·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REALLY?!?!

{{{ sigh... }}}
YES,
REALLY!!!

Yesterday in a record-setting heat day I ran out of fuel on interstate 60 in Mesa. Can you believe that (come on now, be nice)?

Correct me if I'm wrong but motorcycles are never supposed to run out of fuel because we have a reserve petcock? I know, I know, some motorcycles don't, but most normal ones do!

On my way to my meeting across Mesa, I knew I was getting close to a petrol stop because I was watching my odometer and I get about 215 miles from a full tank on my GEN1. But I knew I could make it.

I ALSO KNEW...
if it 'hit the fan' that I'd get to flip the petcock over to reserve and continue on to a very close by gas station since I was in civilization and not on some crazy back road with some of you folks!

So I leave my meeting in Mesa to return home to the other side of Mesa and I'm anticipating to flip the switch, even riding in the slow lane on the freeway, Justen Kase! Why I chose this strategy I will never know, sometimes I am trying to be too efficient and end up shooting myself in the foot! So she starts to die and now comes the test, flip the lever over and get it running before an 18 wheeler rides up my butt! At first I flipped the lever the wrong way and she didn't budge and I've dealt with frozen petcock levers recently, but this petcock is new (some of you might remember I had a carb issue recently and replaced everything related). So I checked my rearviews again and merely flipped the lever the other way to no success.… Very glad to be in the number one lane at this time! The lever does move over correctly alright! But the fuel doesn't flow…

So I get pulled over and do the shake rattle and roll trying to move fuel in that monster tank over to the left side as well as moving the petcock lever every which-A-way, and nothing happens except for me risking killing the battery trying to restart her about five times. I'm 58YO and don't see as well as I used to, so I had to get off the bike to look at the lever more closely and see that while I had been riding for the last few months, the petcock arrow was ALREADY pointing to the "RES"!

Yeh,
OOPS
&
GRRRRRRR!!!

I lock up my ballistic jacket/gloves in my trunk and start walking with my slung briefcase and my EDC pack, and helmet in hand. It's almost 115° at this time and I'm in jeans and a nice shirt. I make a big boy decision to suck it up and just get to walking and to do so with a good attitude because this is really going to suck! Fortunately it was only a couple of miles to fuel and then the silly trip back because of how the freeway works with exits at all (Uber is our friend).

But this story has a happy ending… Not 3 minutes into the walk a local pulls over, slams on the brakes, and out of respect I start running towards him. When I get to his window he's all smiley-face and says "GET IN" with the more enthusiasm than a high school cheerleader!!! His name is John & works selling tools (DiamondTech?) and tells me that it's nonsense that he just drop me off; he'll take me back to my bike TOO!!!

And while I might've thought of it, it would've only been after the fact, he encourages me to take one of his small empty water bottles, cut the bottom off, and make a perfect funnel so I don't spill fuel all over my "painted by myself" fuel tank with the much larger larger water bottle half full of gas that I just bought at Circle K.
… Genius!

Of course he won't take the $20 I try to throw at him (AirForceVet) and is insistent such that had I forced it on him, it would've been disrespectful.

So, my story, if we were at the pub having a beer, would start something like this…
"I had the best experience running out of fuel today, would you like to hear about it?"

How about that?

And oh by the way, check your

PETCOCKS

people!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Glad it turned out not to crappy. My petcock gets exercys, as I deleted the vac part, so shut it off if not using bike for a wile.
I was helped out, by (I cant remember ) When I posted a record 140 miles to have to hit reserve, and that didn't work right. So got it running and shook back and forth across a busy 4 lane bridge to gas station.
Posted the record 140, and was told to remove petcock and check screen. And mine is a 2018. Screen was perfect. Then was advised to use dry gas, additive, because I was in rockport tx for the winter, and its humid by the ocean. Never had a problem again.
Im 56, and 5'11 170lbs, and my cardio stinks. Don't feel bad.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
No, "secret," as in laying the bike down on its left side to transfer remaining fuel to petcock side, reserve? Oughta be there, even after the OEM reserve volume is consumed.

Truth be told, I've forgotten to turn the petcock lever to ON, myself, after riding into the service station while on RES.

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
KLRCraig, I would have backed the rear wheel down slope off of the highway and then layed the bike completely flat on its LH side. There is usually about .2 gallon of fuel hiding on the RH side of the fuel tank. Its called the secret Reserve.

I'm almost 62 years, 165 lbs, used to be 6 feet tall (& shrinking) and can still pick up my KLR.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No, "secret," as in laying the bike down on its left side to transfer remaining fuel to petcock side, reserve? Oughta be there, even after the OEM reserve volume is consumed.

Truth be told, I've forgotten to turn the petcock lever to ON, myself, after riding into the service station while on RES.
Yes this works. Did it two weeks ago. Lol. Mines vac delete also.Rode over a mile back to a friend’s for fuel. After reserve was gone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
KLRCraig - Wow, I thought this only happened to me. You can believe this on not but I just ran out of fuel yesterday. I was approaching a college town on a small two lane road and just about there when the bike began to sputter cutting in-and-out. My first thought was "Man, I just put fuel in this a day or so ago - I can't be out of fuel now!" However, there it was. I quickly look in both my mirrors for any traffic behind and thankfully none. I find the first pull over and take it thankfully it was in a auto dealership. Once in the lot I can get off the bike and turn the petcock to Reserve having to remove my RH glove in order to do so. You see my SW-Motech crash bars block a clean access to the petcock making it hard to turn to Reserve while riding and trying to turn the valve in a direction I'm not used to all the while doing this left handed nonetheless. Thankfully I didn't need to travel too far to get fuel but it still shook me up a bit thinking this could have happened out somewhere that really could have sucked and maybe being by myself no less. Plus, thank goodness it wasn't 115 degrees in the shade outside.

So, for better or for worse, you're not alone. And, yes, I've left my petcock on Reserve after fueling, but yesterday I jumped all over that and made the switch back to Fuel On before I even knew what happened, almost scared myself. Now, I've not run the Reserve out of fuel before but you never know what the future may bring. Let's pray that never happens.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Everybody has done this at least once. It’s easy to forget to flip the petcock back to ON, especially if something or someone interrupts your routine. BTDT

·
Registered
115 Posts
2 things that i've trained myself to do occasionally as i ride, check that my blinker is off and that my fuel lever is pointing straight down. it has become habit every few minutes i pushin thee cancel and every hour or so, i reaxh down to the lever. I'm not OCD, i just dont want to push it or walk too far.

sre

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to see running near empty as some stupid test of manhood or something that ridiculous. One year I actually ran completely out of gas in my truck SEVEN times. I was in my fifties so no excuses, just idiocy. I managed to talk myself into grasping reality, finally.o_O

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used to carry a gas can with a spare gallon of fuel in the trunk for occasions like that. I used to push the limits on fuel because when i was younger and trying to stuff 6 pounds of shit into the proverbial 5pound bag, stopping at the gas station on the way somewhere might make me late. Anyway. I don’t have that problem anymore. When ever I get there is the right time!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow... I'M NOT ALONE!!!
(... didn't think I was).

That I-60 with cars ripping past me had me 'not feeling it' to do any laying on it's side shenanigans than I had already done making myself unsafe. I've done it before though (OEM Petcock) and it worked like a champ!

Also, after-market conversion to gravity fed petcock has the reserve pipe MUCH LOWER 'n OEM. I reckon on her side I coulda gotten myself up to the FuelStop, and I'll never know. I knew about the SecretReserve and maybe next time...
NEXT TIME!!!
NAW, NO NEXT TIME!

Was hoping DPell would chime in so I could tease him about 'not having my Chase Truck' to rescue me (that's how he used to ride ya'll!).

StevenE... I'M ALWAYS CHECKING MY TURN SIGS... HATE IT WHEN I FIND 'EM STILL ON, then trying to remember HOW LONG THEY DONE BEEN-A-BLANKIN'!!!
I'd add a 3rd 'Check' to your 2 Item CheckList, SPECIALLY for our KLRs... check your Oil Level Window before EVERY ride. I've read sad stories on here where Oil just SUDDENLY dries up and is GONE! Okay, not really, but because we don't check EVERY RIDE (right Tom Schmidt???), it can get away from us pretty quick. And yes, I've added to my PreFlightCheckList to CHECK MY PETCOCK LEVER EVERY FUEL STOP...
dadgummit.

Fun/Schmart Comments as per usual KLRForum.com... THANKS!

PS Site's New Format is AWESOME... makes me think to become a Premium Member just to pitch in, help out and do my part!

PPS I'm usually that 'half-full-tank' guy that heads to Petrol Station anyway to 'filler-er-up'... dangit!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DONE DID IT... PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP YA'LL!!!
'Out of appreciation to WHOMEVER runs/refreshes/administers this Site.
I'M QUITE SURE I'VE SAVED SUBSTANTIALLY more 'n the measly $19.99 for Yearly Premium Membership so I felt it a DUTY!

SO CHECK OUT MY NEW 'BADGE' YO!!!
All bow down to the Premium Membership, though I'm QUITE SURE I've done NOTHING TO EARN IT...
'just bought my way in.

Talk about 'Privilege'...

(ruh roh, heeeere weeee gooooo)...

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
Wow... I'M NOT ALONE!!!
(... didn't think I was).

Also, after-market conversion to gravity fed petcock has the reserve pipe MUCH LOWER 'n OEM. I reckon on her side I coulda gotten myself up to the FuelStop, and I'll never know. I knew about the SecretReserve and maybe next time...

Fun/Schmart Comments as per usual KLRForum.com... THANKS!
KLRCraig, All fuel petcocks which fit a KLR650 are 'gravity fed'.

Owners convert from automatic OFF to Manual OFF petcocks. :)

Or maybe I should say they convert from Automatic ON to Manual OFF petcocks and sometimes they pay a penalty for forgetting to turn the manual petcocks OFF, with a crankcase full of gasoline & possibly broken ring lands from hydro-locking the cylinder against an incompressable liquid.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did I 'mis-reference' trying to differentiate 'twixt Vacuum, non-Vacuum Petcock (which is what I switched to in order to have one less thing go wrong on the trail) by using the term "gravity-fed" (misnomer by me!!!)? It sounds like that's what you're sayin' PDW?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts