Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the misfortune of being a ways behind a car/pickup accident that caused a 5 gallon bucket of used motor oil to drop off the pickup. Because of the topography of the highway i saw the mess as i came over a rise in the highway-not enough time to miss the slick.. my bad. Anyway,fast "tankslapper" and I hit I.78 at 60 mph.(highsider). I think I "longrolled" about 70 feet all on pavement. Bike was in the grass median. Injuries to bike: all plactic cracked, dasboard gone, H.T. crashbars intact, H.T. Tetons-not a scratch. Mounting for same;fine. Barkbusters one side fine, other side lost the plactic, which i recoverd.
my injuries: 4 broken ribs with pneumo & hemothorax= chest tube. cracked C7vertabrae, broke thumb and middle finger on left hand. broke great toe and 5th toe on right foot. worst fracture was "pinky" toe;it was smashed. NO HEAD INJURY,NO ROAD RASH, NO LONG BONE FRACTURES,EVERYTHING IS HEALING NICELY! I tell the tale in hopes that it may help even one person. Not for anyone's sympathy as I believe I was most fortunate!! The bike was fully insured but totalled. Plan to get another Gen.2 and use it as a parts bike. I have pics. but cannot figure how to post. Happy to e-mail them to someone who can then post. I choose ATGATT about 10 years ago. I believe it served me quite well. Was 3 miles away from home. was 5 miles from Class 1 trauma center. Rode my V-Stom yesterday..for about 5 sore miles.But I was smiling!

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Bad deal, but good to hear you're okay. It's obvious your subscription to the ATGATT way of thinking served you well. Thanks for telling the tale and besides your report that things are healing nicely, I believe the best thing you have going for you regarding the physical healing is your overall attitude about the whole thing and I admire you for that. I'm no physician, but I would say your way of thinking helps and speeds up the process even more. I believe the phrase "true grit" describes it well.

It was noted that you detailed the damage to your KLR before going into detail about the rather substantial damage to yourself. If that ain't a dedicated rider, I don't know what is.

Continued good luck with the recovery of both you and your machine.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
"True Grit" is right.

Glad to hear you are doing well and in good spirits. I hope you have a fast recovery.

I can't believe you were already on a bike. That 4 broken ribs with pneumo & hemothorax has got to hurt like a mutha'..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry to hear about it brother. I've been down that road a few times myself. Sounds like your mind is right and you're coming along well. Keep it up!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Holy moly! Glad you're OK, brother. I can't believe you're riding again either. Keep your head up.

D

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Wish you a speedy recovery. I'm sure there's a message in this for us all. While the pictures will tell a lot of the story, I'm sure there's more you'll need to tell. Need to tell 'cuz I need to hear it. Back in the dark recesses, I still hold that thought that I'm bullet proof....

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Glad to hear your healing well, sorry to hear that your steed didn't fare as well. As they say though, a machine can be replaced easily, a human not so much! My best wishes to you on a speedy and complete recovery :character00201:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Bike landed in the grass median,H.T. engine bars protected the engine,it RUNS fine!

I know this helmet is inexpensive, but as my head hit the concrete so many times,I will buy another without a thought, except "that helmet protected my brain".

What any highend will do...

Thanks to "FieldShear" for taking the "roadrash" for me..

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Hate, hate, hate, HATE to hear that from a fellow rider. Glad you are on the mend and riding again. I know you praised you gear but what, if anything, can you take away from this for the good? Sounds like it was something that could have happened to any of us, regardless.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Thank god for full face helmets!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
WOW!!! Glad to hear you're "OK".. I had a thought like this today when riding home from South Dakota..
It was in the upper 90's today, and I was wearing my full gear, Stich Darien jacket and pants, boots, gloves, helmet..

I stopped to get a photo for a Grand Tour I'm in and the kid in the photo asked why I had all that stuff on, and if it was hot?? I told him yeah, it's hot if you're stopped.. I asked him if he'd ever fallen on his bike?? Yeah, was his answer.. I told him to imagine that at 70mph.. And that I'd rather sweat than bleed.. He got the point..

Who would expect an bucket of oil to fall out of a truck??

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going too fast. I should have slowed when my visibility decreased due to the rise in the highway. Pickup was filled with "junk"--guy was taking oil to be recycled- no tailgate. The state trooper told me (in the ambulance) that he was giving the guy a ticket for something-I don't remember what. As encourage meant for some of you:I have over 250,000 miles on bikes. I have had 4accidents,2 lowsides without any injury and 2 highsides: 1 in Inuvik @35mph cracked 5th metacarpal, and this accident. So yes, I am very fortunate!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gear:Sidi boots- 1 coat of black polish and they look new.
Dragon jeans Kevlar knees& butt intact other areas not..ordered new pair.
Field Shear mesh jacket
AFX Helmet
Gloves: Joe Rocket--Phoenix
Tee shirt

Happy that I was wearing AFX instead of my full face flip up HJC -I think it protected my jaw & chin better than the HJC may have..just my thought. Have plenty more pics. If you care to see something in particular .

M

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Most riders who are weighing out the decision on how much and what kind of rider gear to buy, have no idea of what going down entails. Anything additional may help clarify the importance of safety gear, from a first hand experience.

I have a friend I ride with that takes issue with my statement that every time I throw my leg over the seat, I increase my odds of a wreck. He contends each time he rides, he improves his skill. He is in all likelihood, totally right. My contention is that each time I roll out, I increase the odds of encountering something like this. Or an entanglement with a cage. I can't control what I can't control. I can, however, take some responsible measures to cover that lack of control.

I hope none of this comes across as fear mongering. I hate that. We have some risk in what we do. Manageable risk. Is the right gear hype or hysteria, marketing ploy or fact?

In recent years, I've developed some allergies. Bees stings. Poison Ivy. Asphalt, rocks and gravel. There's some things I can do to ensure against all of them.

We all ride our own ride. I like those struggling to find their way through this to see from a first hand perspective the outcome of the right gear. And the importance of rider skill. And awareness. And sharing it all with others.

If you have more photos, please post 'em.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts