Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a dumb question, but I am gonna ask it since I don't know. I have a 2018 KLR650. Just got it and I love the ride! I am 6ft tall with long legs but I find myself up on my toes when on the bike. Is there a way to lower the seat height just a bit so I can stand flat footed?

I have looked at the owners manual and repair manual and it appears that maybe an adjustment of the pre-load could do it. I put a socket on it but it felt tight and I didn't want to force it and bust something.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but I am gonna ask it since I don't know. I have a 2018 KLR650. Just got it and I love the ride! I am 6ft tall with long legs but I find myself up on my toes when on the bike. Is there a way to lower the seat height just a bit so I can stand flat footed?

I have looked at the owners manual and repair manual and it appears that maybe an adjustment of the pre-load could do it. I put a socket on it but it felt tight and I didn't want to force it and bust something.

JNS foot peg lowering brackets is what you need.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I think you'll find that the bike gets shorter the more you ride it. Well,,,, maybe not really but it feels that way. It didn't take long and I'm 6' as well. There's no seat adjustment but you can lower the bike with new links. I'd give it some time before you go down that road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will wait a bit then. Hopefully the suspension loosens up. I weigh over 200 and was surprised that the bike doesn't move much when I get on it.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
You shouldn't be able to flat foot it and don't need to be able to flat foot it. A dual sport is tall for a reason. If you lower it with links you're just screwing up the suspension. If you install a lowered seat you're just screwing up the seat and your ability to move around on the bike.

If you want to flat foot a bike, get a cruiser or crotch rocket.

Reactions: Toney

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thanks, I will wait a bit then. Hopefully the suspension loosens up. I weigh over 200 and was surprised that the bike doesn't move much when I get on it.
I don't think the bike will "loosen up", you'll just get used to it. If not you can lower it but I wouldn't. You could always find a Goldwing club to ride with. They're really into ice cream so if you ride with them long enough, you may end up being able to flat foot the bike :)

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
At 6' you do not need to lower the bike. Setting the sag properly is done for proper suspension action, not to adjust the seat height; set the preload for about 30% of the travel or about 2 1/4" front and rear. Definitely keep it in the 25-33% range.

As far as the seat height goes; you'll get used to it. You can also try taller boots......if you're still not happy you can cut down the seat foam some, though that isn't ideal either (as Tom mentioned). My ex-wife rode a stock height KLR at 5'4".....but she was also the PNWMA Women's offroad champion for 4 years in a row.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Those don't help much with stand-over, though, and they are just like being on tippy-toe.

These are biker-approved:
https://youtu.be/BodXwAYeTfM

Reactions: Toney

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Gold Wing.....I came from a Harley Touring bike. I just don't think at my height I should be up on tip toes at a stop light. Makes backing around on sloped gravel driveway at home and work more of a work out. I don't want to screw up the suspension so I will just leave it for now. Most all my riding is gonna be on the street. Been too many years since I rode a bike in the dirt. And I don't heal that fast any more. I have ATVs for the dirt.

What can be done about the seat? 20 mile ride today running errands and my boys went numb. I saw another thread about the seat pushing me forward squashing the boys and today figured out that is the problem.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
The stock seat is nothing to write home about, and the newer one is better than the old ones were! They were real ass-hatchets. There are lots of aftermarket options, from complete seats like the Corbins or just covers like Seat Concepts. Look around and see what fits your pocketbook. Or make your own.

I have a 32" inseam and can't flatfoot mine. I might have been able to if it was stock, but my shock was built extra long and I have a Gen 1 linkage on the swingarm. You learn to park facing downhill and to maneuver the bike while off it if you have to. It's a tall bike; no two ways about it. Nature of the beast.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
The seat height is a function of having the pegs in the right spot and a decent amount of suspension travel. KLR - 35", my KTM300 - 37.8" ...The KTM is much thinner though and since it has more travel there is more sag so the seat height isn't much different than a KLR. FWIW, the new Africa Twin Adventure has a seat height of 35.4". Cruisers get you sitting lower by moving the seat down and back but you'd never be able to use the pegs in the standard position so they push them way forward and VOILA! low seat height.....but you can't stand anymore and standing is a requirement for proper offroad riding.

....all that to say, Tom is right (again) and it just is what it is.

note: most more "modern" ADV bikes and the like, have a thin stepped seat to get the seat lower which sucks to move about offroad and substantially increases the seated to standing position effort (after a few thousand times, it your legs start to get a bit tired!).

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can learn to live with the seat height, but not the comfort part. I looked at the Seat Concept site. Does their "comfort" seat remove the numb balls issue? It looks to be pretty flat

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
The whole numb nutz thing varies from individual to individual and I think is a function of your normal riding position, peg height, bar position, and seat shape. Some seats will slide you forward. The KLR has a big 'thing' (it must have a name for a seat technologist) that rides up the tank. If you sit forward you mash yer nutz into it. If the seat slopes forward (I don't think the KLR's does, but that's just me) you'll ram yer nutz into it. If the pegs are high and your knees are up, that can help, but may not be comfortable. if the pegs are low you might have a bit more pressure on the nether regions. A stepped seat traps you into a riding position that is forward and may shove yer nutz into that 'thing'.

Some like a soft seat while others like a hard one. Me, I like the seat to be damn hard. It's easier to move around on and gives me better support of the nether regions and thighs.

The short story is that you'll have to try and figure out what's making the numb nutz in your case and try and treat it.

I don't think that the KLR seat needs to be bolted in place because yer bewtoks hold it in place while you're on it and in control. If you're not on it and in control and it flies off you've probably got bigger worries. So, you have some freedom to play with the angle of the seat. You can put some bumpers under the back and slope it forward, you can trim the pan and slope it back. You can even remove the cover and shave the foam, sloping it back or forward if you feel brave.

Some folks find that bicycle shorts without padding help keep yer, ah, package in a good place. Tighty whities versus boxers, too.

You may also try bringing the bars up and back, or just back, and see if that helps.

Sit on it, analyze, and make some changes.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Before you go buy a seat and spend hundreds of dollars, just to find out it sucks too, go to Walmart and pick up a ATV seat cover. If that's all you buy, about 20 bucks should get you out the door without shoplifting anything. Keep the package. Ride with it, fart on it a few times and if you don't like it, take it back. Other than that, a seat is a $500 guess. Everybodys ass is different.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
The KLR has a big 'thing' (it must have a name for a seat technologist) that rides up the tank. If you sit forward you mash yer nutz into it. A stepped seat traps you into a riding position that is forward and may shove yer nutz into that 'thing'.

Back in 1982, no bikes had that "thing".....but a company called Safety CEET started marketing them, I had one on my RM250Z. Up until then, when you slid forward, your nether bits contacted the hard tank - worse was a miscalculated jump that had you land there... By 1984 manufacturers started incorporating that "Thing" onto all their seats and the world was a better place. :grin2:

...and that is your history lesson for today!

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
I don't think that the KLR seat needs to be bolted in place because yer bewtoks hold it in place while you're on it and in control. If you're not on it and in control and it flies off you've probably got bigger worries.
I bolt my seats down because I know I'd be fetching them from down the trail periodically.....but my usage is admittedly atypical and I ride my KLR where most won't. I stand 75% of the time offroad.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
If one trucks or trailers their KLR with a unbolted seat in an exposed truck or trailer, one may have to ride their Entire ride standing up after they get to their riding area. ;)

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Unless you can lasso a calf, throw a quick hitch around the 'thing', then jump off while the KLR keeps the lariat taut and you throw a couple of quick half-hitches on the calf with the hogtie, I'd say not*.

I nominate 'nut ramp' until I am proven wrong.

Which I often am...

*Sorry, too much time spent in the stockyards in my yute. I remember being about four and complaining to my grandpa that it stunk in the yard and holding pens. He said, "Smells like money to me!". He was a sheep man. The smell of sheep would knock a buzzard off a shit wagon. Worse than wet wool socks. Can't stand lamb or mutton to this day.

Pay no mind to what he said, though. He was always saying weird stuff. He used to say "That guy talks like a man with a paper asshole". I've still no idea what he meant...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts