Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My first KLR 650, had lots of Harleys and BEEMERS. I have about 1.500 miles on it now and its stock except for crash bars. ( and my 17 tooth front sprocket) I do highway and gravel roads and logging roads/fire roads. Ill be lucky to get 3,000 miles out of the rear stock tire. I am now in northern MN. lots of gravel roads and flat straight highways. The bike loves gravel and is a joy to be able to not have a street bike to enjoy the back roads. The speedo seems to be 2.5-3 mph off. With the 17 tooth sprocket its a pleasure to drive. In my opinion. Im about 170lbs and 5.11 with a full face helmet with a good head wind it runs out of power around speedo 80mph. Last night outrunning a rain storm, with the heavy wind at my back, running 6,000 rpms, I was doing 100 or more, speedo. Smooth as heck. So far I love the bike its so simple and back to basic.
On my last Harley a street bob, when the speedo hit 82 mph the front end would have a slow wobble, a $270 front stabilizer and it stopped the wobble. KLR no wobble and rides on rails.
Since its not a fashion show for me anymore. first thing I did was to take all the staples out of the seat and have at it with the kitchen electric knife and restaple it. I can now have both feet on the ground almost flat footed.
So far everyone hear seems helpful and friendly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are running as hard and fast as it sounds, be sure to keep an eye on the oil level.
My 2010 KLR didn't use much when riding locally, but when blasting across Northern Labrador at 80mph, it decided eat nearly a quart every tankful !
Upon returning home, a 685 kit solved that problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts