Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im Gladiator, Im looking at buying a new KLR 650. I am 5'11 and weigh around 320 yes Im a big guy. Will this bike be able to handle my weight. I ride a VTX 1800 but it is no good offroad or even a dirt road and I love to Camp and explore. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Gladiator

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Sure will!! You might need to upgrade your rear suspension, but that's a given with any bike.. I'd recommend dumping your fork oil and refilling with ATF type F, which is 7.5w, rather than the stock 5w.

The bike will handle you just fine.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am 6'1 and 308. I runs along at 70-75 mph with no problem at all. It could use a heavier shock/spring in the rear. You will want o replace the stock seat. Be advised that the Sargent, while better than stock,is likely not the answer. I do not know about the Corbin. I am going to try a walley world atv pad in conjunction with my Sargent seat. I like this bike a lot. If I can get my seating issues addresses, then I will be sitting pretty!!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Before I bought a used Russell Day Long seat, I rode for years on the Saddleman Gel seat from Dual Star.. The Dual Star seat, and a slab of dead sheep hide, and I was good for 500 or more miles in complete comfort..

The gel seat took 30 minutes to install and cost around $100.. I bought a section of dead sheep for $10 from the "crap bin" at a local bike rally..

I rode 100 miles this afternoon on my Russell.. I wish my computer chair were as comfortable..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the seat on my VTX done at Meancitycycles for $140. Two 1in layers of memory foam. Love every minute of my rides. They only do bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I've never been in a situation where I felt my great mass reduced the performance of the KLR. I'm 6'4" and when I bought it, I weighed around 300. In fact, for my size, it's one of the most comfortable motorcycles I've ever ridden. I'm down to about 270 now, but it seems for every pound I lose, I find another pound of crap to haul around on the bike that I think I might need and use some day. I'm sure I might see a difference if I weighed 100 pounds less, but that ain't gonna happen.

I did install raising links in the rear to give the rear shock a little advantage since the loss of a little suspension travel doesn't matter much with my riding. I plan to upgrade the shock one of these days. It'll handle you just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Gladiator! I am 6 feetish and 265ish! LOL! I roll around with my shock on 3 as it firms up the ride and seems to level out the lights. I think you will be just fine. Just remember, as I think I saw it quoted before, "We all look like giants riding burros!" LOL! Go with BLUE! Blue is too cool!!!!! LOL!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Am I the only Large Unit around here who rides with his stock shock set on "5?"
I'm 6'4", 290 as well, told the dealer to set it there before I even rode it. Maybe I should try it a 3 or 4? Had some one else tell me it might be easier on the backside if I loosen the spring on the road and tighten it up for the dirt.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I'm 6'4", 290 as well, told the dealer to set it there before I even rode it. Maybe I should try it a 3 or 4? Had some one else tell me it might be easier on the backside if a loosen the spring on the rode and tighten it up for the dirt.
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm leery of the spring preload adjuster on the stock shock. I set it on 5 and I don't mess with it. Seems like it wouldn't take much of a lapse in judgement to somehow break it to where it's stuck on a setting and you can't change it anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Im Gladiator, Im looking at buying a new KLR 650. I am 5'11 and weigh around 320 yes Im a big guy. Will this bike be able to handle my weight. I ride a VTX 1800 but it is no good offroad or even a dirt road and I love to Camp and explore. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Gladiator
I'm the same size and haven't had a single problem, and I don't think you would either. And as far as the seat all I did was the Wally world seat pad with no complaints.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK, I'm then little guy, 5'7" and 170. My '09 is set-up completely stock. I had an '01 KLR Jr before this, so that helped me in being used to the high seat. When I'm stopped I either tippy toe on both feet or flat foot on one foot. In high winds on the highway, I sit pretty much on the gas tank, (reminds of the MX I did as a teenager), and hunker down a little. That's really the closest thing I've had to any problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
5'10" and 250ish. Stock shock at 5 and no problems, in fact I am looking at upgrading to a heavier spring. Have done 2 up with my son, 130 pounds and it is fine, but the headlight is a little high....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts