Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much sag should I have on rear of my 2011 KLR650?
I've read the front should be 1/3 total suspension. (7.9" / 3 = 2.667" )
Rear sag... ( 7.3" / ? = ? )
NOTE: I have a 1" lowering link on back. Not sure how this enter into the equation.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sag

Thanks for link, but it does not give amount of normal / desired sag for my KLR.
Only mentions street bikes. I'm after what would be the normal sag number, for rear of my 2011 KLR. Anybody?

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
from another thread;

I believe you have a Gen2? ....not sure what year but 3.25" of sag is way too much IMO; Gen2 rear suspension has 7.3" of travel and the very generic rule of thumb of 33% sag would be 2.4" though with the short Gen2 travel, I like to keep it around 2 - 2.25" (28% - 31%).

...and the lowering link changes the location of the arc of travel but has little effect on overall travel.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sag

from another thread;

I believe you have a Gen2? ....not sure what year but 3.25" of sag is way too much IMO; Gen2 rear suspension has 7.3" of travel and the very generic rule of thumb of 33% sag would be 2.4" though with the short Gen2 travel, I like to keep it around 2 - 2.25" (28% - 31%).

...and the lowering link changes the location of the arc of travel but has little effect on overall travel.

Cheers,
Dave
Thanks Dave. (Yes a Gen2 2011 model.)
Those numbers are just what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Stands to reason the method at the link I posted of finding the average sag would still apply even though his examples are geared toward street/sport bike.
I use what feels better. Sometimes I like tighter for trails to reduce bottoming, sometimes looser for street for a cushier ride.
For the most part part I leave mine at 5 for better feedback all around. I weigh 195 and usually haul minimal gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts