Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
1) Yes.
2) I have no idea how well it works but the bike still runs at 8500 miles on the odometer.

TooCheapToBuyNewOnesTwiceAnnualy

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Does anyone use one of these?

http://www.klr650.com/Steel Oil Filter.htm

I was wondering if they were any good or if I should stick with the Fram.

I had one on another bike...

They aren't cost effective IMHO. Say you change a filter every other oil change. Conservative 2K mile intervals. $4 per fliter. It's going to be 40K miles before you break even on the cost of the reusable filter.

Cleaning the reusable filter is a bit of a pain also. I sprayed mine off with brake cleaner but it's easier just to take out a paper filter and dump it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too have considered the reusealble oil filter. I think it is not cost effective but I am still on the fence as the machine should perform slightly better. I think there are slight improvements in flow cooling and overall protection. I would say if it looks cool and feels good do it...most of us KLR owners aint rich :)

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Does anyone use one of these?
I was wondering if they were any good or if I should stick with the Fram.

First of all don't use Fram filters. Google is your friend on that one.

In regard to the "reusable" filter. Not saying it's a bad thing but something about the thought of a reusable oil filter doesn't sit well with me. I'm old school I guess. To me they are only clean when you buy them. After that I don't think that it is possible to remove everything from the filter. We're talking microns here, stuff you can't really see. For me remove and replace. Filters are cheap if you buy them in quantity.

http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4842909

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I too have used one for years and years without any oil issues at all. Yes it was stupid expensive when I bought mine! Buy I looked at it as, when on a trip I never need to worry about finding a filter, just oil. A little gas to wash the filter out and then stuff her back in until I get home to do a real cleaning. with gas and compressed air. They catch a lot of crap and do fill up so you must clean them well or as said above, it will be an issue if you don't. Just as any filter can be if not cleaned and put back in clean.
I take mine out at an oil change and let soak in valsol at home, gas on the road, then clean airfilter while it's soaking and drying......it becomes a ritual.

To each thier own, just like Amsoil is the best oil to use in KLRs.....IMHO..lol.

:policeman:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yep i have had mine in since her first change at 3k, now just about to roll over 20k. personally i dont mind cleaning it, i dont find it hard to do at all. it WILL pay for itself and then it will SAVE <~~~ emphasis you money after that. i think i paid like 35 for mine. well worth it imho.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
First of all don't use Fram filters. Google is your friend on that one.

In regard to the "reusable" filter. Not saying it's a bad thing but something about the thought of a reusable;e oil filter doesn't sit well with me. I'm old school I guess. To me they are only clean when you buy them. After that I don't think that it is possible to remove everything front he filter. We're talking microns here, stuff you can't really see. For me remove and replace. Filters are cheap if you buy them in quantity.

http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4842909

I agree 1000% about the FRAM FILTERS. I cut apart a lot of filters when I was racing stock cars. The Fram filters had much less filter element than the other filters. That meant they would clog up much quicker. I use Wix or Kralinator or Purolator or anything but Fram. Napa filters are made by Wix if I remember correctly.
klrforever...do you feel the same about your reuseable air filter? :HappyRoll:
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Not slamming the re-useable oil filters but I do have some concerns about them regardless of the testimonials offered here.

I use a Wix oil filter (24951). Their website claims 24 micron filtration, the re-useable linked to in the OP is 35 micron. I agree that's a small difference but my biggest concern would be how clean you can get it after subsequent re-use. Point being if it clogs and you cant tell, the oil will hit the bypass and go along un-filtered.

Paper filters replaced at every oil change are cheap enough to give me that piece of mind.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
:WellDone:

What Flash said.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
klrforever...do you feel the same about your reuseable air filter? :HappyRoll:
Regards....justjeff

Ya I hear ya. I'm not crazy about that set-up but it's what the manufacturer gives you.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I too have used one for years and years without any oil issues at all.

To each thier own, just like Amsoil is the best oil to use in KLRs.....IMHO..lol.
Like you said to each his own. If you think the stainless filter will work for you then go for it. That's the trouble with the net - too many opinions to make an decision. One opinion will have you agreeing and another opposite.

Same goes for oil. Seems somewhere I re-quoted with edit - "I wouldn't use it to keep the weeds down in my ditch!!!":laugh2:

Use what you want and just get out and ride for crying out loud.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
:WellDone:

What Flash said.
Actually I agree with you and Flash too. My time to clean the filter has to be worth something.
I have often thought about contaminating the inside of the airfilter while I am washing it. Does the dirt transfer? Did I get it clean enough?
If I could get an a disposable air filter at a reasonable price that would work as good as a foam filter I would use that too.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Good point about the air filters. I have no idea what the oiled foam filters can catch micron wise. Pretty sure it's the oil that catches the smaller particles and the foam is just a way to hold the oil? Seems to me a clogged air filter would be easier to spot given the symptoms than a clogged oil filter.

On another forum there was a discussion similar to this one concerning the Scott's stainless oil filter. IIRC it was said they could be cleaned ultrasonically in a small tank containing a solvent of some sort.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Seems to me a clogged air filter would be easier to spot given the symptoms than a clogged oil filter.
Indeed, since KLRs have BYPASS VALVES, avoiding the oil filter entirely when the filter is clogged.

I don't think the oil filter is as critical as some do, given frequent oil changes. The Kawasaki KLR Owner's Manual recommends oil filter change only every other oil change. Honda, for years, produced off-road machines (e.g., trail bikes and ATCs ("3-wheelers") with no oil filters at all.

Yet, frequent oil filter changes, and fine particle restriction, do no harm. As posted previously on this thread, "To each his own."

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Ha, yes I remember my Honda 450 had a centrifugal "oil filter" needing cleaning periodically.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
I don't think the oil filter is as critical as some do, given frequent oil changes. The Kawasaki KLR Owner's Manual recommends oil filter change only every other oil change. Honda, for years, produced off-road machines (e.g., trail bikes and ATCs ("3-wheelers") with no oil filters at all.

Yet, frequent oil filter changes, and fine particle restriction, do no harm. As posted previously on this thread, "To each his own."
The wife's new Honda 250 4-wheeler (2011) doesn't have a standard owner-serviced oil filter. Online research reveals it has the same "centrifugal filter" that flash mentioned earlier.

For the KLR, I just use cheap pleated paper filters I buy in bulk off eBay, but think I'm going to order a 10-pack of the ones klr4ever linked to: they're even cheaper than the ones I've found.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts