Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 09 is black and even before I bought it I thought about removing all the decals - thinking it would have a more comapct feel to the bike - also to create a sense of intrigue/mystery about the bike. However, if I remove them there is no return without it costing a ton of bucks. Has anyone removed their decals? How difficult was it? How did you do it? Most importantly, how did you like the look?:63a:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Removing decals

DragonFly
I did it. I used a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive and peeled them off carefully. I then used Isopropyl Alcohol & GooGone to remove any residual adhesive. I left the Kawasaki name, KLR 650, and similar decals on the bike.
Just got ride of the obnoxious stickers.
It looks great in my opinion!:35a:
I would not like to go back to how it looked from the factory.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Easy. As said, hair dryer or heat gun on LOW heat. Solvent. Fishing line to run under the decal so it doesn't rip helps.

My bike:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
The red and blue 08s had color under the clear coat on the tank. If you have anything underneath, DON'T try to remove it. I don't think the 09s do. Just looking out.

Glad I did it? Hell yeah. The back decals especially pissed me off, but I hated pretty much all of them.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
I'm converting mine from a blue '08 to silver and black.

The right side decals peeled right off, leaving no residue. That's the side that faces the sun on the rare occasions that I ride it to work. The adhesive must have been degraded a bit.

The decals on the left side came of in wee bits and left residue behind. a regular PITA. A heat gun helped some, but not much. the residue came of with gasoline.

Tom

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the look with removed rear decals - I wonder what it would feel/look like with front fairing decals removed???????????? BTW: The TDI seat looks pretty good!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Basically used the same steps as everyone else. Took about 20 minutes. Hairdryer on low, 3M adhesive remover, and used a small plastic scraper. If you use anything metal, you will have scrapes & scratches. Be patient and apply only as much heat as you need to keep the peeling going. Too much heat and the decal will rip piece by piece. The adhesive remover will quickly clean up any remaining residue and didn't harm the paint or plastics.

I certainly like the look without the wacky graphics. Here is my '09 without the decals.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My 09 is black and even before I bought it I thought about removing all the decals - thinking it would have a more comapct feel to the bike - also to create a sense of intrigue/mystery about the bike. However, if I remove them there is no return without it costing a ton of bucks. Has anyone removed their decals? How difficult was it? How did you do it? Most importantly, how did you like the look?:63a:
It's so easy you'll laugh it yourself for asking "how to" when you're done.

I had my plastics off anyway so I put them in the sink full off hot water. Then I just peeled back the corner and slowly pulled. It was easy!!! You could run a hose from your hot water heater outside and use hot water. The water heater needs flushed and the bike needs washed anyway doesn't it?

Hair dried would work well too.

Here's a pic of my 09 black: http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=9263

Once you're done you can also try this:

·
Registered
29 Posts
removed the decals on my 2012 KLR

Good day,

I removed the today off my 2012 KLR and IMHO it looks cleaner and sharper!

I live in the Florida Keys, and since the ambient temps are pretty warm, I didn't need added heat or chemicals to remove the stickers...

I simply peeled back a corner, starting slowly pulling in the opposite direction, and most of the stickers came off in once piece. A quick wipe down afterward with goo-gone took away residue adhesive.

Looks great to me!

Note: I put together a short video of the post-decal-removal for your consideration: http://youtu.be/3nRxS3rUIFU

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2011 is black and was covered with white decals. I used a heat gun carefully on low and they peeled right off. WD-40 is good to get rid of residual adhesive.

The bike looks much better with solid black bodywortk and a grey tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is my solid black 09. I used heat gun with low heat and wd-40 for residue, decals came right off with no problems. bike was red tanked and black panels, I had the tank powder coated black and removed all the decals. much better look. I feel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts