Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread will span a few days. I ordered the cases a couple days back and they are supposed to be here in 1 to 6 days. They're coming from New Jersey, so I suspect 6 days.

Looking over my rack, it appears that it should be fairly straight forward to mount them using a load-carrying bracket at the bottom and a locking latch at the top. The locking mechanism will be a detent pin that goes through the latch and the wall of the case, preventing the latch from rotating to the unsecured position.

The objective is to be able to quickly remove the bags and to have a positive securing mechanism so that they don't fall off while riding down the road. Sounded like a good idea...

Since the brackets are merely a few pieces of bent steel, I decided to tackle the hard stuff first and build the latches. I need two per case for a total of 6 cams.

I wanted to make these from a black material, but had white on hand already, so I went with it. The 'material' is a half-inch thick poly cutting board. Poly's nice; it tools well and is impervious to most stuff and plenty strong for quite a few applications. Half inch is perfect for this, as the latch needs a reach of 1/2" for the 1/2" tubes of the Sequoia.

First thing to do is get six plugs that are 1 1/4" in diameter.

Next, cut even strips to make the latch.

Using the fender washer as a drill jig.

Finished 1/4" holes drilled though both pieces.

The cam is assembled for further work.

Drilling through the whole assembly for the locking pin.

Going to the mighty-mighty ChiCom belt sander for radiusing and smoothing. The belt will remove material from the latch only up to the washer.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The cam, attached to the case, slips into the rack...

...and rotates into position, locking the case to the rack.

The head of the bolt and the fender washer will be on the inside wall of the case; the latch on the outside. The locking pin, the end of which is visible in the photo above, will come through the wall of the case to lock the latch in place.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cases arrived yesterday.

Somewhere along the line I lost a few pictures; dunno where they went. They might be on some random SD card.

Here's what I have:

After cutting and drilling, the first forming operation for the bracket.

The second forming turns it into a hook.

The Sequoia rack before cutting.

The rack after cutting.

Testing the possible locations for the brackets - wound up not using the middle one.

Fast-forward.

And a video of putting the case on. the top case is similarly mounted.

T

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a pin lock through the cam that goes through the case. I'll post up a picture.

T

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about locking them so that they can't be removed without a key? Also, do the cases themselves lock?
Locking them on the rack so they require a key to remove is beyond my village blacksmith skill level. The cases themselves can be locked with two padlocks, and I suppose one could rig up a small cable so that the cannot be removed.

You can get the cases with simple twist locks on the latches, or with either plastic or metal key locks.

Here's the detail on the pin lock:

Today's task is to trim the bolts to length and install LocTited nylock nuts.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Slick, Tom! Looks awesome!

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks LJ! It's been a fun project.

I think for riding the slab they are going to work out fine. Probably stick with my soft bags for longer off-road forays.

One last (right..) refinement, some reinforcement on the inside:

T

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
They look great.

Any more pics of the tail case?

I like your reinforcement solution. I think I'll copy it.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That rack is so triangulated and trussed that the only further way to brace it is to the footpeg. It's really pretty hell-for-stout. A loop wouldn't add any strength.

I'm considering a brace from the footpeg, but it's still in the pondering stage.

These bags are going to primarily be for highway use (my yearned-for R1150RT looks an awful lot like a new driveway, so the KLR is it...). I'll still go with the soft bags for cross-country stuff, like Blythe-Yuma. The soft bags are better supported, don't hold as much, etc.

T

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...Any more pics of the tail case? ...
Cabrito-

Here's a rear view; you can see the pins I added for webbing attachment. I'll be adding two more such pins on the other side:

Here's a 3/4 view:

And a view of the opened case:

A view of the attach points:

And a view of the cams locked to the rack:

T

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Thanks,
nice work on the quick release for the top case too.

Can you fit your helmet inside?

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...Can you fit your helmet inside?
Nope, it would need to be an inch (at least) bigger on all three dimensions to fit a helmet.

T

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not sure if you're interested Tom, but I've got the same cases and found a pretty simple lock that allows them to the Happy Trails luggage rack securely. It may work for your rack as well, but could require a bit of inventiveness. I'd post pictures but don't have the required post count yet. :(

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Raiz -

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I am interested; please post up a picture of the lock you are using. Don't know how inventive I can be, but knowledge is always good!

T

·
Registered
30 Posts
Raiz -

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I am interested; please post up a picture of the lock you are using. Don't know how inventive I can be, but knowledge is always good!

T
Thanks and here ya go!

That lock mounts to this latch keeper

You can find the lock here:
Sold at Amazon

Here is a picture of the lock on a bike. This isn't my bike, but I like this picture better. Pulling the SE-720's downward makes the cases impossible to get off without unlocking the lock first.

...and finally, here are the cases mounted to my bike. I used 3/4 inch steel tubing clamps available at lowes or home depot. These pics are before the lock was installed on the back/bottom of each case.

The wingnuts that go through the threaded tube clamps are strong enough to hold the cases on even without a lock!

Here's the final product. Looks about like yours. I mounted my cases at a slightly forward tilt so that when they aren't fully loaded, the weight tends to shift forward toward the middle of the bike for more stability. Oh, and I dipped the tube clamps and wingnuts into some plasti-dip so to give them a rubberized feel and so that they won't scratch the Happy-Trail luggage racks.

It's not perfect, but I can't help being proud of my own handi-work!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts