Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on a Facebook KLR group that a guy had bought a nylon scabbard for his lever-action and mounted it on his KLR...

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

I thought that was a very cool idea. My camping carbine is a Henry Black Rifle and it would be nice to be able to have a rifle with me in the wilderness instead of just my 10mm pistol.

So, the guy shared a link to the scabbard and I ordered one in coyote tan. It arrived and was good quality. Then it hit me; it said it was for a shotgun/lever-action, and my rifle has a red dot, as do all of my hunting rifles.

I tried to mount it where that gentleman did, but I just couldn't get the proper angle where the front of the scabbard wasn't getting hit by the fender or the butt of the rifle wasn't hit by my knee or the handlebar, so I tried mounting it similar to my machete...

Motor vehicle Sports equipment Landscape Personal protective equipment Tree

No bueno. So tried a hunting rifle...

Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Then I put in a rifle that actually fit; my Uberti Silver Boy lever-action .22...

Plant Gas Electric blue Grass Automotive tire

Looks good and completely out of the way of my knees, handlebars, etc.

Then I tried to get on the bike. Nope. Not limber enough to get my leg high enough to clear the buttstock.

It might work on the left rear area, but I still can't use it for any of my rifles with optics. So, decided to just chalk it up to a bad idea. I can at least use the scabbard for an ATV.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
299 Posts
Simple fix, don't use rifles with optics, just use iron sights.
In the Army they taught us how to shoot just with iron sights.
As maintaining your zero, and not hitting the scope can really affect the effectiveness of it.
I personally love the old SLR rifles, 7.62mm and iron sight, accurate out to over 500m.
Then again with a Remington 700 in .223 I have nailed a royal flush poker game at 800m.

· Premium Member
867 Posts
IMO the perfect fit for that scabbard would be a Henry Mare's Leg in your caliber of choice. I guess that would mean another trip to the local gun shop though, darn the luck...... ;)

· Registered
2002 KLR 650
370 Posts
I want a camping carbine ! Maybe you could take your scabbard down to a auto upholstery shop and have them slot the top and add a velcro strap so the scope slides down in farther and is secured. Buy a break-down .22.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

· Registered
92 Posts
Try running it along the seat, under your leg.

I carry my 10mm in a chest or tanker style holster under my coat. Never been comfortable with a firearm hanging off the side of the bike.

Maybe a take down version rifle in the case on the back.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
Or you could do something like this.
I have 3 or 4 of those Kolpin Cases. I have the Mounting kit(s) to mount them on a Toro Twister/Mid-Duty Workman (I worked on, and for Toro for awhile) that I was thinking of a way to mount on my Bike. I can't think of a way to make those kits work. It would be nice to have a rifle in a hard case if needed. It would be nice for an option on those remote trips.

Willie

Reactions: Br549rick

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
299 Posts
Go hard case, don't want them bouncing out, exposed to the elements or others to be tempted to take them. Also if the locked hard case is secure can leave the bike when you need to run errands.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
Or you could do something like this.
I have 3 or 4 of those Kolpin Cases. I have the Mounting kit(s) to mount them on a Toro Twister/Mid-Duty Workman (I worked on and for Toro for awhile) that I was thinking of a way to mount on my Bike. I can't think of a way to make those kits work. It would be nice to have a rifle in a hard case if needed. It would be nice for an option on those remote trips.

Willie

Reactions: Br549rick

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
I have 3 or 4 of those Kolpin Cases. I have the Mounting kit(s) to mount them on a Toro Twister/Mid-Duty Workman (I worked on and for Toro for awhile) that I was thinking of a way to mount on my Bike. I can't think of a way to make those kits work. It would be nice to have a rifle in a hard case if needed. It would be nice for an option on those remote trips.

Willie
With a Widened / Strengthened rear rack @Jts45acp in FL used to carry his weapon in a Kolpin case and a 70lb Labrador.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
With a Widened / Strengthened rear rack @Jts45acp in FL used to carry his weapon in a Kolpin case and a 70lb Labrador.
OK.... so I have a 60lb Lab mix that I had thought to myself, how am I going to ride as much as I want and still keep her (the Lab, not the wife) happy? I've seen many H-D riders with smaller Dogs on Bikes. I'll have to look for photos of this guy & his Lab!

Thank you for the 411!

Willie

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is your reason for carrying a rifle with you on the bike?
Because when I go into the Idaho mountains, I typically like to have a rifle with me for predator defense, or survival.

I grew up here and having a carbine handy was just common sense. A pistol is good; a rifle is better.

I was camping and had a pack of wolves come in to check me and my dog out a couple of years ago. This photo was taken that night. I didn't realize they were there until I found all the sign the next morning. My dog was acting weird and stayed close to the fire, which he typically avoided. I was glad to have the rifle handy...

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

Wolf scat the next morning 25 yards from camp...

Plant Twig Grass Bird Insect

· Registered
75 Posts
Because when I go into the Idaho mountains, I typically like to have a rifle with me for predator defense, or survival.

I grew up here and having a carbine handy was just common sense. A pistol is good; a rifle is better.

I was camping and had a pack of wolves come in to check me and my dog out a couple of years ago. This photo was taken that night. I didn't realize they were there until I found all the sign the next morning. My dog was acting weird and stayed close to the fire, which he typically avoided. I was glad to have the rifle handy...
How do you expect a rifle to be more effective at fending off wild animals than your 10mm pistol?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts