Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using this product? I learned about it here on this board, and just got a bottle delivered to my house. How well does it work? Do you apply it to a wet or dry bike? Info from any user would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I applied it to a cold wet bike and left it to dry, do not get it on the discs, it will wash off but i never chanced it.

for full instructions look on the back of the bottle or on line

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info--I'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
Anyone using this product? I learned about it here on this board, and just got a bottle delivered to my house. How well does it work? Do you apply it to a wet or dry bike? Info from any user would be appreciated. Thanks!
Scott oiler FS365? What is it? Self-shining detailer, or what, exactly?
pdwestman

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Lol, I always thought that scottoiler was just the gizmo you bolted on your bike to lube the chain... I never knew there was a corrosion preventative with the same name ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, I always thought that scottoiler was just the gizmo you bolted on your bike to lube the chain... I never knew there was a corrosion preventative with the same name ;)
I thought that too until I read about it on here. I just ordered some and tried it out yesterday. Since I ride all winter long (lots of salt and junk on the roads here in Western NY) I thought I'd give it a try. Let's see how it works.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Id like to give this product a try. It utilizes a vacuum system that you tie into your vacuum line on your vacuum operated petcock. Ive swapped out that petcock for a manual one though. Any other fuel vent lines i could tie into this thing to make it work? There is an electronic ScottOiler but would rather not go down that route.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rocky Mountain ATV and MC house brand chain and sprockets are $100 and give good service life. I clean my chain with some WD40 if it's really looking gross. Other than that, I just ride!

I can't imagine that the auto chain oiler gizmos can be as cost effective as that. And, another thing too fail.

Riding in the wet and salt? Hit the chain with a little WD40 before each ride to keep rust at bay.

YMMV!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not that anyone asked but I clean the chain with kerosene...way cheaper than WD40...then coat with an O-ring safe lubricant. Chain maintenance is just about my least favorite thing to do and I probably don't do it nearly enough. I saw a Youtube video that recommended using diesel scavenged from the pump to clean your chain in a pinch while traveling. Seemed like a good hack. Just make sure you have a rubber glove or you'll smell like diesel fuel for the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
Not that anyone asked but I clean the chain with kerosene...way cheaper than WD40...then coat with an O-ring safe lubricant. Chain maintenance is just about my least favorite thing to do and I probably don't do it nearly enough. I saw a Youtube video that recommended using diesel scavenged from the pump to clean your chain in a pinch while traveling. Seemed like a good hack. Just make sure you have a rubber glove or you'll smell like diesel fuel for the next couple of days.
Todays diesel fuel WILL Deteriorate the o-rings leaving you a conventional chain with a lot of side slop.
Not a good alternative.

Better to run your o-ring chain 'as is' than to diesel it!

·
Registered
135 Posts
So again does anyone know of a another vacuum line this thing can tap into beside the vacuum petcock line... which I no long have.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You may not have the petcock, but you still have the vacuum nipple on the intake side of your Mikuni. I suppose you could run a line up through your jacket and into your helmet! Puff on that thing every 50 miles!:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
You may not have the petcock, but you still have the vacuum nipple on the intake side of your Mikuni. I suppose you could run a line up through your jacket and into your helmet! Puff on that thing every 50 miles!:)
Hahaha! Worth a shot

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
So again does anyone know of a another vacuum line this thing can tap into beside the vacuum petcock line... which I no long have.
The capped off carb nipple at the front is exactly what you need. Doesn't matter if anything else uses it or not.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
Ok, this has been a confusing read as the original Necroed post was from 2013 and had nothing to do with drive chain lubrication! LOL

I have a Scott Oiler that I took off my 2001; it made a huge mess that took me all day to clean off the engine, swingarm, hub etc. and since O ring chains are internally lubes, I don't think additional external lubing is that desireable. The Oiler has permanent residence in my version of Tom's "shop of horrors".

I use WD-40 to clean my O ring chains and to prevent corrosion. .....and no, WD40 will NOT hurt the O rings.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think I'm going to go with the Tutoro oiler instead. Uses a weight that bounces up and down inside the oil cartridge as the bike moves along and feeds a mysterious blue goo down the hose and onto the chain. Only question is how do i run this hose along my swingarm without making my bike look like a total hack job.....i hate zip ties.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts