Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
That statistic doesn't really tell us much. For example, I am something like 70% less likely to enter a claim on my truck insurance because something like 70% of my miles are on my motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
I'll agree with Both of the above statements.

I do believe that I watch-out for dangerous situations more than cage only drivers.
I've been telling people for 30+ years that dirt bikers make better street riders and cycle riders make better automobile Drivers.
I once even suggested to the gals at the DMV license renewal that we All ought to be required to take the Written test at every Renewal! Wow! They didn't want anymore work load!

But traffic conditions and laws get changed every so often. And the driving public are a bunch of 'lemmings'. For instance, "Left Turn ONLY" lanes. These lanes are for EXITING the roadway Only. I HATE drivers that use them as Right Hand Merging Lanes!!! One lemming see's the other do it, so they all start doing it.
This town I live in used to have a concrete median down the center of its Main Street.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that the short piece doesn't cover all possibilities but thought it worthy of consideration. Nothing presented is likely to change anyone's preconceptions so was intended only for interest.

I thought that I'd read research which showed that dirt riders have a lower on road accident rate than road only riders but can't recall if that applied to riders who begin by first riding off road or for those who ride both on and off. I could present a case for either but that would be more an illustration of my poor grasp of the issues than understanding, in all likelihood.

Referencing Paul's mention of "lemmings", anyone who is looking for some winter reading might consider "Thinking, Fast & Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. He discusses his Nobel Prize winning research into human decision making. Some videos of his lectures are under the same title on Youtube. Another interesting research is described under "The Dunning-Krueger Effect" by David Dunning and ....something Krueger out of Cornell.

Lots more recent insights into how we think and why we make such bad decisions. We drive in the same way as a process computer operates: by matching inputs automatically to look-up page entries. Very efficient in terms of energy but allows one to not see the motorcycle, pedestrian or elephant when one doesn't expect to see one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Makes sense to me, we stay alive on our bikes by staying hyper vigilant and expecting drivers to do the stupidest thing possible. Not surprising some of that follows us to our 4 wheeled transportation.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I've stood by this for as long as I can remember.

Learning in the dirt gives skills and hones reflexes on the streets
that otherwise wouldn't get trained into a "riding brain". If a wheel
starts to slip out of track in a turn we can generally get it back, and maybe
even have fun doing it. The average rider with a few years or less
experience is goin' down for a slide.

Told the wife n' kids more than once "I couldn't probably ever get on a scooter
again if I hit a bike".

Bikers look for bikers. How many times have I slapped the drivers window
trying to do the wave when I see a bike in passing? LOL

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Funny when you wave at a fellow biker while driving your cage and you just get "THE LOOK" from the biker! :frown2:What choo wavin' at me for??!
JJ

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems reasonable to me, If dirt riders make better street riders and street riders make better car drivers what do dual sport riders make?

Where do scooter and trike/spyder riders fit in the mix?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts