Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured that it might be helpful to keep a running log of my MPG. I'll try to remember to post it here everytime I fill up. I'm starting off with a stock bike with just helmet trunk on the back.

It isn't starting off to good.

-5/19/09 146 miles and it took 3.6 gallons to fill = 40.6 mpg (that's with 10% corn gas)...city/stop and go driving/flogging it.

5/27/09 130 miles and it took 2.8 gallons to fill = 46.4 mpg. City driving/not flogging it (no corn gas)/ with 2 20mm ammo boxes mounted.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
6/2/09 165 miles and it took 3.6 gallons = 45.8 mpg. 250 pound rider and two heavy ammo cans off of the rear tire. 100 miles was interstate and 65 was city driving with a few waits of just sitting there. Avon gripster for a rear tire.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
40.6 mpg (that's with 10% corn gas)
We don't have much choice in the Midwest.. It's either 10% ethanol, or it's 85% ethanol.. Since the KLR's aren't made for E85, we pretty much all run 10% crap..

On the other hand, I've always been within 1 or 2 MPG of 50, no matter how I ride it or how I load it.

I know 60/40 (member here) is running a one tooth taller from sprocket and he's often getting 60MPG.. I'd say he rides like a girl, but I don't want to degrade women riders to his level..:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm running a 16 tooth cs sprocket, ride like a middleaged bald guy with bifocals and I still only get 46-48 mpg. I do lots of my miles on the freeway which has either a 65 or 75 mph speed limit but as easy as I ride I'd expect atleast 50 mpg. I figure my mpg every time I fill up and it has always been in the same ball park. I'm wondering if the carburator is out of wack or something 'cause alot of you report alot better mileage than I'm getting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running a 16 tooth cs sprocket, ride like a middleaged bald guy with bifocals and I still only get 46-48 mpg. I do lots of my miles on the freeway which has either a 65 or 75 mph speed limit but as easy as I ride I'd expect atleast 50 mpg. I figure my mpg every time I fill up and it has always been in the same ball park. I'm wondering if the carburator is out of wack or something 'cause alot of you report alot better mileage than I'm getting.

You might be using that 'corn gas' which gives you less mpg than 100% gas. Next time you fill up look for signs at the pump that you may be using corn gas.

I'll be taking short 4 hour trips on the super slab next week and I'm looking forward to reporting back to you guys. The only time I got close to 60mpg I was going slow and forced to drive behind a semi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts