Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pair of the kenda 761s and was anxious to get them on. since I have no experience changing tires I thought it would be a good time to learn, so my buddy agreed to supervise the work and let me use his garage and tools.
when I went to his place he asked me where the Tubes were. I did not buy tubes, since I figured the old ones would be fine.
Anyway, He tells me not to do it until I have the tubes. What do you all think about that? He claims it is because the old tubes will be streched out and almost impossible not to pinch them.
my opinion is that I don't need new tubes. I did look online for tubes and I don't have a clue which tubes to buy, so if you think I do need new tubes could you also suggest which ones for my 2008. I am guessing that they have to be 5.00/5.10 17 and 2.75/3.00 21 ?
Help....!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
The sizes of tubes you need you have quoted correctly. I don't change tubes every time I mount a tire. My front tube probably has 25,000 miles on it. I had one rear tube with about 16,000 miles on it and three tires before I tore the valve stem off it. I was on a fire trail, the tire was aired down too far, and slipped on the rim, tearing up the tube in the process. A learning experience. Again.
I had a rear flat tire Thursday, pulled the tube out, patched it, re-installed it, pumped the tube up, found I had pinched the tube. [it was dark, cold, windy, my self pity meter was pegged, so ya, I mighta pinched it. Sue me.] Pulled the tube again, patched it and put everything back together. That was about 180 miles ago. That tube will stay in there with two patches until it quits holding air or until I put a new tire on, which I hope isn't any time soon.

It is, in many circles, thought to be a prudent safety factor to put new tubes in when installing new tires. I can't argue with that. I'd be buying a dozen new tubes a year. I'm a little too frugal for that. I'm gonna continue living on the edge. If Darwin gets me, so be it. Seriously, many people only ride a few thousand miles a year. In that case, a tire may last them 4, 5, or 6 years. In that situation, by all means, get a new tube when installing a new tire. My stuff all wears out long before the dry rot gets a chance of setting in. Aged rubber scares me when it's all that is between me and the asphalt.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I don't replace them with every tire change either. It's not like they are exposed to the sun or anything... Plus, they can't stretch any farther than the carcass of the tire will allow when inflated. I think the biggest trick to not pinching the tube is to use good tire spoons and have just a little air in the tube when you put it in so it holds it's shape a bit. I follow this fellows advice and tire changes are a snap!

Two videos, one is removal and inspection and the other is installation. I also use the Motion Pro spoons and a Bead Buddy and they work like a charm! Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Stew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts