Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is acting up and not sure if I should replace cable yet or not. I've changed oil about two weeks ago (from 10-40 to 20-50 cos I'm in Mexico and it's pretty hot). Clutch cable started shredding a bit next to lever (only several strings). Been having hard time shifting into neutral lately. Yesterday on 380 mile ride as I was getting into town it was barely clutching. I tried adjusting it few times but it still feel pretty loose. Bike also died few times cos clutch was not engaging. It seems like it's time to replace cable but I wanted to see if I should check anything else while at it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My clutch is acting up and not sure if I should replace cable yet or not. I've changed oil about two weeks ago (from 10-40 to 20-50 cos I'm in Mexico and it's pretty hot). Clutch cable started shredding a bit next to lever (only several strings). Been having hard time shifting into neutral lately. Yesterday on 380 mile ride as I was getting into town it was barely clutching. I tried adjusting it few times but it still feel pretty loose. Bike also died few times cos clutch was not engaging. It seems like it's time to replace cable but I wanted to see if I should check anything else while at it.

Replace it quick. If it's breaking strands it won't last long.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
CAVEAT: I've never done this, or even seen it done.

In the gravest emergency, as in a broken clutch cable and no re-supply in sight in Mexico, I've heard tell of folks rigging up something to yank the engagement lever (atop the engine case) by hand. Sounds kinda awkward, and awfully difficult, but seems plausible, to me.

An expedient: If you can get to where someone has silver-solder capability, they may be able to cut the existing cable end and solder on a new "tablet." Or, a motorcycle shop could maybe adapt a replacement cable of similar length to the OEM product.

Dangerous and not recommended, but I HAVE experienced running with no clutch; foot-pedaling in neutral and kicking down into first, then shifting without the clutch as needed . . . yes, dangerous, and lots of stall-outs likely; more difficult in hilly terrain! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts