Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all packed up. sleep? who needs sleep? got to sleep at 2 am friday morning,up at 5 am and was out playing in sacramento rush hour traffic by 6 am. it's going to be a great day. 8)

stopped for breakfast in willows. talked to a coupla tractor riders. they were wearing beret's and smoking pipes.

got to cam's place around 9 am.

nobody was home so i set up camp,left my emergency contact info on my camp chair and headed for oregon.

i went and sat with my grandma while she ate lunch. she didn't remember me being there 2 weeks ago. :( ,oh well,she is happy while i'm there and that's good enough for me. 8)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i checked my gps and headed back south to ashland.

got some gas and took off east on hwy 66. i rate this road in the top 10 on the west coast. they were pulling ditches and grading shoulders on this day,so my pace slowed after a nice two wheel slide in some sand. :shock:

i don't stop much,so you get a few different views of the places that i do stop.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pulled into keno and got a pic of the post office for a thread in another place.

gassed up on 87 since that was all they had,the buell prefers 91/92 octane.

snapped a couple pics on the road between keno and hwy 97.

i forget who this reminded me of? :?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
larryboy said:
i went and sat with my grandma while she ate lunch. she didn't remember me being there 2 weeks ago. :( ,oh well,she is happy while i'm there and that's good enough for me. 8)

You look like your grandma....a little...in a younger sorta way....in a male sorta way...awesome picture!

Three cheers for the coolest Grannie!

Where are the rest of the pics?

PS...that's a fancy schmancy GPS :lol:

Where and how did you mount that thing? :roll: Don't agitate the red dots!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found the old state hwy off of 97 and headed east. the dirt/gravel begins :D . i had looked at the atlas before leaving home and saw sheep mtn on the map,i figured if an atlas showed it then it should be a pretty big landmark. the road seemed to be turning back to the southwest and there wasn't a big mtn on my left like there should be. so i turned around and went back to find my turn about 3 miles back. i had been gaining on a car and missed my turn in all the dust. okay,sheep mtn is out there to the north of me. my route took me thru tennant,ca.

their version of a post office:

i'm not really sure of all the road names out in the woods. i remember forest road 77 and 15 and the modoc lava beds scenic route. scenic it was. right after this pic it turned to pavement for a few miles.

then back to dirt.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let's see,somewhere along in here i hit pavement again. i'm working my way south now towards hwy 89.

the shadows were getting long and this bush really stood out in the fading light. i'm pretty sure it's a dogwood.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hwy 89 was in a state of destruction. somebody decided to go paul bunyon on it. yanking the corners out of it and making it much too wide to be any fun. there were some dirt sections where they were still widening the hwy. i got stuck waiting for a pilot car for about half an hour.

i finally got clear of the construction and opened it up. slowing at the tops of hills and at cross roads. gotta keep an eye out for 5 oh.

stopped in burney for some gas. 55 mpg on the leg from keno to here.

sadly they had painted over half of this mural for a smokers porch. still a pretty good mural.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well Larry nice trip. You should have however pulled into the sportspark just before keno and done a few hot laps around the motocross track there. I used to run the starting gate there. It's a great track.

Ron

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i made it into redding around 7:30 friday night. i remembered talk of dinner at red robin. so i stopped at a gas station and asked a couple on a road king if they knew where it was. they offered to show me around redding and take me to red robin. kewl,works for me. looked for a herd of klr's at the red robin,but didn't see any so i grabbed a burger at in-n-out and headed back to cam's.

i was a little disappointed to see that i was the only camper. :( :wink:

cam was nice enough to leave a light on for me. so i pulled my chair over and sat under the light to eat my dinner. i was beat,3 hours sleep. time for bed.

miles for day one:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got up with the chickens/cam. we hadn't met yet,so i wandered around the corner to say hello. what a cool guy,it was hard to keep setting up for the day when we'd rather just kick it and talk.

the morning view.

some klr's started turning up!! time to wrench.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BACK TOO WORK!!! :D

if you have an '07 and take your bike to the dealer to have the valves checked and it has these little peg things on the valve cover AFTER the dealer checked the valves...GET YOUR MONEY BACK,because the valve cover cannot be removed without grinding the peg looking thing on the left off!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cam took a couple of us on a midday cruise to see the lake.

tim got caught with the wax. :lol:

cam made a plate for gene's new 130 db horn. turned out really nice and LOUD. the blur in the background is eaglemike,he always is a blur on tech days. 8)

hey look,joe didn't go fishing.

elizabeth still working.

graham crackah,super nice guy!! notice his trash can B-17 side scoop.

the bikes are getting put back together.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a bunch will try and get them posted tonight.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts