Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced headlight bulbs to LED on a Gen 2?
Ive purchased some, have the bike all apart and can't figure out how to install them. They have a fan on the back so they won't be held in place by the original housing, (metal spring thing).
any input would be great. I watched a guy on youtube epoxy the in place, id rather not do that.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,351 Posts
Honestly, candidly, truthfully...

Can you get your money back?

You'd be better served with Philips XtremeVision +130s.

Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
I installed the previous version of this kit on my Gen 2 a couple of seasons ago when they first became available. Still going strong. I don't recall how many Lumens my version of the kit had, but the light output was at least twice what the bulbs were giving me, and I'm no longer worried that my bulbs are going to go out at unexpected times. I think this updated kit has a higher Lumens rating. I did have to adjust the lights a lot when first installed to get them aimed correctly (they were aimed too high).

The kit comes with some custom spacers so that the lights will fit. I don't see these type of spacers in the picture you posted.

I'm not affiliated with these guys. Just wanted LED headlights on my Gen 2 and these were the first ones to make an easy fit kit, that I could find in two years of searching.

KLR GEN 2/Versys/Ninja/Goldwing LED Headlight Bulb Kit

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you have a H7 type LED, notice that the KLR uses an adapter between the harness jack and the bulb plug. The adapter provides about 3/16" standoff between the bulb and the spring clip that holds the bulb in the fixture. You can make an adapter with approximately 3/16" of 3/4" PVC pipe with a flat spot filed on the on the side to fit the fixture end.

Then one wire from the LED power supply plugs into the jack (high or low beam) on the KLR headlight harness and the other wire from the power supply goes to the bulb. The bulb may have a fan or heat sink that screws onto the back of it.

I just remove some LED headlights and replaced them with H7 high output incandescent stock type bulbs. The LEDs put out out a lot of light, but it wasn't focused down the road. It was more like a flood light lighting up the tree limbs above and the fields on the side of the road with no extra light down the road. The high output Sylvania SilverStar Ultra from any auto parts store (similar to the Phillips Tom recommended) put more light down the road for me. https://www.osram-americas.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-ultra.aspx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts