Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my neighbors brand new BMW adventure for a ride today. I love the heated grips and the way the fairing blocks all the wind from hitting your legs. Didn't like the weight of it or the cost, 23k. We are going to do a week long ride this summer in colordao. I will post more comparisons and pics when we are done.

·
Registered
341 Posts
$23 grand!!!
That would buy five (that's right, 5) 2009 KLRs like mine, and enough left over to by farkles for all five.
Must be a real nice bike!

·
Registered
297 Posts
23 grand is a good price for a new one. They can get to 30 quick with the right aftermarket goodies.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
That's why I shopped long and hard for my 2005 BMW R1200GS.. I found it extremely well farkled, with only 8K miles, for $10,000.. Yeah, it's a lot of cash, but I had sold my 08' GoldWing and had cash burning a hole in my pocket. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
23 grand is a good price for a new one. They can get to 30 quick with the right aftermarket goodies.
It is fully loaded and has the aluminum bags and GPS. I will post a pic of his and mine together next week.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My 3k KLR has heat

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sure they are wonderful and glorious and perfect and all that (though, for that kinda bike, I like the Tiger better) but I can't imagine 'adventure' riding on something that heavy.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Understood, Smokey.. You just ride the bike within it's capabilities. I know I could ride my old race prepped KDX200 through the woods a heck of a lot faster than I can on my KLR or my R1200GS, but just as every bike out there, you have to live with the compromise.

I rode over 200 miles of gravel last summer over 2 days in Manitoba and Minnesota.. Some was very soft, and that was loaded down with a week's worth of clothes, cooking and camping gear.
I had a blast in it, and was riding anywhere from 25 to 85 mph.. :)

Could I have ridden it faster on a lighter bike? Yeah, but I don't think I would have had any more fun, and I would never have been able to ride 3000 miles in complete comfort that week..

Just had to ride within the bikes capabilities.

The following photo shows my front tire in Minnesota and my rear tire in Manitoba.. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[/QUOTE]

My neighbors bike looks like this but grey

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
That one is just a the regular GS.. The adventure has a few more goodies from the factory, as well as the much larger tank, a bit more suspension travel, taller seat, and more guarding .

It's a $2000 difference between the standard GS and Adventure, plus luggage..

I bought mine used, so you get what you get.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
That guy in the background, putting his gloves on, looks Pissed that you made him ride his street bike on a gravel road, to a telephone booth, to talk to a Customs Official!

Sleddog
Hee Hee!! It's funny, since it was the second time he'd ridden that section, with the first to get the phone number off the pay phone in the custom's booth during the MN1000, and he was probably riding with YOU!!!!:)

Chris and I hadn't been there before.. So Bill was our guide for that part of the trip.. I let them get WAY OUT in front of me, and then hammer through the gravel to catch them..:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That one is just a the regular GS.. The adventure has a few more goodies from the factory, as well as the much larger tank, a bit more suspension travel, taller seat, and more guarding .

It's a $2000 difference between the standard GS and Adventure, plus luggage..

I bought mine used, so you get what you get.. :)
His is definatily an adventure, yes it has all that you listed plus GPS, heated grips, taller windscreen, aluminum luggage instead of plastic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

neighbors bike with the luggage off
My bike, I have less than 5k in mine as it sits.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
That's the thing.. The gaurds protect it from any low speed drop.. Hell, even without the guards the valve covers take the brunt of any tip overs.. And they're cheap to replace..

Kind of considered a consumable. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts