Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 - approx 15k miles, most mine. ThermoBob fitted from approx new.

Last trip out to Baja the temp gauge seemed a bit erratic on the way back - I had a pillion some of the way (which shouldn't make a lot of difference is my guess).

Now it seems like instead of settling at about halfway it now sits at about a 1/4 and will sometimes slip under that in cooler weather.

My suspicions are:

1. The gauge
2. The thermostat inside the T Bob has failed & in open position.

It doesn't really seem slow to warm up to that first quarter on the gauge (which I would expect with a failed T-stat)

Any other suggestions before I start digging?

Any simple way to test the gauge (I do have a spare cluster I could plug in if necessary but hoping that I can maybe do a resistance test or something at the other end somewhere more easily)

The bike is running fine & I don't need choke to keep it running (So-cal is hot right now though...)

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Service manuals detail procedures for testing/calibrating thermostats and temperature sensor, using stove, pan of water, and thermometer.

Temperature gauge calibration may be in there, too; not sure.

Nevertheless, sounds like your cooling system is performing adequately.

A modest proposal: Contact Thermo-Bob directly with your questions and concerns.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Test the gauge by leaving the radiator cap off with a thermostat stuck into the water on top coming from the head. It is the same water that flows over the temp sensor in the head. It takes mine about 6 minutes to get up to 195 deg F. (thermostat set point) starting from about 80 deg in the garage and idling at 1,200 rpm.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Picking a nit; "thermometer," vs. "thermostat," first usage.

This test measures the thermostat opening temperature, but not necessarily the temperature gauge's response, unless the gauge has been calibrated, seems to me. I think Thermo-Bob sells a temperature gauge background marked in degrees F.

Hypothesis: If Kawasaki had installed an idiot light on the KLR650 (as it did on the Versys), instead of a temperature gauge, we wouldn't be discussing the KLR650's cooling system as much. The corollary: If the Versys had a temperature gauge instead of an idiot light, Versys forums would be inundated with discussion of Versys cooling system temperatures, lack of a radiator bypass, etc., etc. Possibly, in this hypothetical situation, more Thermo-Bobs would be sold to Versys owners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts