Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 - Road test - with progressive springs, fork brace, and raising links installed

2009 KLR-650 Fork Brace, Raising Links, and Progressive Fork Spring Installation Testing:

Today I took her for a road test after finishing up putting new progressive fork springs in, an Eagle Mike fork brace on, and some of Mike's R1 raising links on - as well.

The improvement during my road test today was very noticeable. WOW - a higher, stronger and more stable feeling bike. Very nice. I weigh about 220, and with riding gear and a backpack on that takes it up to about 250.

Notes:

1) NEW SEAT HEIGHT: The overall new seat height of the bike with the R1 raising links installed is now 36" from the concrete floor to he lowest part of the stock seat. I forgot to measure it before I put them on - so I don't know what it was before the raising links went on. I'm 6 foot with a 32" inseam, and with my boots on did not notice any severe change when putting my feet down - but the bike is definitely higher. I liked it.

2) NO MORE MUSH DOWN: When I mount the bike, it's not as mushy as it was before - the rear shock is still too weak and is gonna get redone or replaced - - but with the new raising links, the overall drop when I get on the bike is less now. It's stiffer. It does still load down when you climb on, but not as bad as it was doing. I set the pre-load to 3 and the screw at the bottom of the shock adjusted to about half way. It's definitely better in town, and on the highway too now. As noted above, it starts at 36" and probably sags when mounted about 2 or 3 inches total.

3) STIFFER STRONGER FEELING FRONT END: The front end seems to be much improved as well. I believe it's stiffer, and stronger than before. It feels more solid and planted, more like the last bike - a V-Strom - did. I liked it on the highway today better than before. The 70 MPH wobble it had before still showed up a hair, but that could be wheel balance or the front fender too. I've read a lot of posts that describe it as a feature maybe, not an anomaly? I don't know for sure. I did have it up to 95 on the stock speedo, and it was solid. I like it!

4) FRONT FENDER: I have not replaced my stock front fender yet. I have one on hand, but need to get it fitted up. I think it's gonna help too with front end stability. I'll update again when I get that installed.

Some pics of the Eagle Mike Fork Brace and Raising Link installs on the 2009 KLR-650:

more images;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626253783212/

------------------------------------

Some pics of the Progressive Fork Springs install on the 2009 KLR-650:
Images of the progressive spring install.

2009 KLR-650 front forks Progressive Spring mod / change out- install image set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626122567129/

Overall, these three mods, the fork springs, the fork brace, and the raising links, were all worth the money from the way the bike felt on the road today. What it's gonna feel like in the dirt and on trails and in sand and gravel may be a different story. It's definitely higher, stiffer, less "mushy" on mount, and more solid at speed now.

AM

-----------------------
-----------------------
FENDER INSTALL UPDATE - Installed the new front fender today from Cyrca - then road tested it today out on the superslab: Opinion; Significantly improves the stability of the front end of the bike (the steering). I believe it is due to the new fender having less surface area, and less "beak" angle, working together to reduce the destabilizing impact the oncoming air has that's moving on the bikes steerable parts (forks - fender - bars), allowing it to stay more planted, remain more stable at speed, and move more easily through the oncoming air stream when going straight and when turning.

Here's a comparison of the two fenders:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Excellent!!
While some wonder why anyone would spend money on a new motorcycle, the fact is that no bike is perfect for everyone, straight out of the box.

Making the bike yours is part of the fun of ownership for many.

My 02' always felt less than solid, and a bit squishy.. I installed Progressive Springs, a fork brace, and a MOAB rear shock and it's a different motorcycle than what I started out with..

Not only is it better on the rough stuff, it's better on the street too.

A-M, you sound like you're starting to really like that bike.. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Paper,

Man, it sure does feel better! I'm really happy with the KLR. I had a V-Strom DL-650 last year, and I'm really happy I made the change to the KLR. I still love the V-strom even though I sold it, but the KLR is a much more capable dirt type bike off road - it truly is an overgrown dirt bike.

From what I've read and experienced this year, the KLR is just not built with all the high dollar components that a BMW or KTM might have off the showroom floor. That's why the KLRs are such a great value. For someone my weight, the suspension needed help right off the bat, and I'm glad to have addressed at least partially both front and rear. The rear shock is the next thing on my list, and it's good to hear you've seen good results on the upgrades you made.

The KLR-650 is an amazingly versatile motorcycle! And like everything else in the world, it's probably even better with bacon! I wonder if there's a bacon mod for the KLR? Maybe a bacon dispenser next to a GPS holder?

AM

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The KLR-650 is an amazingly versatile motorcycle! And like everything else in the world, it's probably even better with bacon! I wonder if there's a bacon mod for the KLR? Maybe a bacon dispenser next to a GPS holder?

AM
Oh, there's a future here for you..:character00286:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You're gonna be amazed at the difference a new front fender makes!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Darn right about that Lockjaw! The new replacement fender is a big improvement over the 'GIANT WIND SAIL' stock fender. I just finished the new fender install and road test today - and it made a significant difference in front end stability when on the highway at speed. Wow. Very cool!

Here's a comparison of the two fenders:

And there's a link to the 2009 "KLR-650 Fender Mod"
http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=10318

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'll reply on both threads so those who have questioned my sanity will do so no longer....at least when it comes to the front fender. ;)

Ride on, brother!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Thanks for the fender report AM. Not to change the subject, but I see you also added some driving lights to the HT crash bars. Can you share your opinion, make, model and method of attachment?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sure thing sardog1 - I'm putting it all together now. I bought them from this URL
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-LED-Lights/Categories.bok
He did a good job on my order - fast with good communication the whole time.

I had a temporary kludge setup to run them in the pic you saw with the fender, but I took it all apart this weekend - and now believe it's gonna be a few days until I get done installing them correctly with switches and fuses and all, along with the other electrics I'm in the process of adding now. I'll post some info and some pics when I get it all together for sure.

The LED lights I got are 10 watts each, so together they only use 20w while riding. I got them to make my bike and me more conspicuous, to improve my visibility to others on the roads mostly during the day, and of course at night too. Kidna funny since I just painted my bike satin black! They will also work to illuminate some of the trail in front of me, and as a backup light source, as well as a low watt / low battery drain - 'flashlight' beam for setting up camp too.

Anyhow, It looks like the vender is out of the 10w LED lights right now, and is selling 30w and 44w lights on his sight. The brighter units cost more, and of course, put out a lot more lumens, but of course use more juice as well.

So far I like them very much - they are very bright in daylight - they will help make you and your bike 'leap out at the eye' to traffic - not bad for a 10 watt LED lights! Amazing technology!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok... I am getting ready to do this mod... I have the rear Progressive 465 already and now I want to do the front. I am also looking at your new fender. VERY NICE LOOK. Do you mind telling where you got it and the cost? I really like the look of NO BEAK on yours and would like the same here. No pressure... I am doing a new front wheel now due to a 4x4 fence post falling off a truck and me... well hitting it dead on... after that new front proressive springs and a heavier fork oil.

Thanks for the pictures they were great.

Ride safe when you play dodge car!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Paper,

Every time I reach the end of your posts and see your signature line,i start to drool. Don't know why unless it's the BACON!!!

Seriously, the fender makes that huge of a difference???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts