Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried to install risers on klr650?

how did you do with the cables?? ... i bought the risers but the cables are too short.. im trying to think if i can re-route it or do i have to replace them??

let me know what u did

thank u

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Generation 1: Eagle Mike 1.5" risers; some creative re-alignment of cable routing, as I recall; re-arrangement of handlebar hardware.

Stock cables work, except . . . be certain the "choke" cable isn't perturbed at full lock--with that condition, and an idling hot KLR650 engine, you'll kill it every time you're hard over.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added 2" rox to mine and it was not an issue.
Mine is 2013 and it does not look like that the oem cables would have a 2" slack. I'm also installing a 2" rox style risers
I'm specially worried about the choke cable

Should I try to route the wires on the side of the suspension forks?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Mine is 2013 and it does not look like that the oem cables would have a 2" slack. I'm also installing a 2" rox style risers
I'm specially worried about the choke cable

Should I try to route the wires on the side of the suspension forks?
As I recall I had to move them around but it's been a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
you can rotate the throttle to the underside, if necessary. Also an EM "choke" relocation bracket will help with the enricher knob. Some re-routing is necessary but new cables shouldn't be required for 2" risers.

Dave

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can rotate the throttle to the underside, if necessary. Also an EM "choke" relocation bracket will help with the enricher knob. Some re-routing is necessary but new cables shouldn't be required for 2" risers.

Dave
yea i figured it out.
rotated the throttle to the bottom, i had to reroute the clutch cable over the cooling tubes, i had to run the kill switch electrical behind the fork instead of in front of it, same for the choke cable.
and voila. done.!

it's so much better now.

i now i have a problem where my pants is scratching the hell out of my fuel tank, knee side.

it kind of killed my clear coat. i need to see if i can buff then apply a protective covering.. or knee tank pad

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i see that i can get film for the tank alone

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
When I last dealt with him all of his stuff was clear and he sold two different kinds, his own and the 3M. I see he has added the XPEL since I last visited his site. I've no idea what that is, nor the Scotchgard Pro, but it sounds sexy.

Let us know what you find out from him.

Tom

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i just called him, he said he will do any panel i want,
the price is very reasonable. tank alone was $15 to $25.

he have matt carbon fiber with texture, matt black, and clear.
he may have more shades...

thats cool, i may order the matt black or carbon.. ill see.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ORDERED a kit from the tankslapper... i will show the results once i have on! .. we will.

it was $43 shipped. side tank and top tank. matt black carbon like.

i was thinking to get the matt black no carbon.. but carbon maybe has more grip since it's textured.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
When I last dealt with him all of his stuff was clear and he sold two different kinds, his own and the 3M. I see he has added the XPEL since I last visited his site. I've no idea what that is, nor the Scotchgard Pro, but it sounds sexy.

Let us know what you find out from him.

Tom
XPEL is 3m's latest clearbra product.....non-yellowing, self healing, etc. Awesome but not cheap; I just paid $2,000 to have my hood, front end and rockers done on my Jaguar. ...probably overkill for a KLR. :)

Dave

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes thats what i ordered, XPEL ULTIMATE kit.

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
XPEL is 3m's latest clearbra product.....non-yellowing, self healing, etc. Awesome but not cheap; I just paid $2,000 to have my hood, front end and rockers done on my Jaguar. ...probably overkill for a KLR. :)

Dave
Ah! Thanks for the info, Dave!

"Overkill for my Forester, too", Tom said clearly.

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts