Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever mess around with this stuff? I got a 2' x 2' square of black, reflective. I'm thinking of applying it to the front fairing and the side panels. I'll post up some pics when done.

Jamie

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, I've got lots of that stuff. Very expenisive. But I really like the way the Black reflects. I'd love to see what you come up with!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've been working with this stuff for the better of 2 hours. I did a couple panels on the front fairing and then did the side panels. I have to give credit to Patman for inspiration and advice. The funny thing about this stuff is that in direct sunlight, it is jet black. In the fluorescent (sp?) light, it actually shows a bit grey:

This is with no flash:

Sorry about the quality, but it's 11:00 at night! Here is with the flash:

I'm not sure if I'll go further on this or not. I think I'll just let it grow on me for a while, then decide.
Wadda ya think?
Oh, and mine is the 3M. I just got lucky. I didn't know 'til I just looked :oops:
Jamie

·
Registered
71 Posts
nice work on the sidepanel. that looks very sweet. I think I'm going to have to see if I can get some big sheets of that stuff; all I've found is small 2" wide rolls of the stuff at $3 a foot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
btl68 said:
I have bought the cheap and the good 3M brand...only get the 3M and don't mess with the others...HUGE difference on reflectivity.

I bought my 3M black at http://www.reflectivedecals.com/home.htm
I got the stuff for my helmet from this one. Used their standard kit and some of the leftovers to "personalize" my lid a little.

Without flash

With flash

Also did some reflective pin stripes on the side panels, fairing and rear fender, but I don't have any photos handy.

Jamie those big patches on the side panels look great. Should make the ride stand out like a turd in a punchbowl.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm going to put some stripes over the words Acerbis on my new hand guards. I haven't really thought of any other place I'd want to put it just yet... but the helmet thing is a good idea! Maybe I'll cut out a mean pair of eyes for the back of my helmet! :lol:

Jaime, did you cut yours out by hand? If so... super nice work!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, BS, I cut it out with momma's good scissors. If you get real close and are reeeaaaallllll picky, you can spot some iffy spots. But in general, I'm a happy camper!

Jamie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since we're talkin reflective here I thought I'd throw in my $.02. I really like the Halo reflective helmet band. It stretches to fit any full faced helmet, self adheres, and offers 360 degrees of high visibility. Works for me! :wink:

Here's a good link. They also offer 2 sheets of the afforementioned black stuff for $15.95. Later, MH
http://www.reflectivedecals.com/haloebay.htm

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Jamie said:
Well, I've been working with this stuff for the better of 2 hours. I did a couple panels on the front fairing and then did the side panels. I have to give credit to Patman for inspiration and advice. The funny thing about this stuff is that in direct sunlight, it is jet black. In the fluorescent (sp?) light, it actually shows a bit grey:

This is with no flash:

Sorry about the quality, but it's 11:00 at night! Here is with the flash:

I'm not sure if I'll go further on this or not. I think I'll just let it grow on me for a while, then decide.
Wadda ya think?
Oh, and mine is the 3M. I just got lucky. I didn't know 'til I just looked :oops:
Jamie
Nice job! How did you cut the reflective material? Do you have a stencil?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At first I tried to make a paper stencil, but getting paper to bend in two directions..... :x

The Patman told me to cover the area in blue painter's tape. Outlined the area with the tape, using the edges to generally mark where the vinyl edges would be. Then cover the field with overlapping pieces of the tape. When finished, carefully mark areas that need trimming. Pull the tape off in one piece (sounds easy......just go slow!)
Then lay the entire tape slab onto the vinyl. Try to get it to lay out as flat as you can. Then simply cut out along the tape edge (or markings) with momma's good scissors.
Dry-fit the piece and trim if necessary. To apply it, I taped the piece at the midline exactly where I wanted it. Then peeled the backing on one side and cut it away. Rub the vinyl onto the plastic. A few bubbles are OK. Vinyl will breathe and they will disappear. I'm sure others could offer other methods for application that may work as good or better.
After the vinyl is in place, I used an exacto knife to make a couple little trims to get it just so.
Thats all I got! Hope it helps.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I'm thinking with all the members we have there must be at least a hand full that could make a drawing that could be used as a stencil. An example would be what BigCee did for the dash. We aren't asking that it be completed tomorrow. Any takers (Please!)?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, I could probably do it in a few minutes. Let me play around with one and I'll make sure it works to full scale on my bike before I upload it.

EDIT: Could somebody with the bike in front of them give me the measurements on the distance between the holes on the rear plastic panels? Just inside rim to inside rim is fine... centerline is not necessary. Also, what's the diameter of the holes? (Largest part)

·
Registered
595 Posts
OK, Here's a version I figured would be appreciated more than a solid panel of color.

This is the panel you can print to use as a template. I made them so they are 2-Up on an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper. So, because photobucket reduces the files for viewing, you will know to scale to fit on your printer. (Borderless if you have that option)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I got 17 9/16 and 1 inch dia. on the left side.
I think the right is the same but the rear hole is damaged pretty bad from the saddle bags.
John

1 - 20 of 37 Posts