sprinting, screw running, to get first dibs on it asap.:13:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts