Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't mean to bypass good manners and immediately cry and ask for help! I'm 59 years old and my formative years were spent on a SL70. I filled out some things in the garage section. I post on a Camaro forum some and like to read the posts there, so I can see how I could add the good info here to my morning reads. I've had my KLR for several years, but it competes with several other distractions. I'm ready to take a more active mechanical interest in it, because I can't believe this familiar old school technology can whip me! This bike should always work! I could screw my kids and just go out and buy a brand new Triumph Tiger 800...I thought about letting riding go, but just shucked off 70lbs. since the Fall and can swing my leg over the seat again and feel so much better! My carb parts are soaking (they didn't look dirty to me), I've started watching the tutorial videos (2 parts so far - gonna try to work JIS head, pokey thing and emulsifier tube into some conversations today), and I think I will go to the store and buy a can carburetor cleaner and soak the body. I have other things to check on the bike and my new plug/oil filter combo package hasn't come in yet. - Scott

·
Registered
121 Posts
Scott, welcome, I might recommend to head back into the kitchen and make a sandwich. . . . then when you put the bread away hang onto the wire twist tie. Remove the covering on the wire. You may need to sharpen one end on the grindstone. If your carb is off, pull it apart (take bowl off) and remove the jets and make sure you can see light through them. The tiny wire will be effective at clearing out the jet. if they are bad enough purchasing new might be smart as well. or if you are a guitar player a old chunk of a high "E" string might suffice similarly, then the bread tie is used to keep the loaf fresh.

Best of luck with the bike. you are well aware that they will last forever with proper care. regarding this forum there are no stupid questions.

line6distortion

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a guitar player, so I'm in good shape there! I mumbled something about losing 70lbs. and much of that success was passing on the bread (and sugar, and beer and lots of other things). Vodka sodas and shots of bourbon are the solvents I use to keep my jets well lit!

I have the carb apart - again, and was going to spring for the gallon jug of juice to soak the body, but the $27.99 was enough for me to pass on that. I have some spray and compressed air. I stripped some copper wire for the procedures. The carb body is clean and I think I can identify and blow through all the passages. I have thought about polishing the float valve seat with some Crest or Brasso ever since my fuel through the vacuum line theory was debunked.

To keep all the voyeurs up to speed, I did jump the side stand switch, but left the clutch switch alone. I am considering the overflow tube mod, but when I looked at my brass tube stock I only had 3/32 OD. I kinda like that idea, since I've seen this engine with 5 gallons of gas inside it and love mixing and sniffing JB Weld! Thanks - Scott

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll finish this thread up for now! Carb reassembled for the third time, I tossed a strange little black ring that was hanging on the top of the new fuel valve this time. It may have been interfering with a proper seat. I did polish the fuel valve seat with some toothpaste and got a satisfying black color on the Q-tip (the cleanliness of my ears is another thread). New plug and compression adapter came. Compression test showed 150lbs. (almost nervous the decompression mechanism was stuck). Cleaned/oiled filter. The new cheap petcock has a PRI or prime setting, so I filled the bowl. Verified fill by cracking bowl screw. Cranked starter with a freshly charged battery. Tried to start and then I realized that I was operating the choke lever backwards! I was rusty...Starts right up! Wouldn't come of choke until I readjusted engine speed screw. Burned spiders out of tailpipe until fan came on. I'll change oil tomorrow (too close to Happy Hour today), as it may be contaminated. Joyful sensation was experienced. I diddled with so many things that I don't know what the magic recipe was. We'll see if it starts again after I clean the drool off the keyboard.. Thanks everybody - Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts