Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Repair Broken Plastic???? Pre-'08 fancy plastic

This is for classic model and not the new model..:16a:

What type of plastic is the headlight cover plastic?

I broke it, have all the pieces and need to put it together. I was thinking of using 5 minute epoxy plastic glue or using model type super glue with kicker spray. Any feedback or this repair?

Thanks,
Ricky

·
Registered
517 Posts
Buy a used one on ebay unless you don't mind having a frankenstein klr.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy a used one on ebay unless you don't mind having a frankenstein klr.
I agree, go for the Ebay option and or new if need be.

Cracked is "Fracked"
Why you two's a break'n my balls????????????

I want to repair it, not by a new one or a use one............Are you two the type of riders that have sparkle, fancy free klr's that are afraid of the dirt??????????Well I ride dirt alot and mine is scratched and set up like a tank for off road...So if you have any help on my question please answer back or shut up and ride.

Peace
Ricky

·
Registered
517 Posts
Epoxy it or bolt some metal to it like a surgeon puts bones back together. The metal and bolts will add character. Ride it into a brick wall. I don't care. I thought you wanted suggestions.

·
Registered
815 Posts
frankenstein klr.
Shoooooooooooot!!!!! Is there anything really better?

Are you two the type of riders that have sparkle, fancy free klr's that are afraid of the dirt??????????Well I ride dirt alot and mine is scratched and set up like a tank for off road...So if you have any help on my question please answer back or shut up and ride.
Right on!!!!!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I thought klrforum.com was a-hole free. But I was wrong

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Epoxy it or bolt some metal to it like a surgeon puts bones back together. The metal and bolts will add character. Ride it into a brick wall. I don't care. I thought you wanted suggestions.
LOL, I asked for suggestions on a repair....Read first post again....You seem to be able to dish it out but have a hard time with your own accountability. Just know that I'm a forgiving man and would be able to be trusted. I just call it as I see it and let water under the bridge be.......So take it easy man, It's all gravy

Shoooooooooooot!!!!! Is there anything really better?

Right on!!!!!!!
Thanks for the support:23a:

Com'on,<<<<<<<<<<< If you have advice on my question, great! If not I ask that you "Shut up and Ride," in a good way. I'm trying to figure out how to repair my beast and for something to keep in my adventure bag, in case a similiar situation occurs and I need to repair the plastic.

I say Peace because it's give and take........You give it out and I dish it back.. Role with it in a good way as I'm doing....I've got a big heart so no hard feeling here........Just a Piasano with an opinion and feelings like anybody else......So,,,,,,,, yes I'm an A-hole but I have a big heart........Ask anybody that knows me like my buddies at motherlodedualsport.com and others on this site.

Peace
Ricky

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
It is sometimes difficult to remember that other people can't read the inuendo that is put into typed text that the author may have intended, they were just trying to help out is all.
Now as for fixing the plastic, the only thing that comes to my mind is something I have seen in a couple industrial tool type mags is a plastic welder. I think it is essentially a soldering iron with different types of glue sticks that one might use in a glue gun. You can lay the pieces together, use the iron to melt and stitch the original plastic back together somewhat and then use the glue sticks to lay down a permanent plastic weld over top of the cracked pieces. I have no idea how well this thing works, but it has peaked my curiosity for quite sometime, cause It seems I am always breaking some kind of plastic and am always looking for a way to mend it back. Keep us posted on what you find and works.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't think you are understanding the issue here. What you did in this thread is one of mine and many others biggest pet peeves about internet forums... someone asking a very specific question and then gets totally irrelevant answers.

Kind of like "I'm considering a KLR650 or V-Strom650, what are some of the benefits of each". Then somebody actually wastes their time posting a "You should consider a GS1100" answer.

He clearly stated... I WANT TO REPAIR IT. It's in the title and the post itself. He never said anything about wanting to buy one.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Okay, sorry to have misconstrued anything. Epoxy may last a day or years, but with vibration on DP bike I highly doubt the longevity of the adhesion. Any further impact on the cracked part will surely sever again. Epoxy is worth a try since it's cheaper than replacing it unless someone gives him a headlight shroud for free. If I had one, I'd offer it for free. Maybe some fiberglass sheet and resin on the back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone know what type of plastic the fariing is? If its a type of ABS there is a way to make it into a sludge and sort of put it on like putty.

This link sort of describes it:
Here

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok I have a question about this. Now I'm not trying to be a smart a** (trust me you'll know when I am). Won't using a repaired light cover diminish the amount of light you have?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I have a question about this. Now I'm not trying to be a smart a** (trust me you'll know when I am). Won't using a repaired light cover diminish the amount of light you have?
LOL, No.:mad0235:

polypropylene
Thanks,,,,,,We Now Know What Type of Plastic it is!!! This will make a big difference in strategy.......Was thinking of using Plastic Weld. Sets in quickly type of stuff and I could use it to fix a plastic tank...

Still looking for feedback.......When I get around to it I'll post pictures of before and as I go along.........Still open for suggestions as I haven't started yet..........

Thanks.

BTW, Paulo888.......Thanks for the fiberglass idea.......Probably a lot of options out there.........

Peace
Ricky

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone know what type of plastic the fariing is? If its a type of ABS there is a way to make it into a sludge and sort of put it on like putty.

This link sort of describes it:
Here
Thanks,, this thread is beginning to be helpful.......Yippie

·
Registered
815 Posts
I hope you were talking about pre-08's though. I don't know what the 08 parts are.

I've put in a suggestion for a separate 08 wrench section since there has been more and more 08 specific threads that are turning the wrenching and mod section into a clusterf# of 08 and pre08 questions. Nip it in the bud now and this section can be saved.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well lots of suggestions

No.1 would probably be Welding Gun

No.2 would probably be a good epoxy

No.3 would probably be fiber glass treatment

No.4 would probably be a bumper repair kit.

No.5 would probably be regular JB weld and that is what I tried.
Not pretty put the process begins.......

So what type of paint works to cover up this mess?????????

Before

Work in Progress

Peace
Ricky

1 - 20 of 33 Posts