Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a set of risers last night on my KLR and now when I turn the handlebars for lock, a cable or wire must be pulling and shutting the motorcycle off. Any ideas from you guys on which one I should check first.

2014 model

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep, its gotta be a really simple thing

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Installed a set of risers last night on my KLR and now when I turn the handlebars for lock, a cable or wire must be pulling and shutting the motorcycle off. Any ideas from you guys on which one I should check first.

2014 model

Sammy

I'll suggest that you probably need to remove the cold start cable from the stupid little loop and re-route it to acheive some cable slack during all steering angles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. As a noobie to the KLR, what is the cold start cable? I assume the choke, but wanted to confirm.

Sammy

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Thank you all. As a noobie to the KLR, what is the cold start cable? I assume the choke, but wanted to confirm.
Yes, the "CHOKE" cable (more accurate nomenclature, the "starting enricher" cable).

Not to be overly pedantic (I hope), but . . . a warm KLR650 on idle will DIE if the choke (starting enricher) cable is perturbed, even ever so slightly.

Handlebar risers sometimes stress choke cables, removing slack available with stock-height handlebars; then when the handlebars are moved to their extreme left and/or right positions, the cable may inadvertently pull the starting enricher from its closed position, STALLING the engine.

SOLUTION (in this case): Re-route, and/or re-adjust the choke cable routing. A simple re-arrangement of handlebar cable bracket (changing angle and/or position) may restore the needed cable slack, or . . . the cable may be more dramatically re-routed.

Summarizing: After installing handlebar risers, the choke cable may be binding at extreme directional (left and/or right) handlebar stop movement, perturbing the "choke" (starting enricher) and stalling a warm engine running at idle. Fixable by restoring slack to "choke" cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts