Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil and filter today. Rode up in the foothills for about an hour. I'm not big on selling snake oil, nor am I trying to start an oil throwdown, but I will never use anything but Rotella again. And that is coming from a man who previously thought most oils were pretty much the same.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shifted more smoothly...seemed to vibrate less even. Now, some of that has got to be due to new oil/filter syndrome, but....well, hell, I was prepared to be cynical and don't have it in me.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Shifted more smoothly...seemed to vibrate less even. Now, some of that has got to be due to new oil/filter syndrome, but....well, hell, I was prepared to be cynical and don't have it in me.
I knew you'd like it..:)
It's good stuff!!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Synthetic or Dino?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been using dino since I bought my bike - thinking this next oil change I am going to make the switch to sin, er syn -=)

P.S., Tim are you back in slackermento?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, Dino Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I've been using dino since I bought my bike - thinking this next oil change I am going to make the switch to sin, er syn -=)

P.S., Tim are you back in slackermento?
I came back about three weeks ago though I am currently in San Diego (Tech Day and friends) and leaving for the Eastern Sierra route tomorrow. Yosemite or Sonora Pass.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I came back about three weeks ago though I am currently in San Diego (Tech Day and friends) and leaving for the Eastern Sierra route tomorrow. Yosemite or Sonora Pass.
Oh well. Hope ya had a good trip. We should get together for coffee sometime. The montana trip went well for me, put 2600 miles on the greenie.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Good to hear the MT trip went well. What oil did you use on the trip? Did you use any oil?

Coffe it is. Wednesday or Thursday?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My '05 with 33,500 miles has never had the cases split, still on it's original Doo - and has never tasted any oil but the Rotella 15W50 dino il. I'm a believer.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
My '05 with 33,500 miles has never had the cases split, still on it's original Doo - and has never tasted any oil but the Rotella 15W50 dino il. I'm a believer.
Hopefully you are the ONE that rides 100,000 miles without a Doohickey issue unlike the 10's of 1000's that have already replaced theirs. It has nothing to do with oil. If I were you I would not adjust your Doohickey and leave it to resolve the issue in miles.

I am getting ready to change to Rotella 15W40 Synthetic to my V-Strom DL1000 and maybe my KLR by summers end. I currently use Castrol Syntec 20W50 in my KLR though it is becoming very expensive and not always easy to find. Walmart carries Rotella in the 5-quart containers at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rotella to Valvoline 4 stroke

After switching from Rotella to Valvoline 4 stroke 20w-50, my KLR shifts smoother..and just seems to run smoother in general. I was satisfied with Rotella, but the 100 degree Alabama demands that I use 20w-50 in my bike. Does anyone else use the Valvoline oil? I really like it...and it isn't too expensive. (also used it in my KLR jr.) :16a:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I used to use Valvoline, and found it to be a great oil.. It was just that the Rotella fit the bill better up here in the Midwest, and it's available at any truck stop.

Please remember, next week will be 70 degrees in the "south".. I'm working in Vicksburg, MS next week, and Pine Bluff, AR 2 weeks after that, and I'm a happy snowmobiler... Just really hate the heat..

Make it cool for me... Please???

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was a Valvoline guy. I just switched to Lucas in the KLR. I Think I'll stick with Valvoline for the car and truck. Just turned 165k in the Dodge, all original internal parts on the motor. Not bad for an 11 year old american truck. That Valvoline Max Life is good stuff. Been using it since 80k.

I stayed away from Lucas and Amsoil due to price but with as little oil as is used by a motorcycle I splurged. It was worth it in my opinion. The bike shifts smoother and more securely. It's quieter. It runs cooler. I'm hooked.

However I should mention I also switched to 20w50. I'm not sure how much of the difference can de attributed to the higher viscosity and heavier weight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts