Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Klr JEDI's I was riding along on one of my favorite trails the other day. I had my tires in a rut and was dooing about 5-8 mph. When i tried to turn out of it i found myself laying on the ground before i knew what happened. I personally rescieved no damage, but my bike wound up with a scuff on the right side and also the front fender. It deosnt bother me a lot now i can treat it like a motorcycle, but would still like to get it back to the way it was. Is there a way to buff this out and end up with the same polished looking finish?

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
MongoNv -

I hate to sound flippant.. oh, heck, no I don't.

Most people would take it out and cover up the scuffs with more scuffs. :)

The plastics on the 'Gen2 bikes are ABS, except for the fenders and side panels. ABS is pretty hard and might respond much like a painted surface would. You might try some fine wet sanding, followed by rubbing and buffing compounds.

The fenders and side covers are a bit more difficult. They are polypropylene, which is soft and stringy. I have heard that it can be sanded, and I have heard that it sometimes can be restored with gentle heat. You may have to do some research on that.

Why didn't you just crash in the same spot, but on the other side, on your way back? If you had matching scuffs, then you'd be good to go.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
By the way - a word to the wise.

The ABS parts are hard, expensive, and they shatter. They also don't provide much protection the radiator if you go down hard on the left side.

You might want to do a search on 'nerf bars' here and read about some of our misadventures.

Nerf bars have saved my plastics a few times, along with the radiator. I went down hard a couple of months ago and probably would have lost my entire right side had it not been for them.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
One word. Bedliner. That's three words. Crap, now it's ten.

Search bedliner on this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts