Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Saftey Switch by-pass SWITCH

10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Hurricane 
#1 ·
Thanks to Norm here is a way to by-pass the saftey switches with a switch so you can have the safteys working, but be able to flip a switch to by-pass them.
Safety Switch By-pass Switch

Parts list:

1) DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) bat handle toggle switch

2) Rubber switch handle rubber boot

3) Approximately 10 feet 18 gauge wire

4) 4 crimp connectors, eye type to fit screws on switch

5) 1 crimp connector, eye type to fit 6 mm bolt

6) Rubber tool handle dip or silicone RTV

Procedure:

1) Crimp and solder connectors to three 8-inch wires and one long wire to reach CDI module behind radiator overflow tank.
Crimp the 6 mm eye connector to one 8-inch wire.

2) Attach the long wire and 8 inch wire with 6 mm eye to one side of the DPST switch (one switched set of terminals)
and the other two 8 inch wires to the other side.

3) Dip the switch with wires attached into the rubber compound or alternatively coat with RTV, the body of the switch
and wires where attached to switch. The complete switch body should be coated but do not coat more than the first few
threads of the switch mounting tube.

4) Set switch aside to dry.

5) Remove plastic cover over kickstand switch.

6) Remove side covers, seat, front radiator and rad tank covers.

7) Disconnect fuel hose and vacuum hose to fuel tap.

8) Remove fuel tank and check to make sure that the fuel tank mounting rubbers (hockey pucks) are still in place.
Remove the plastic shield in front of radiator overflow tank.

9) Locate the CDI box and follow the wire harness to the middle plug in the wire plug mounting plate and unplug the
bottom plug that is the bike end of the wiring harness.

10) Use a pick or terminal disconnect tool to push the lock finger back to allow the red-black wire to be withdrawn from
the plug body.

11) Push the starting relay upward to unhook from the mounting blade and pull the relay and wires out in front of the
side stand switch. Unplug the wire plug from the starting relay (4 wire plug below starter solenoid) and use a pick or
terminal disconnect tool to push the retainer finger back and remove the black and yellow/red wires on the same side
out of the plug body.

12) Solder the two 8-inch wires on the same side of the switch to the black and yellow/red wires from the starter relay
plug. I soldered them carefully to the top crimp of the wire connector so that the connector will fit back into the
plastic plug body. This will allow the starting relay to operate normally unless the switch is closed. When the switch
is closed the relay will operate regardless of the clutch or side stand switches.

13) Solder the long wire to the top crimp of the CDI connector in the same manner as above and return the connector
to the plug body.

14) Remove the 6 mm bolt (10 mm head) from the bracket near the starter relay?s mounting position, place the 6 mm eye
connector onto the bolt and reinstall the bolt.

15) Last step is to mark and bore a hole in the bottom front of the plastic side stand switch cover which was removed
in step #5, locating the hole so that the switch will clear the bottom of the starter relay and to the (bike?s) right
of the side stand switch. There is ample room.

16) Test the switch by placing the bike in gear, side stand down, choke on, ignition switch on, etc. Then, tip the KLR
toward you so that the rear wheel is off the ground and hit the starter. If it fires up, note the switch orientation.
If not, flip the switch and it will go now.

17) Reinstall the covers, tank, seat and such using Loctite and or RTV as desired.

This set-up will allow a near idiot (me) to use the safeties as designed but to bypass them at a moment?s notice if
one fails. The location of the switch and means of connecting will allow it all to be removed with nearly no residual
damage if desired. The location will also allow the switch to be operated while holding the front and rear brakes as
if stalled on a hill because the switch will be easily reached with the left hand.

There are likely more elegant solutions to the safety switch issue but this may be useful to someone.

Norm

#2 ·
Faulty and/or missing switches...

Hi Norm
It sounds like you may be able to help...
I'm new to this site and to the KLR. I just purchased a 2004 KLR650 that has never seen better days. The original owner would not repair or replace a safety switch gone bad, nor take it to the dealer. He would pull out the old jack knife and start cutting and splicing. When I got the bike home it would run, no key required, just a make shift push to start button taped to the handle bars. After a couple hours working on it I managed to get most things that were not destroyed back in service. The safety switch in the clutch handle is faulty, the stand switch is faulty. And from what I can understand the neutral light is effected by the clutch switch.
What I'm getting at...if I wanted to bypass all safety switches, is there a single location where I could de-activate them with one mod?

#3 ·
I'm not norm, I just copied Norm's directions a few years ago and share them when ever I can.

To answer your question, no. They are two seperate safteys and each one has to be by-passed. If you do a search I think you will find easy instructions to do them both. If you can't find it let me know and I will dig through some old files and try to find it for you.
Joe

#5 ·
The quick way to properly remove both safetys is as folows.The clutch safety disconnect you cut the wires going to your safety switch on your under side of the clutch lever.There are three wires encased in a black plastic cover.Solder the two STRIPED wires together and tape.Leave the solid wire unhooked tape it up so it touches nothing.Put a zip tye around finished wires to handle bars.Side stand switch is as follows.Remove black plastic cover above kickstand.Follow wires up to where they plug in to a connector and un plug it.Allow about 3 inches of wire below the plug in towards the kickstand and cut the two wires. Strip these wires,solder,tape then pug back up to the wiring harness.Now you can discard everything,switch,cable,etc, and since that black cover now has nothing under it install yourself a 12 volt cigarette receptical in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.