Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride yesterday through the beautiful forestry trunk road of Alberta. Put 89 km on then topped up before hitting backcountry. Did the loop and at about 450km ran out on main tank. Switch to reserve got to 483km. However wasn’t near a town however luckily i knew a farmer in are so we did the layover trick and made it to his place where he gave me a full tank for free but a had to have a beer with him lol (wouldn’t take a nickel and wouldn’t give me fuel unless we had a beer lol) Nice guy. Anyway the ktm i was with was just under half so I assume i was close to same or slightly under that. Is that petcock to long to drain tank completely?

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are several good reasons that the tank shouldn't completely empty. There are creepy sediments, dirt and perhaps water that are best left behind and not introduced into the carburetor. I am familiar with the secret reserve (I assume it is only in the right side), but I have never had to milk it. I've never even had to lay the bike over that far and only assume that I can get it back up! Your Alberta ride sounds nice, but apparently a bit long! My aftermarket petcock has a shorter primary stem, but that only means a smaller reserve. I've seen adventure bikes travel with Jerry cans. I wouldn't have taken your $ either! Good rural action helping a rider!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes I probably wouldn’t either. Good guys left out there. Was a good run thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
483kms is good range.....I start thinking about fuel at 350-400. What kind of 20 gallon tank did the KTM have to be only half empty? LOL

Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave i been talking to a few guys since i ran out. They say same as you. The ktm has same size tank however after talking with some guys that had 690 they typically get 60-70 mpg depending on how they drive. That could be the difference alone.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Thanks Dave i been talking to a few guys since i ran out. They say same as you. The ktm has same size tank however after talking with some guys that had 690 they typically get 60-70 mpg depending on how they drive. That could be the difference alone.
Aftermarket tanks on the KTM? Stock 690R is 3.6 galls and should have a range of about 160 miles (260 kms)... I could see a bit better mileage due to the FI (10-15?) but not enough to make up for the 40% difference in fuel capacity. I'd say to check your jetting but 483kms is pretty decent range.

Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 790 which i road with is 6 gal. As I stated he has a guage. Before i ran out he had 1/2 tank so I assumed i was close or same. We then went about 40km and i ran out. After farmer i knew topped me up we travelled to next town where he filled also. He took 15.5 litres to fill. So he had 4.5 left. I have no way to know what i took as it was gravity fill tank the farmer had.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
The 790 which i road with is 6 gal. As I stated he has a guage. Before i ran out he had 1/2 tank so I assumed i was close or same. We then went about 40km and i ran out. After farmer i knew topped me up we travelled to next town where he filled also. He took 15.5 litres to fill. So he had 4.5 left. I have no way to know what i took as it was gravity fill tank the farmer had.
Ah, OK thanks; it makes more sense that it's a 790 which has a 5.3 gall capacity. Since the KLR's 6.1 is really about 5.9, that means that you only have 12% more fuel and you could easily be getting 45 - 50 mpg to the KTM's typical 56mpg (12% - 25% difference) ......it makes sense that you'd run out of fuel first. If he still had 4.5 litres, he should have been able to go to another 100 kms.....impressive

FWIW, from rideadv.com: " Lastly, holding up to 5.3 gallons (20 liters) of fuel allows the KTM to run 280+ miles (450+ kilometers), if in optimal conditions and the advertised 53 miles per gallon is achieved." A quick goodle search showed a couple claims of 56mpg...

From another 790 test: Thanks to a 280-mile fuel range, the KTM 790 Adventure can go the distance. Even in the vast expanse and desolation of Baja Mexico, this is the kind of flexibility that is necessary to get to your Plan B gas station, just in case the Plan A gas station is fuera de servicio.

Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I’m not sure how accurate the guage on ktm is. When we filled his it said 1/3 on guage. It wont light up till 1/2 is used.I have a buddy with 800gs he said he can barely break 400km.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
hopefully more accurate than my boat in which 1/2 tank apparently = 1/4 tank.........which leaves you floating in the middle of the lake with no way back....... in theory, of course! LOL

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts