Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking to buy a 3/4 riding jacket soon and was looking for any suggestion.
So far I looked at the Tour Master on-line and the Scorpion Commander at a local shop.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, there is only one jacket.. Aerostich Darien..

Yeah, they're not the cheapest, but the venting works, they're built to last for YEARS, and when you get tired of the jacket, you can sell it on eBay for more money than the other jackets sell for when new.. :)

If I didn't wear Aerostich, I'd look into Olympia stuff.. Also very good quality..

Yeah, I've worn a lot of other jackets over the years, but I always return to Stich stuff..

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Paper is right, anything Aerostich is great. I hope to be able to afford some of it some day! I'm using the First Gear Kathmandu jacket and pants and am very satisfied. Also have a First Gear Mesh Tex jacket that I like for the warmer months. If at all possible, try on before buying as not all sizes are equal between manufacturers.

Dang Paper, that's a beautiful bike... you suck!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Paper is right, anything Aerostich is great.
And I'm first to admit that my current riding gear was all purchased on eBay and was used.. The jacket in that photo was a few years old, but the prior owner had only used it a couple times, as it was still stiff like they are when new.. The Darien pants were also a used eBay purchase.. I got both for a touch under half of new prices and got barely used items.. My first Darien jacket is still going after 8 years of use, and I bought it used, too..:) It's just getting so it's not very waterproof anymore, so I don't wear it on trips.

Dang Paper, that's a beautiful bike... you suck!
Aww shucks.. :) I really got lucky with the purchase (used) and it's an amazing mile eater on any surface.. I still love my KLR, but I'm planning a 2 week trip out to the Canadian Rockies, and then zigzagging back and forth as we head to Colorado while staying in the mountains.. While the KLR could easily do the mountain riding, it's the 1500 miles to get out to the Canadian Rockies, and the 1000 mile ride back home when done playing that make the GS shine.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I've got an Olympia AST in hi-viz yellow. It's going on 4 years old and is holding up well.

I had a couple of other brands in the past (Fieldsheer and ?) but the Olympia is definitely a better jacket. Materials are beefier and the construction is higher quality. I wear it year year round from +100 to below freezing (with a heated liner).

·
Registered
507 Posts
I only know what I have and it works well year round here; First Gear Kilimanjaro and a pair of their pants as well. I finished that off with Sidi Canyon boots (almost 6 years now) and I've been happy with everything. I suspect that any of the posters who have good experiences with quality gear can be used as the guideline for your purchase.

Ard

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok, ok call me cheap (KLR right). I've had good luck with Joe Rocket ballistic stuff. Read negative reviews occasionally but have never had a problem with em. The pockets on the current model are a little small. You can carry everything but the kitchen sink in the Ballistic 6. :35a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Ok, ok call me cheap (KLR right). I've had good luck with Joe Rocket ballistic stuff. Read negative reviews occasionally but have never had a problem with em. The pockets on the current model are a little small. You can carry everything but the kitchen sink in the Ballistic 6. :35a:
Call me cheap, too. I have three joe rocket jackets. One, the only full leather, is one of the nicest jackets I have ever owned. I wear it sometimes when I'm not riding. I buy what newenough has on clearance.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That said, Paper convinced me to get a pair of held gloves and they are so awesome I am speechless. I would have had to buy a couple pairs in the time I've had them and they are comfortable as can be. So, quality might be something to look into.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't enough miles on mine to give a qualified review but the First Gear Rainier TPG is worth a look and the Brown/sand version is currently available at a great discount, I took a good rain ride in mine and it's looking great.

I own a Killimanjaro as well as the JR 3/4 Ballistic and they both have good qualitys I just wasn't getting the fit I was looking for.

I am new to KLR's and this site and don't want to start out on the wrong foot, a quick google search will find them if your interested in a look and they still have a bunch of sizes available.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be going to Phoenix and San Diego before spring so I will see what I can find.
The First Gear & Olympia will be 2 on my list to take a look at. I'm going to try to keep it around $200 to $300. I might hit up eBay after I figure out what I want. But will try to order from my local cycle shop here if their price is within reason.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had a Joe Rocket, Some REV'IT gear which was very nice. Just picked up the KLIM Latitude Jacket and pants, Love it!!! I wanted something Goretex without the Liners. A solid 3 season setup, Might be a little much for summer. I will pick up some mesh gear for the hot months on the east coast!!!

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I have a Tourmaster Transitions 2 jacket in high viz yellow and I really like it. It's nice and warm on cool days but when the mercury climbs it gets a little hot! It has a zip out liner that you can remove when it gets hot but it's a PITA to get back in so unless it's really hot I just leave it in. That being said, I seem to have gotten a little bigger and the jacket is pretty snug on me now so I will probably be shopping for another jacket in the spring... After reading all the reccomendations on the Aerostitch stuff I might look into those a bit... Ebay you said Paper? ;)

Edit: Ouch! till I saw the price! Guess I'll be sticking with Tourmaster! :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts