Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was driving my 99 KLR 650 today at highway speed (70MPH). As I was doing so I went over a little bump and on the other side of the bump the bike engine turned off. I thought this was strange. As I realize this is happening I pull the clutch in and get over to the side of the road. Once I am stopped I try to start the bike again and it cranks over at normal speed but no start. I push the bike about a quarter mile (out of gear) and then decide to stop again. At this point I try to start it again and it comes to life!! Yay!!! But now I am nervous as to what happened? Does anyone have any ideas? The bike has just over 15,000 miles, I have the 16T drive gear and have done the doo upgrade. Other than that the bike is completely stock. (I also know that the previous owner hot wired the bike so maybe a poor connection somewhere?) I was also thinking that maybe as I went over the bump the kick stand went down and killed the motor? I cannot find anything out of the ordinary (sounds and visual) so right now I am a little skeptical as to what is going on. Anyway I'm asking for thoughts on the matter or if anyone has an experience like this.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Happened to me once, I bumped the kill switch.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
I would suspect, first, the safety switches on the kickstand and the clutch, then an ignition-related short due to a wire rubbing thorough someplace.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If the starter ran, it wasn't the kill switch keeping the engine from starting. The kill switch kills the starter switch as well as the ignition.

Sounds like an intermittent loose connection almost anywhere. You may not find it until it happens again.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If the starter ran, it wasn't the kill switch keeping the engine from starting. The kill switch kills the starter switch as well as the ignition.

Sounds like an intermittent loose connection almost anywhere. You may not find it until it happens again.
Good point.

Mine won’t crank with the side stand down when in gear either.

First place I’d look is the “hot wired” ignition.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Had mine for a few days and came out of a zippy mart and it wouldn't start. Dorkin around with it and it was the battery leads loose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Double check the spark plug wire too. Rode my buddy's Yamaha round town once and it too died post bump in the road. Turned out the spark plug wire was barely hanging on from corrosion and had finally broken somewhere in the line.

It is super scary to suddenly find yourself on a two wheeled wagon at highway speeds instead of a motorcycle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll make sure to check that as well.

And yes, your are so right when it comes to those two wheeled wagons haha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts