Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What saddles are out there? I know Corbin and have had several over the years on different bikes. Which one do you think is best and why?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ive had Corbin; hated it. Expensive, hard as a brick.

Ive had Sargent on three different bikes; liked all of them. Comfortable, reasonable cost. YMMV

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
What saddles are out there? I know Corbin and have had several over the years on different bikes. Which one do you think is best and why?
i use a sargent with the low drop. i wouldn't say its the best but it works for my application. of course my trusty beadrider helps too

·
Registered
26 Posts
Niceeee bike like it...... it's kind of motard style 💪🏻

i use a sargent with the low drop. i wouldn't say its the best but it works for my application. of course my trusty beadrider helps too

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. You should take a look at the seats offered at Seat Concepts. They offer complete seats as well as kits the owner can use to recover their old seat pan. Personally I use the “Commuter “ seat and it’s night and day different.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've had Corbins on a couple of bikes, to include a VStrom DL1000, Mustangs and a Rick Mayer on my current 650 VStrom and like it the best. This one came as a spare with the 08 I just purchased and it is extremely comfortable with a leather top. It has no markings but I'm thinking it is a Sargent.

And BTW Maverick, that is one good looking KLR you have there. I'm going to PM you about your tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cool headlight/auxiliary light setup too. And I'm pretty sure that's the tank I have. The guy I bought it from said it was a 7.1 gal in his Craigslist ad because the original owner told him it was. I guess that was not correct though but it sure looks like it would be more than that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Corbin

I have a Corbin, bought off CL used for $200. Yeah it's hard but I gotta say, your butt gets used to them and your continuous ride without the PIA will increase. It did for me. Plus they are a bit lower. Now I flat foot it a stop lights and even bend my knees a little.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello Redrider

I have spent six or seven hours riding my bike in a day on several occasions. I have spent ten to eleven hours on it in a day on three or four occasions. Riding that thing for that long does make me pretty uncomfortable. However, a sore bum has never been my biggest source of discomfort. I get more sore across the back of my shoulders. I also get leg discomfort.

Some people have mentioned that the ramp at the front of the seat gives them sore plums. I am a long legged 6"5" tall, so I think I probably naturally seat further back in the seat so my plums are safe.

Anyway, my point is, if you haven't taken your bike out for a long haul yet, give it a try with the standard seat, you may save yourself some money..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hard seat

Just put on a Corbin-yep,hard on the asche....will sell off to some poor soul and get a Sargent.
Yes, they are hard. I had a Sargent on my BMW R1150 R and it was more firm than the standard seat, not as hard and the Corbin, but my butt ached even still, although it did let me ride a little further than the stock seat. Sure you don't want to ride the Corbin for a 200 mile test ride?

Yes, my Corbin is hard, but it is better for long trips.

·
Registered
128 Posts
One has to give the Corbin some time. My first was a Corbin Canyon on my 1976 BMW R90/6 and after the first ride I thought I could have have purchased a 2""x8 board for less money. As I continued to ride though it became very comfortable with no hot spots, and hot spots are one of key causes of soreness. Corbin and other manufacturers of aftermarket seats use higher grade foams. Below is from an on line article I wrote years ago.

"Since then I’ve visited and toured 4 different seat builder facilities, asking a lot of questions about design, material, foam type, styles, etc. It was all very enlightening and while each had similarities there were also some significant differences. Over the years I’ve visited Corbin (twice), Rick Mayer, Russel, Rich’s and a local Seattle custom seat builder who Rich used to work for.

I initially wondered why such a nice cushy and seemingly well designed seat could hurt so darn much after only 80 miles. The answer was primarily due to hot spots and compression of the old butt housing group. Although something called Total Vertical Motion (TVM) is also a significant factor, that is, how much the seat allows the rider to sink down into it. TVM also impacts the rider’s ability to move in the seat during aggressive twisties riding, and thus the ergonomics of the seating position.

Each seat manufacturer told me the same thing, that production grade foams used in stock seats can result in what one moto-journalist referred to has the 80 mile foot peg dance. We’ve all done it. When riding my new Triumph Rocket 3 home in 2007 from Florida to Washington state I was in agony by the time I got to Chicago and felt that I would not be able to press on unless I did something about it. The temporary fix was an Airhawk pad that Titletown Cycles in Green Bay ordered for me. How do you spell relief? Airhawk.

I learned that some of the foam types used in MC seats are, open cell rebound foam, closed cell foams which includes polyethylene and mini-cell, closed cell neoprene (kind of a spongey rubber), open cell polyurethane (comes in many different densities) and of course gels and memory foams. One will also hear the term “dual density” when describing foams but more often foam densities are measured in pounds. "

·
Registered
22 Posts
And if you think about it if all showroom bikes had a hard Corbin seat would we buy the bike? Probably not. I agree. You need to ride a Corbin for some miles before making a decision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts