Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to the forum not new to riding ive done the crotchrocket thing and the harley thing which is way over rated been doing the dirt thing all my life. So now im in the market for a dual sport from what ive been reading the KLR is right now my number 1 candidate only problem is I had a brand new kx250 back in 1998 and blew the motor in 3 days so needless to say im a little gun shy about throwing my leg over another kawasaki. Im hoping I can get past this I want to hear from some KLR owners who can testify as to how tough this bike is and will it be the last one I have to buy for a long time I know how to take care of a bike as far as simple maitnence oil brakes etc. I just want to make sure im getting my moneys worth this time. Thanks in advance for your input. :mad0235:

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Hi Propain, and welcome to the forum.

A few of the reasons I bought my KLR (keep in mind these are MY reasons)

1. It is a jack of all trades, and a master of none. It is a workhorse.

2. tons of add-ons, and after market goodies

3. Most important!!! The support of all the other KLRista's we have here, and in other forums. There are techdays all over the nation to help, and guide you with everything you need.

I dont know what happened to your KX, but I have not seen anything like that on a KLR that was properly maintained. Just a week ago, at our last techday there was a KLR there with 54,000 miles on it.

I hope this gives you a little help. I really like my bike, and believe it was the right choice for me!

Take care,

MB4

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well, the KLR is a completely different motorcycle than a 1998 KX250..

That said.. I was never a Kawasaki fan.. I typically rode Hondas and BMWs, and had the odd Yamaha.. I wanted to get more into Enduro and Hare Scramble racing, and the KDX was a perfect candidate.. I asked around and the only thing that I could find as far as complaints was that they were outdated, but with some cheap upgrades, could be made to be a fun bike..

I bought a new 1999 KDX200 and had a BLAST with it.. Opening up the airbox and exhaust, as well as rejetting made it a completely different motorcycle!! I rode it for 5 years, riding everything from Enduros to Dual Sport events, and everything in between. The state of IL was kind enough to send me a title and plate for the KDX because I asked, so I rode it all the time..

I sold it when I decided to go into an actually LEGAL dual sport bike.. I was kicking around a DR650 and a DRZs 400, but I found a like new KLR.. It was heavier than what I wanted, but the fact that it had fuel range, unlike my old XR650L Honda appealed to me..

4 years and 17K miles later, I've having a blast on the KLR.. I figure those miles would be double if it weren't for the fact that I have other bikes, too..

No motorcycle's perfect, as they're machines built by humans, but the KLR's are a great bike!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Mark 54k is alot of miles on any motorcycle in my opinion its a good sign though I will admit that with the KX I had i was probablly riding it to hard I was under the notion that If I could do it the bike can handle it when I was younger I was very hard on dirt bikes the only one i never had any problems with was a 490 yz but im little older slower and wiser now when it comes to riding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't speak from experience because I just got mine however I know a guy in the Army and he rode a military KLR quite a lot. He said the abuse they go through and still keep going is amazing and he wouldn't own any other bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the KLR the same bikes the Rangers use when they take an airfield if so then ive seen them and they do abuse them its hard to tell who those bikes are made by just by looking at them from a distance because of the mods like the IR headlights that you can only see with night vision thats cool.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Given this a "pro" KLR site, you are not going to hear too many bad things from us.

I have an 06, and after 3 years I have finally started to ride a little more. (getting ready to retire from work and thought I would at least break in the engine) Managed to get 5000 on it this summer.

As mentioned by some of the others, the bike truly is a " a master of none" but after 16 bikes and over 35 years of riding, the KLR is by far an over all good performer. It's not a "gas go bike", seldom are, however it's pretty simple to work on.

I am not a mechically inclined rider, but given all the support out there, someone always seems to show up to help out.
All you need to do is change the oil, lube the chain, tighten the bolts, get a seat cover, get on and hang on.

At close to 60 miles per gallon (Canadian) I get tired before I need to stop for gas.

Enjoy the KLR, good luck. (if you buy one)

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you actually plan to go offroad, then the KLR is a great compromise between every dualsport out there. I have a pretty open mind, but still will never get why anyone would buy a KLR for a street only bike. There are way far better options for street only use. I run a pretty good mix of on and offroad. From forest roads, to atv trails and singletrack.

The only thing really lacking on a stock KLR is interstate manners. I hear the 08 improves this, but I can't see it being night and day from previous models. Some people just have amazing tolerance and don't mind it.

In stock form when I was learning to ride I abused the sucker offroad and it survived with minor wounds. Now I am much better at riding and abuse it offroad in a funner way and it's still taking me wherever I want to go. The stock tires were reasonable, but once I went to Mefo's everything improved on and offroad. Mud.. sucks no matter what tire you run. Sand.. found out last ride that Mefo's suck in sand. I have no interest in mud or sand, so I'm good. Not interested in running full knobbies either, that takes away street ability.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Actually, the KLR is a pretty good around town bike for us big guys (6-4, 240). The torque and upright position are big pluses. It's tough, simple and easy to work on (and it does require owner attention).

It is not a highway cruiser but it is one of the better all around bikes I've found in 50yrs of bike ownership (no joke - google Simplex Servi-Cycle to learn about my first bike).

If you want a gas and forget bike, a highway cruiser, a techno marvel or a loud head-turner, you'd probably be better off with something else.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have seen a number of riders comment on various sites about the KLR abilities on interstates.....

Yes the bike will go 70 to 75 miles per hours, however it's not really made for that sole purpose.

With a couple add on's, such as a 16 tooth front sprocket and Avon Distanza tires I am getting good performace at 70 mph. (also get handle bar dampeners)

Apparently the 08's are better ride on the hiway than my 06, however I have heard they will consume a little oil at higher speeds.

If you are going to ride 80/20 hiway / off road, I would suggest a Vstrom or a Versys, possibly a BMW or even a KTM.

So far this past summer I have crossed rivers, climbed gravel and loose stone hills, run 7 hours one day, in pouring rain at hiway speeds and travelled at 70 mph over prairie fields and roads.

The final choice is yours...if can't decide..... buy two bikes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyones input im sure it will aid me in my final decesion right now im really leaning torwards the KLR. Will probably be getting my bike around Feb.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey ProPain,
My '08 has 12.5k miles. Problems; loose muffler bolts ( 5 min.fix), Bad rubber on windshield to fairing attachment (easy fix when I get around to it), uses some oil (so what, I check it when I fuel it.), seams on the seat not holding up ( I can only make it 100 miles without a break from the factory seat so I plan to upgrade anyway), not looking forward to dealing with the "do" spring replacement or the valve adjust, but I'm not too worried about it either. That is all I can think to complain about.
I've owned a Kawi 100 enduro, Yamaha xl650, Honda xl250, it 175, '78 goldwing, Honda hawk 400, borrowed my kids sportster and my nephews road king, rode a whole lot of Harleys. I've never once regretted buying my klr. I live near Lake Tahoe and I'm surounded by mountain roads I'm a mellow rider but the klr handles so well that it's rare that anyone is on my tail but I'm usualy patiently waiting to get around others. On one particularily twisty road my son kept dragging the frame on his sportster and I never touched one of my feelers. 70-75 mph is a piece of cake for an '08. I've taken mine on a couple long trips, no problems but uses more oil and it does well on the interstate and open highway. I ride 'till the temps get under 20 degrees and still look forward to every ride.

Good luck,
Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 06 Klr Is 50 Miles Shy Of 19000. I Pesonally Know A Guy That Had Over 100,000 On His Klr And Then Sold It To His Boy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On the interstate my 08 will sit at 75-80 mph seemingly all day. Currently I am running Duro tires and it is very smooth to ride. I also use a 16T.

I checked the balancer chain tensioner spring at around 10K and found that it had no tension left at all, so I fitted a shorter spring which will be ok for a while but I am going to fit am EM doo as I don't like the fit of the stock lever at all.

My bike is also fitted with hastings rings but I am upgrading to a big bore kit. I fitted the rings because my bike was using oil but if you ride like do...

It's a very good bike for the money, IMO. Good on dirt and on pavement.. kinda like a jeep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts