Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the thing mostly apart and it appears that the "inner" shield must be retained in order to fasten the tail light assembly into the fender. I suppose people have cut this "shield" down and just relocated the plate assembly under the tail light? Anybody here done this procedure?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've done what you describe. I removed the subfender entirely and used a bandsaw to cut it off just below the rear light section. I mounted the original plate winged bracket under the brake light. Real Soon Now I'll do something to get light on the plate as state law requires. Probably when I get a ticket for not having done it yet... :lol:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
biodegraded said:
I've done what you describe. I removed the subfender entirely and used a bandsaw to cut it off just below the rear light section. I mounted the original plate winged bracket under the brake light. Real Soon Now I'll do something to get light on the plate as state law requires. Probably when I get a ticket for not having done it yet... :lol:
Hmmm.... that light on the tag was going to be my next question..... wonder if anybody has been actually stopped, ticketed or warned about it. Also anybody out there come up with a solution for this "white tag light" problem?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had mine mounted like this

Managed to break that and now it is like this. I have yet to hassled and I drive a lot at night and on pavement. I have not thought of a way to get a light in there and make it look decent.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats pretty much what I've got planned.... have you been stopped at night ref the tag light? Oops. Just read the rest of your post under the last picture. Never mind. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The ghetto solution is to cut the bottom of the brake light red cover off so some of the light spills over the plate. You get extra credit if you cover the missing red plastic with something transparent. The mid range solution is to use illuminated bolt heads, but the ones I've seen are like $30 for a pair. The primo way is to get a dedicated illuminated plate holder.

Cops here aren't likely to ticket for lack of light but safety inspectors will stop renewal if they notice it, and the cops will certainly pull you over if the sticker is out of date. But my bike is new enough I haven't had to reinspect this year, so I have a whole nuther year to procrastinate.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm.... problems problems. I'm running a 16 tooth counter sprocket so I don't really feel I'm in any danger of breaking the thing off right now but want to go ahead and get it done. Better just do it I suppose......

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well as Bones stated. he tor his off after relocating it once.

I also relocated mine, this is what I found after 6 hrs of riding off road. take the time and relocate it like bones did the second time around.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do Taz. I'm getting ready to cut er down as I type. I'll worry about the tag light "later" (wink wink......) Just got an order from Ron Ayers for missing bolts and screws and I'll loctite things as I put it all back together again. Been putting this off for a long time anyway. :roll:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
biodegraded said:
This link has some examples of available products.
Thanks! I saved that link and took a quick look. Seems as if the subject is under control for less than $50 and will work with existing wiring. Very nice. I will probably procrastinate but now I feel better anyway. Wonder if anybody here has actually installed one.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been meaning to stop at the napa lighting display and check out the trailer license lights.. Should be able to pick up a small white domeshaped light with about 1/2 blacked out. If I can find this thing, then I'll mount the light below the plate shining up and forward onto the plate. The reason for this is to avoid the hassle of a traffic stop because no white lights should be visible when viewing the bike from the rear and the angle of the plate is such that I think the bulb would be visible if mounted from the top.

TW

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just drilled two holes in my fender and wired two lite n boltz to bolt it on. I think its a clean solution. I got the lite n boltz off of fleabay for $25 shipped.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I moved my entire plate assembly to underneath the brake/taillight.

Hard to see in this pic, but I have a LED lightstrip mounted above my plate and wired into the stock license plate light wiring. The stock setup has been removed completely. The lightstrip I ordered from Custom Dynamics and it was a snap to install. If I really wanted to, I could pull the entire inner fender right out, but that's just too much work for no return.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess all states are different in their enforcement but the last thing I worry about is getting stopped for no license plate light....? I moved my plate to the fender, too, and have never had a problem wit' da police.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
MeefZah said:
I moved my plate to the fender, too, and have never had a problem wit' da police.
I'm not gonna say it!!! :twisted: :roll: Which police usually give you trouble? :lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
MeefZah said:
I guess all states are different in their enforcement but the last thing I worry about is getting stopped for no license plate light....? I moved my plate to the fender, too, and have never had a problem wit' da police.
Okay I didnt think it would happen but it did. I am writing this at 2am on sunday morining. last night at 9pm I had to go home for a quick meeting with a contrator. (the only time I could get). I got pulled over by CHP. luckly I had my get out jail free card :lol: :lol:

He warned me and let me go. no big deal. but know I need light on the plate. He was bored.

·
Registered
100 Posts
biodegraded said:
The ghetto solution is to cut the bottom of the brake light red cover off so some of the light spills over the plate. You get extra credit if you cover the missing red plastic with something transparent.
I am ghetto then. I drilled holes in the bottom of my tail light and not a damn thing changed :lol: I have yet to try for extra credit since this already does not work. I will only add one if I fail inspection next year.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the deed is done. I don't want to drill the taillight lens because I have installed a BRAKE! LED earlier and it strobes. The job is neat and looks much better this way. Taz, I'm sure you are higher up on the food chain out in Kalifornia as they are much pickier than most other places I have ridden. Having said that I will probably get stopped now, :lol: however there are some decent options available now that this thread has been running.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Buildit said:
I'm not gonna say it!!! :twisted: :roll: Which police usually give you trouble? :lol:
I am but a mere man 16 hours a day... I too answer to Johnny Law in my off time.... :wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts