Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using my new scala-rider bluetooth headset specifically made for helmets for about 3 weeks now and love it. I commute to work and then ride a lot for work since I am a project manager. The biggest problem my manager had was that I was not able to answer phone calls while on the bike. I bought the scala-rider and now don't have to miss any calls! It has a built-in voice answer thingy that makes answering phone calls without removing your hands from the handlebars possible.

I know some of you peeps are going to say that using a phone while riding is stupid but if I wanted to continue to commute on my KLR, this is something I had to do. It has made my ride less enjoyable at certain points (when on the phone :D) but at least it has made it possible for me to still commute!!!

Later!
fr

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
What helmet do you have? Do you have any pictures of the hardware and setup? As far as talking on the phone while riding, you can pull over if needed. I commute and I am beginning to see this more often but not often enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tomatocity said:
What helmet do you have? Do you have any pictures of the hardware and setup? As far as talking on the phone while riding, you can pull over if needed. I commute and I am beginning to see this more often but not often enough.
I use a Vega Summit XPV modular (flip-up) helmet and it fits good. As long as you are doing under 25mph the mic works good while the helmet is open and up to 70mph while the helmet is closed. I have talked to all sorts of people while riding and most of them can not believe I am riding my bike. The speaker is crystal clear and the volume automatically adjust volume according to the surrounding noise level (the faster you go the louder it gets). You can also press a button and use voice dial from your phone if you wish (my blackberry does not have this feature and I don't think I would use it anyway).

I will try to take some pics today and get them up for you.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I looked into the Scalia Rider set-up, but I was going to use it as wireless MP3 player. Found out they were using BlueTooth 1.X which is Mono. 2.0 is Stereo.

I still can't believe there isn't a good cheap solution for BlueTooth music in your helmet. The closest thing that I fould that could be frankenstiened into a helmet would be iMuffs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Biker Scout said:
I looked into the Scalia Rider set-up, but I was going to use it as wireless MP3 player. Found out they were using BlueTooth 1.X which is Mono. 2.0 is Stereo.

I still can't believe there isn't a good cheap solution for BlueTooth music in your helmet. The closest thing that I fould that could be frankenstiened into a helmet would be iMuffs.
I know!!!

I bought my scala-rider at Fry's for $60 on closeout (I was not going to pay the $150 retail price) knowing that they were going to offer bluetooth fm and bluetooth rider to rider. After I got it I emailed Scala to find out that you have to buy different units for either bluetooth fm or rider to rider comm. I figured they would make it modular but they said that the unit I bought is strictly for mobile phone use and then they make one that is mobile phone plus mono FM and then a unit that is phone plus rider to rider comm. What a rip!!! I am glad I only paid $60!!! :evil:

It does work good for mobile phone use thought (although it would be nice to be able to listen to MP3's or Fm even if it is mono)!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts