Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

9 years ago i graduated highschool and turned 18, the day i graduated i was presented with this. I had always wanted a dog of my own growing up to go bird hunting with, my wish was finally granted as well as a little responsibilty lesson to go with it.

I raised this pup the best i knew how, but it was easy, i always remembered a little advice my buddy once told me. "whenever she does something bad or wrong dont get mad, because after all it is just a dumb dog" i set out to make this dog into something better than that. we trained and hunted together and spent the next 6 years were awesome, i can can honestly say i had the best grouse dog in northern wisconsin. i can remember one day she kicked up 19 grouse 4 woodcock and 3 rabbits. my piss poor aim was making me look een worse that day, we walked out with 5 grouse 2 woodcock and 1 rabbit. but during the bird season of 2010 there was an incident.

the neighbor kids were home just after school and were jumping on thier trampoline, we lived on the edge of a swamp wilderness and the sounds of the kids playing drew in a wolf. my dog went to investigate and got pretty tore up. over 300 stitches inside and out puncture wounds in her snout by here eye that went into a nasal cavity and a pretty muched up head. she never was quite the same after that.
about 6 months after the attack she started getting siezures and they got worse and more frequent so we got her on some medication to stop them. it worked for a while, she would still have one occasionally but not bad. after a year and a half she was on the maximum dose of meds and the siezure's still happened occasionally but less frequently until recently.

this morning at 5 am she had one that lasted over 5 minutes and she just couldnt snap out of it. after she did i made the decision that we had both had enough and there was nothing more to do.

so this afternoon i gathered up her toys and belongings and gave her one last ride in the truck, i let her run around and sniff the desert and eat everything she wasnt supposed to, i let her roll around and get dusty and praised her for it. then i dug a hole said goodbye and i love you, and i expect you to be waiting for me when i get home.
i then put a .22 mag to the back of her ear and fired twice.
i don't know why i am posting this here, maybe because i need to get this out and i know you guys can all handle it or relate but i lost my best damned friend today and it hurts.

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
Aww man, I'm sorry :(
Dog's really do become part of the family and they love us unconditionally. Sounds like she had a great life and an even better master. Again, my condolences on your loss.

Regards,
Stew

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Scrapper -

I'm really sorry for your loss. She was a good dog and had a great friend to care for her.

Take comfort that all dogs go to heaven.

T

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
They ask so little and give so much. They are one of God's special creatures.
I am very sorry for your loss. My last dog was nearly 15 years ago. I think of him nearly every day still.
On the weekend two little girls(9 & 7) broke through the ice of the river. A man walking his dog, a Lab, heard their screams. He was able to rescue one girl but broke through himself. The dog towed him back to shore. He then sent the dog to the second girl. She grabbed the dog's leash and was also towed back to shore and saved. Such is a dogs life.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
134 Posts
So sorry for your loss Scrapper. I have a Brittany that is almost 12 and lives in the house most of the time. I can understand your attachment.
Thanks for sharing the story of you two.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Sorry to hear that Scrapper. I've had to put down two dogs myself and it's never easy to do, but the right thing to do when the time comes. Find you another "best friend" soon. The real hurt comes when you call your new pooch by your old dogs name, but in a good way then if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Scrapper; you will always have your wonderful memories.

I recently provided "hospice" service for my neighbors' dog, Mimi; entering their home while they were away at work to care for their pet, 'til the vet came for the final "treatment."

Thus, I've seen how meaningful the attachment can be; in this case to an entire family. Even I miss Mimi; but will remember always her lady-like friendliness.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Damn!!! Sorry to hear of your loss.....I lost my best buddy to a porcupine some 8 years ago now. I was shocked how hard it hit me!
Once the greiving period is over, go get another friend and enjoy them as much as your lost buddy. It takes a while to forget the loss but the new friend will soon start mending your heart. I vowed never to let another dog get that close to me again, but I failed....as I fear the new one has crept into my heart as far as the first one had. My problem is, he has bad hips and won't last his entire life span he is supposed to. But putting him out of his suffering when the time comes I expect will be easier than watching him die from outside sources like a porcupine.

Sorry to go on about my story....maybe I still need to vent.....again sorry.

Remember to get another friend when the time is right for you........you won't regret it and it will help you.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddy, Scrapper. We've been through this a few times over the years so I have a good idea how you feel: it's tough. You obviously gave her a good life and I'm sure she was at her peak while hunting with you.

It's a tough decision to end a dog's life when things go irreversibly downhill, but all dogs deserve their dignity until the end and it would be wrong to let them continue on when they're suffering just because we're too selfish to let them go. You know when it's time, especially when you've had a dog that many years, and so does the dog.

We had to put down our big dog (13 years old) about a year ago when, despite all attempts at medication, the arthritis in his rear hips became so bad he couldn't get around and he was in constant pain.

It was hard on both of us and we didn't talk about it much for months and kind of just offered dazed comments like "At least we did the right thing" to each other.

But after awhile, instead of trying to ignore it, we began to start remembering all his good and even laughing about some of his bad, like knocking over a cabinet in the basement and chewing up $400 worth of VHS tapes, breaking out a basement window, etc.

I eventually found that when I discovered an old photo of him somewhere, instead of getting bummed out, I would smile and reflect on what a good dog he was and how lucky we were to have him for so long. He would have wanted it that way and I'm sure yours would, too. In that way, they live on with us forever.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
RIP Scrappers best friend.

Took a lot of courage to do what you did.

She's in a good place now.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yo, Scrapper, thanks for posting that. Dog lovers will understand immediately what you're feeling.

We know, man. We know.

Take care, brother.

Dan

·
Registered
292 Posts
Scrapper, we dog lovers do know how you feel. The reason I love my dogs so much is, they have unconditional love for me. I could be the biggest asshole on the planet and they're always glad to see me. RIP Scrapper's buddy.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm really sorry, dude. You did the right thing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Scrapper, sorry for you loss. Your love for your dog is evident from your post.
“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
― Roger Caras

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Good Evening Scrapper,

I am reading this a few days after days of it being posted. I just want to let you know that you did the most difficult and kind service for your best friend. He is in a more comfortable place.

Compassion and inner strength are invaluable.

Snakeboy66

·
Registered
224 Posts
I feel for you.

Some are dog people and some are not..I am. Some of my best friends have been dogs and thats no joke. They are always happy to see you and somehow make you better when needed. Chin up and remember the good times. When time comes get a new one If your lucky the new one will be the best dog in a different way. My wife has a different opinion..It might have to do with the English Mastiff that sleeps in our bed every night.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Some are dog people and some are not..I am. Some of my best friends have been dogs and thats no joke. They are always happy to see you and somehow make you better when needed. Chin up and remember the good times. When time comes get a new one If your lucky the new one will be the best dog in a different way. My wife has a different opinion..It might have to do with the English Mastiff that sleeps in our bed every night.
The test of true love:
Lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car. Open the trunk two hours later and see which one is happy to see you!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
224 Posts
The test of true love:
Lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car. Open the trunk two hours later and see which one is happy to see you!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
Regards....justjeff
So true...And the dog would not say a word either. Come to thik of it the wife did tell me last week that she had about had enough of the dog sleeping in bed and that it was her or the dog..I offered to move her blankets to the front bedroom. She was not pleased :tapfoot:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts