Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first KLR and love it. Just put new tires on tonight. The front tire didn't "pop" when inflating. It looks ok and I pumped it up to 70 psi hoping to seat it but it didn't happen. Should I let the air out and do it again?

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
Is the bead ring on the tire concentric with the edge of the wheel rim all the way around on both sides? If it is, it might well have seated without you hearing a pop, especially if you've got 70 psi in it. If you've got that much air in the tire and you don't think the bead is seated, it should be easy to tell where it's not if the tire has a bead ring. I've never used a tire that didn't have one.

If those rings aren't concentric, you've probably got some inner tube between the tire and the rim somewhere and the bead ring on the tire should let you know where that is.

I've never had to use anywhere near 70 psi to get a front tire seated and, although I would certainly check that bead ring to make sure everything is as it should be, I would bet it just set without a pop if all surfaces were cleaned and lubed before you started inflating it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Break the bead away from the rim again, and spray soapy water all around the rim/bead area. Then pump it back up.
The extra lube may do the trick. Un-lubed rubber can be real sticky, and a little lube will make a major difference.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Break the bead away from the rim again, and spray soapy water all around the rim/bead area. Then pump it back up.
The extra lube may do the trick. Un-lubed rubber can be real sticky, and a little lube will make a major difference.
Yes, and clean the edge of the rim if it has old sticky bits of rubber on it from previous tires. I wouldn't want my face too near that tire with 70 pounds in it.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
cpblue,
The front rim does NOT have the 'safety Bead' (the raised ridge, on the inner surface of the rim) of a tubeless rim as does the rear rim. Therefore no 'snap-on'/'pop-on'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. I deflated the front, checked the cleanliness of the rim and did the soapy water thing. Inflated it and still non "pop" but it looks even all the way around and on both sides. Put a couple of very slow miles on it near the house and no problem. Did a total of 40 miles on/off road without issues. Thanks again to all for the help.

I really like this bike!

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
I don't actually remember my front tire ever popping when it seated either... Well, maybe once :)
I've also never had to go over 35-40 psi seating a tire, usually they seat lower than that.

Congrats on the KLR, they really are "do it all" bikes!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Last year I had some Kenda 270's that had difficulty seating. Lots of lube and high pressure. It finally seated with a "pop".
Other tires I have mounted (especially the front) have not popped.
I think you will find, if it did not seat, you will feel it when you ride. Not that I recommend you do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts