Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any advice as to a replacement seat for the KLR 650? I don't like the stock seat and know of only two after market seats. Corbin and Aftika single. Let me hear from you. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Does anybody have any advice as to a replacement seat for the KLR 650? I don't like the stock seat and know of only two after market seats. Corbin and Aftika single. Let me hear from you. Thanks

Corbin has the worst customer service of any business in the world (personal opinion)

I've never seen (in person) the Africa Single seat, but the photos look nice.

I've got a Travelcade Gel Seat from Dual Star. It's much more comfortable than the stocker, and is only a touch over $100.

I've had it on the bike for a couple years and it's holding up very nice. I've done 3-500 mile days on it in comfort, but will admit that a sheepskin aids comfort on long trips. My only real complaint about it is that the covering isn't waterproof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ive got the corbin flat model and it was the best money ive put into the bike so far, 2 years ago it only cost 269 to the house, but i understand the price has gone up, i highly recomend this seat, make sure you get the flat model, not the dished, if that is out of your price range i understand wallmart sells an atv cover for about 15 bucks that alot of people in north ga are buying and liking alot

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
i understand wallmart sells an atv cover for about 15 bucks that alot of people in north ga are buying and liking alot
I've got a few of them. Walmart seat covers, that is..
They're not bad, but I took mine off. I like the Travelcade/dead sheep combo better.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Russell also makes a nice seat, but the price has kept me away, I replaced the foam inside myself using a combination of foams, it isn't the best but I have done many miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Russell also makes a nice seat, but the price has kept me away,
The Russell seats are without a doubt, the most comfortable motorcycle seat made. That said, they're also the ugliest.. :23a:

On the other hand, they're so comfortable that you're always sitting on the bike, so you can't see the seat in the first place..:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Corbin dished all black leather. The only problem is I ordered no welts and it came with welts. Before I emailed Corbin and they say the KLR seats are made to order now, he told me it would take at least 3-4 weeks. I got the seat in 2 weeks.I was very suprised. Other than the price and the welts the seat is great. I ride 75%on road so the wider seat is nice. The seat has a lot of grip and a slight slope were its dished so sliding your weight from the front of the seat to the back is a bit of a pain. Also I'm 5'8 so to sit above the slope, on the most comforable spot puts my arms at almost full extension. I usually sit a little above half way up the incline where its more flat. It's much more comfortable than the stock seat in any position. It was a little akward at first but after 500 miles I am very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the dished Corbin too and I agree 100% with Gitrdun. Some days I love and some days I question it. It seems to be better on the lang trip rather than around town. I would like to hear from someone who has the afrika single one. Looks like the Corbin but not as hard and ot as $$$$.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am currently using an afrika single and have no compliants, its 10x more comfy then the stocker , I dont like the gap it has between the seat and the tank but as someone said ya cant see it while you are riding, have only been on afew rides with it, 100 miles yesturday but I can say it cost me 210 or so and with a deal like that I am smiling and my arse is happy...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've had a Corbin dished for a few years now, my old one had the leather cover and it was a pain riding long hours on the slab trying to maintain that comfortable spot. I managed to snag a new dished with their new seat cover material and you don't slide on it at all. I rode mine to Moab from western NY this past May/June and did several 900 mile days and one 1120 mile day, no complaints from my ass, my shoulders were a bit sore, but fighting high winds through Iowa and Nebraska will do that.
The review of the new seat is over at another forum, if your interested in it pm me and I'll give you the link.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Corbin dished seat on mine (after one of Gunny's tips in another forum) and the wife and I both love it compared to the stock seat. I ride two-up a lot so most of the time is spent on asphalt and the dished seat works great for me since I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. We both feel it's well worth the money after taking a 400+ mile trip on the stock seat. I would never trade this seat for the old stock one! I believe the instructions said it actually takes about 1,500 miles to break in to your pesonal shape but I don't have any complaints with it at all. It also has the nice non-slip type of covering on it.
Thanks again, Gunny!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts