Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I failed to say about replacing the bearings and races in your steer tube (if it ever comes to that) is that the procedure shown in the Clymer book is not quite as simple as they make it seem.:mad0235:

In order to remove the old races you must buy a bearing race "Drift" from Snap On Tools (that's where I found mine) and then do some fabricating. The drift will knock out those top races slicker than you know what but the bottoms are dam near impossible to get at.

I'm not going to bother writing the whole process up but if you find yourself in this circumstance and not knowing what to do PM me and I'll send specs on creating a bottom race drift.

Ard

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DX,

Have you had to do the bearing thing? I sallied forth with my Clymer in hand without fear and soon discovered that the bottom race was going to be a problem. After substantial trial and error I was able to fabricate a drift and remove them. Are you saying that you started from scratch and built one?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
My bad, no, when we run across a race we can't get a drift to catch on, we'll take some flat stock and weld it to a bar and then weld the flat stock to the race. The heat helps loosen the race and then you can pound the bar and knock the race out. Then we put in new races and bearings.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts