Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't handle it any more. it is driving me mad. Last trip out had a puncture. managed to seal it well enough with tire sealant and pumping it up every few hours. now i am home looking to a permanent fix. got the tire off the bead on one side, pulled the tube out, patched ...but I CANNOT GET THE F***G tire back on. i fought with it a month ago when i switched the stocker out for a kenda 270? I cannot imagine how anyone would do this trail side. maybe someone can check the tire dimensions for me , i will post tonight. I will be going tubeless some how. can you still get knobbies tubeless? can i just seal my rim and use the same tire. my rim is now all scraped to S**T from the pry bars. Am i the only one that has had this problem. I have fixed plenty of flats in tubeless tires and i don't curse half as much. i already carry a pump and corks. Is there any advantage to tubed tires???? i know there are poeple on here saying 'why would you want tubeless?' maybe it is just this kenda or maybe they havfe never changed a tire other than taking it to a shop. i ride off road a lot. Your thoughts???

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks guys. i guess im just frustrated. yes, i was trying to stretch over the outer rim (beacause i really wanted to be able to change it while ON the bike. i dont think i can do that unless i take it off. i guess that isn't the end of the world, but sure is going to make trail fixes a bugger. i did it before, i can do it again! but i still think tubless is a better option.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Tire changing is tricky to master and will be difficult until you get a few under your belt. I finally had it figured out until I went awhile without changing one then I lost the touch and it was a major ordeal. Finally had to take it to the dealer because I was fed up with it this last time. 3 irons help a lot and one these bead buddies helps also..

·
Registered
1 Posts
All good advice above.

A few more tips.

1. Set the tire out in the sun for a bit to get it nice and warm before mounting.

2. Use some WD-40 or Tire Butter on the beads.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. the videos helped and the diagram too. i took the wheel off the bike and had it done in 3 minutes. i was just thinking it woulb be nice to fix a flat while on the bike.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I like the advise about having more tire irons. I have five of them, three short and two long ones. Be patient and don't try to take too big of bites. Just work the tire on a little bit at a time.

I just finished putting a tube in my front about an hour ago with no problems. Slow and sure wins the race.

·
Registered
507 Posts
After re-visiting this thread and seeing that the problem is solved, I will add this, some tires are tougher than others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts