Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if a coolant tank from a different model will fit on the C without too much effort? I can find a few used tanks on eBay but nothing specific for the C model.

Thanks guys,

- J

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
What year is it?

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
The 2003 and 2004 used the same tank as an A model. What is different about the 2000 tank?

·
Registered
389 Posts
The "C" model takes a different P/N for the Coolant Overflow Tank? Can you check P/N 43078-1083?
Looks like all of the Coolant Recovery Tanks from 1987 through at least 2010 are the same P/N.

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Reactions: TheJimbonaut

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2003 and 2004 used the same tank as an A model. What is different about the 2000 tank?
I have no idea if the 2000 tank is any different from other years Tom. If the 2003/4 tank is the same as the A model, would older years be the same too? Can't find a part-specific tank for the C model - in fact having a hard time finding many part-specific parts for this bike at all. Seems like a lot of parts are interchangeable between the models, but there are definitely some C model parts that are very hard to track down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are the same for all KLRs the we got here in the states and that is a good part for at least the 2003/2004 C model.

I didn't think the C model changed all that much, but who knows?

By the by, Jim, I have considered using a Ninja tank to make more room. It looks easy enough to adapt. http://www.klrforum.com/2008-klr650-wrenching-mod-questions/58985-ninja-overflow-tank.html
Interesting plan Tom. Perhaps not this build, but the next dual sport I work on I'd like to completely relocate the coolant tank and radiator to clean up the front of the bike. The more ideas I have on how I can do this the better.

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
...If the 2003/4 tank is the same as the A model, would older years be the same too?...
No idea. We never got the C model in the states, so we have no resources to check, no people to ask, nada.

When I wonder stuff about the C model I usually look at UK sites, but sometimes find nothing or only sketchy data. My German sources aren't much help, either. All I know is that the reservoir is the same on all KLR650s 1987 through today and that the 2003/2004 C model used the same tank as the A model as of those dates.

I don't even know when the C model started other than 'sometime in the 90's' nor when it ended other than '2005 or later'.

Not much help, I know.

What's wrong with yours? Is it missing, or just suffering from something like 'Melted Nipple Syndrome'? If you have a picture we can pretty well determine what will fit. Even a picture of where it mounts would help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! melted nipple syndrome, that's exactly what's happened. Here's a pic -

- it's the small outlet circled in red that broke off when I tried to remove the hose.

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Man! PhotoBucket strikes again! I can't see that one even with a plug-in. I was able to bitch slap PB into letting me download it, though.

That looks to me to be a standard 1987-2010 KLR650 43078-1083 coolant reservoir.

You can find them pretty inexpensively on e-bay, though there isn't one on ebay.ca right now.

This one, on ebay.merka, is pretty typical at US$30. https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-Kawasaki-KL-KLR-650-Radiator-Coolant-Cooling-Reservoir/152798829798?hash=item2393851ce6:g:usIAAOSwl9RaFht2&vxp=mtr

Providing some bit of shielding against exhaust header heat to prevent Melted Nipple Syndrome ain't a bad idea. Easy to do with some .020" aluminium. http://www.klrforum.com/609738-post10.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent idea - yeah it's definitely a heat issue that's melted the nipple (not a sentence I'd thought I'd say when I woke up this morning), and so the heat shield is stellar thinking. I'll put it on the list, and will see if I can bag a new tank today. Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked up a used tank from a guy here for $25 CAD, looks exactly the same even though it's not from a C model. Think I'm in business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts