Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some factory screws for my seat and side plastics. There’s a kit on eBay with a to of screws, I need like 5-8. I’m striking out at Local hardware stores

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you want factory screws go to a Kawasaki dealer or order on line from someone like RMATV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Everything on a KLR is metric. You will need to go to the slide out boxes at Home Depot/Lowes or most local hardware stores. You will not find them in the bulk bins or hanging on the pegs. I get metric hardware all the time at my local Home Depot and Ace Hardware store. I just got a metric nut for the too kit case at Home Depot a few days ago.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got my screws at Home Depot, and switched them all to stainless allen head so I can use a 5mm allen wrench to remove side covers, seat ,tank, air filter and battery.
Soo much easier when doing maintenance !

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Don't expect the labels on the drawers to match what's in the bins. My local Lowes store is a mess. Ace hardware on the other hand has their inventory in the correct bins.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
910 Posts
Standardizing your fasteners on the seat, side panels, and tank is smart to do. But consider going with the 8mm heads instead of 10mm heads on the seat and back of gas tank. All the others are 8mm. That way you don’t have to swap as many screws.

I also find Ace better stocked and organized than the big box stores.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
910 Posts
If you get the factory screws and bolts, they’re expensive at $2.75-$6.00 or more, each. By the time you buy a half dozen or more of those and pay for shipping, you’ll spend almost as much as the stainless steel complete kits sold online.

I can say that the screws that hold the lower fairing panels to the top of the gas tank will work for the seat too. 😁. They are a little longer than necessary, but there’s nothing under the seat that will cause interference. And they are 8mm heads, like the rest of the panels. That leaves the two screws that hold down the back of the gas tank which are pretty long, about 40mm or so. You’ll have to search for replacements with a different head. Maybe the screws that go up inside the fairing along the triple clamp are long enough to substitute.

Another thought about using 5mm Allen socket heads: on a KLR, they will collect dirt and crud in the socket, making it harder to get the Allen key into them, and increasing the likelihood of you rounding out the sockets. If you really like socket-head bolts, look for Torx instead.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't care for stainless steel fasteners. They are prone to galling of the threads.

Here is an interesting article about stainless steel galling.

Granted, galling is not a common occurrence, but I've had it happen. And, of course, it happens at the most inopportune time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts