Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2009. Yesterday after 150 miles I stopped to take a break. When I got back on, it would not start. I noticed the side stand was not fully up. It then started fine. I pulled out of the parking space and the motor started to sputter, tachometer needle went all over the place. It finally stalled. I coasted into another parking spot. I tried to start it and nothing. On the third try it started. But did the samething. I made sure it was in neutral. And I noticed the neutral light was flickering when it was trying to run. I have a headlight kill switch. When I turned on the head lights it killed the bike. Again while it was running the tach was all over the place and it just sputtered. Thinking it was the side stand safety switch, I gave it a swift kick. It started and ran fine. I drove down the street about 100 yards and pulled into another business to make sure it was working fine and it started acting weird again. I kicked the side stand and everything seemed fine. 100 miles later and no issue. I have started it twice after having the side stand down. Could the side stand switch be the issue? Looking at the diagrams the side stand switch shouldnt matter if the bike is in neutral or clutch is pulled in when starting. Any other thoughts?

UPDATE
The bike has been in the garage over night. I turned the key on, bike in neutral and hit the starter. I heard a click, all lights went out, no start. I cycled the key and it started and ran fine.

Thanks
----------
My KLR-it is such a love hate relationship or maybe just a codependency.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have a 2009. Yesterday after 150 miles I stopped to take a break. When I got back on, it would not start. I noticed the side stand was not fully up. It then started fine. I pulled out of the parking space and the motor started to sputter, tachometer needle went all over the place. It finally stalled. I coasted into another parking spot. I tried to start it and nothing. On the third try it started. But did the samething. I made sure it was in neutral. And I noticed the neutral light was flickering when it was trying to run. I have a headlight kill switch. When I turned on the head lights it killed the bike. Again while it was running the tach was all over the place and it just sputtered. Thinking it was the side stand safety switch, I gave it a swift kick. It started and ran fine. I drove down the street about 100 yards and pulled into another business to make sure it was working fine and it started acting weird again. I kicked the side stand and everything seemed fine. 100 miles later and no issue. I have started it twice after having the side stand down. Could the side stand switch be the issue? Looking at the diagrams the side stand switch shouldnt matter if the bike is in neutral or clutch is pulled in when starting. Any other thoughts?

UPDATE
The bike has been in the garage over night. I turned the key on, bike in neutral and hit the starter. I heard a click, all lights went out, no start. I cycled the key and it started and ran fine.

Thanks
----------
My KLR-it is such a love hate relationship or maybe just a codependency.

The side stand switch is problematic, it's easy to bypass. Find the connector under the black plastic cover on the side and jump the wires together.

If that turns out not to be the problem my guess is that the wiring harness has a short. The most likely spot is above the voltage regulator (right side behind the radiator overflow tank) where the harness passes over it. The tank sits on the harness in that spot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE
Fairly certain it was the battery. I spoke to the Kawasaki dealer near me and they suggested I check the battery terminals and battery. I already had checked the terminals and they were tight. The battery is original oem. The water level on the side was down but within tolerance. I decided to take out the battery and three of the cells were almost empty. Oops! Picked up a sealed battery. Did a hundred miles today and no issue. That of course was after I spent four hours tearing the bike apart looking for a short or bad ground. Live and learn...

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
UPDATE
Fairly certain it was the battery. I spoke to the Kawasaki dealer near me and they suggested I check the battery terminals and battery. I already had checked the terminals and they were tight. The battery is original oem. The water level on the side was down but within tolerance. I decided to take out the battery and three of the cells were almost empty. Oops! Picked up a sealed battery. Did a hundred miles today and no issue. That of course was after I spent four hours tearing the bike apart looking for a short or bad ground. Live and learn...
That is the only good thing about living in the land of the frozen tundra, it forces you to remove the battery at the end of the riding season and bring it inside or take the chance of it freezing. Always have to add some water to the battery when it's removed. You poor suckers that can ride year round probably get caught with dead batteries once and a while!

Glad it wasn't anything major.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts