Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Rider review 2008 KLR

11K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  650KLR 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Nice article.
I wish they would have talked about the doohickey.

But I'm sure that we're not going to hear about that until someone buys one and takes the covers off to take a look.

Brian

#7 · (Edited)
Nice article.
I wish they would have talked about the doohickey.

But I'm sure that we're not going to hear about that until someone buys one and takes the covers off to take a look.

Brian
I saw on ADVrider that the new doo has the same old part number, but is now a one pc. design, and the slotted area is much thicker material. Basically, they kinda took one of the aftermarket designs and made it seemingly stronger, yet cheaper to make.

I'll see if I can hunt down the pictures..

http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/techinsight.html

#10 ·
Yeah, that's what it's called.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A stress concentration (often called stress raisers or stress risers) is a location in an object where stress is concentrated. An object is strongest when force is evenly distributed among it, but an area of stress concentration results in a localized increase in stress at that location. A material can fail, via a propagating crack, when a concentrated stress exceeds the material's theoretical cohesive strength. The real fracture strength of a material is always lower than the theoretical value because all materials contain small cracks that concentrate stress."

The stress that the lever see's will concentrate in the squared edge area..it's just a fact. If it was the same material as what Mike uses the design would be sufficient...I'm doubting they went to the expense.

#11 ·
Here is a good example of what a square edge will do.

If they had put a bevel to that edge it would relieve the stress. However there might still be the issue of embossing of the part into the aluminum behind the lever if the part can deform when the adjustment bolt is torqued. We'll have to see how it goes, but I'm skeptical.

#12 ·
I had intentions of being one of the first to own one of the 08's, but hitting the road has caused me to wait. Maybe I'll watch E-Bay and catch one about 2 months old and really low miles already farkeled out that someone has to sell because they decided they want their cruiser back.:character00286:

#13 ·
While it’s true that square edges create stress concentrations I don't know if its really THE issue with the doo. I think it’s the material that would be the controlling factor in this application.

Brian

#14 · (Edited)
iam just not happy with kawasaki changes. to the front end and rear ok better breaks fine but i think thay went to far with the change... just what i think about the 08 650KLR.. MY O3 KLR looks much better i think and not saying it. i mean it my bike looks more dirt ready as well as street.. now it looks to street for me...... well thay need to bring back the UNI-TRAK decal to the swingarm.. and to me kawasaki shoukd not be BLUE its just not right MY green is stock and the best i think with gold and yellow and black.sweet!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.