Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's time to think about some things before you ride. We're lucky to have a "hobby" that we can still do somewhat safely but there's some things we should think about. I'd rather exaggerate my precautions than get this FN virus. I smoked for over 40 years. Just a few weeks ago I had an infection in my lungs. I really don't want this bug.

Please remember, if you crash and get hurt, you may have to go to the hospital. Good luck with that! Also do you think other riders would rush to your aid right now? This might be a good time to ride conservatively.

Ride alone or only with persons from your household.

Take some soap with you and wash your hands. Gas stations sometimes have water outside. Use that. Avoid going inside.

Wear rubber gloves at the gas pump. 1000 people touched it before you and it was last washed ten years ago. You could pump using only one glove to save your stash of gloves. If you don't have gloves use hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol after fueling. If I didn't have those items, I would use some brake clean which is acetone, (your wife has fingernail polish remover that is acetone). I've always kept gloves in my bike anyway in case I happened upon another rider that had crashed.

Think about where you are going to ride. Avoid traffic where you'll be exposed to some dude coughing next to you with his window open. We rode the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday. I was surprised how many people were there. The few times we stopped, I picked the pull offs that no other people were at. Expect more people to be out. Avoid them.

Avoid restrooms! If you're in "the wild", piss and/or crap in the woods. Pack toilet paper. If there's no woods, limit your water intake so you piss less.

Take all food and drinks from home. Don't go into the stores. Use vending machines if you have to but remember those items were stocked by a human that could be infected. Wipe down that coke can with a disinfecting wipe.

Treat everyone you encounter as if both of you are infected.

Guys, stay safe. This virus will be here a long time and is no joke, it will kick your ass and kill you parents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good advice overall. I rode Blue Ridge a couple of years ago - pretty country you have out there.

This virus will be here a long time and is no joke, it will kick your ass and kill you parents.
It won't just kill your parents - a teenager in CA died from COVID-19 complications. This whole thing is a lot more serious than many people want us to believe...

·
Registered
165 Posts
scary stuff for sure. I have been out a few times already (in Canada)its been chilly but nice. I for one think riding is the best form of social distancing. I agree with you guys its going to be awhile before we are all out of the woods on this one. Please be safe out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found this on eBay and it's totally fitting for the times we're in, with the dystopian horizon we are now part of. Anyhow, I ordered a few of these way cool decals. Check them out....https://www.ebay.com/itm/CovidRider-motorcycle-decal-NEW-DESIGN-FOR-THE-TIMES-Original-concept-and-d/284002796999

btw, I have no vested interest in this listing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just ordered one for each of my bikes!

\
I found this on eBay and it's totally fitting for the times we're in, with the dystopian horizon we are now part of. Anyhow, I ordered a few of these way cool decals. Check them out....https://www.ebay.com/itm/CovidRider-motorcycle-decal-NEW-DESIGN-FOR-THE-TIMES-Original-concept-and-d/284002796999

btw, I have no vested interest in this listing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I mentioned earlier on the forum that I went to the Sturgis motorcycle rally a
Month ago. Anecdotally, I can say that no one in my couple handfuls of friends that I camped and partied and rode and hung around with in Sturgis last month has developed COVID, despite mixing with a couple hundred thousand other bikers in large gatherings. Our precautions consisted of the usual methods of keeping hands away from faces, sanitizing or washing regularly, and keeping some extra social distance from those not in our group, as much as possible. Very few people wore masks, usually when in close proximity to others inside stores or food places.

On the other hand, NO published research has (yet) demonstrated that lockdowns have reduced the spread of the virus.
My take-away: Use common sense, and infection control procedures proven over the past 150 years or so, and go live your life.

I picked up a T-shirt for a friend that had a picture of an antique (1930’s) motorcycle with the tag line, “Social Distancing Machine”.

So get out and ride and maintain your social distance.

PK

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
There was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth that Sturgis was going to be a "superspreader" event where "people would take the virus home with them." If you watch the news, the virus is already insidiously lurking just outside your front door to kill you no matter where you live so I don't get the whole "superspreader" theory.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lots of good words in there by the OP.
BRP on a holiday weekend? Brave :)
If you're in "the wild", piss and/or crap in the woods. Pack toilet paper.
And pack it out! So tired of seeing used TP everywhere. Or bring a lighter and burn it.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
There was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth that Sturgis was going to be a "superspreader" event where "people would take the virus home with them." If you watch the news, the virus is already insidiously lurking just outside your front door to kill you no matter where you live so I don't get the whole "superspreader" theory.
If that is your problem, then I don't know how you can enjoy any movie or other form of entertainment.

What you are lacking here, planalp, is "the willing suspension of disbelief".

No less than the great critic, Lionel Trilling, said "It is now life and not art that requires the willing suspension of disbelief."

Here, you can practice with this. Just try and imagine that the smoke that goes after children is Teh COVID. It works the same way.

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Hell, I'm a Master at the willing suspension of disbelief. My ongoing 40 years of alcohol and tobacco abuse alone attest to that. I do try not to smoke around kids, though.

My cavalier attitude about life in general will probably kill me one of these days...............

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Iono, you seem a lot like me and I've never been killed. Not even once.

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
On the other hand, Missouri recently passed legislation where if you're over 28 (I think) and have health insurance, you don't have to wear a motorcycle helmet. It seems like nobody is wearing one now. I will continue to wear a helmet. Why? Because Even Knievel said I should, that's why.

That, and the idea of my head hitting something hard just gives me the willies............

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Under the right circumstances, I used to ride with no helmet. I would still do it, I suppose. There's nothing quite like riding along a quiet, country backroad at a fairly sedate pace with the wind blowing through your ears.

The last time I rode with no helmet was toodling through the petrified forest a few years back. I don't know why it is so named; I didn't find it to be a scary place at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Only times I've rode without a helmet was back at Parris Island, little town of Beaufort, SC. Was changing my handgrips one time and had to run to the parts store to break one of the bolts loose. Got a manual impact driver for brakes and beat 'em loose. The other wouldn't loosen, stripped...drilled it out back at home and used a vice grip to turn the bolt out. But yeah, rode in a t-shirt, shorts, flip flops, and shades. They flew off, but yeah hurt my toes and it was only a few miles. Figured I had to do it once in my life. Think I bursted to 80 and just went 50 rest of the way...wind made my arms feel numb.

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
I have ditched the helmet cruising on backcountry gravel roads in the past but have a hard time parting with it on pavement.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
I ride in flip-flops, shorts, and a tank top all the time, but only around the neighborhood.

I think I'd be too skeered to ride with no helmet on a gravel road. I'd surely fall down.

Reactions: samuel and ymracing

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Reactions: AzMtnThumper

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, I saw that “news” a couple days ago too. It doesn’t pass the common sense test. As i said above, of the ten or so close group of people I hung and partied with, no one has developed it. Of the several more handfuls of people I know who went, and have swapped stories with, none of them got infected either. And no contact tracers followed up with any of us. According to the “study,” more than 250,000 cases resulted from 465,000 attendees. I don’t think that many people attended this year. The attendance was down significantly from the last time I went, 2 years ago. And if that infection rate is anywhere in the ballpark, about half of the people I know should have been infected.

I also can attest that everyone who went to Sturgis this year knew that the media was looking to make some kind of story out of attending Sturgis and spreading COVID. The MC on the Buffalo Chip stage made that point several times while encouraging everyone to keep safe. I doubt anyone is surprised by this fake news hit job.

And if anyone offers me $26,000 to NOT go to Sturgis next year, hey, sign me up!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts