Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of the many aspects of a cross-country ride...one thing comes to mind: self defense. Any recommendations? A person might be hesitant to carry a fire arm, due to the differing laws of states other than one's home state. But then again, maybe that's not an issue.

What do you experienced trekkers say?

Many years ago, I was on a several-day ride, alone, and was camping for the night in a "closed for the season" national park campground. Late at night, nobody around for a hundred miles, and up the (supposedly closed) road comes a pick up truck. My heart rate jumped considerably while the truck idled beside my camp spot, giving me the once-over...then moved on. I have often thought of the many unpleasant outcomes that could have resulted from that night caller. Never did know for sure, but I concluded the passer-by must have been a ranger who decided not to roust me in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
82 Posts
While two legged night visitors might be a problem, I feel that the ferel hog danger while camping warrents having an armed camp. This is a growing problem in many parts of the country and has to be considered. Most actual wild animals have been run out of areas, but the ferel hog roams without fear of man. So my iron is stored during the day but out and avaible after dark. ride safe rebar James

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
IMHO....the only thing you need to protect yourself from are animals that like the taste of whte meat, sorry human meat, I forgot....lol. Not being racist towards the dark meat section of our crown.....I have other races more demanding of my hatred these days.....sorry to say. That protection from those animals usually comes from a very clean camp and the action of moving sites every night.
The two legged version of preditors can be a real issue in some places....I carry a sharp object and some sort of legal firearm as in bear bangers. The one that is like a pen with a cartridge on top. Just get close enough to stick it in their mouth and oooops, it went off? Ride away. Yse you down below the border have the worst type of issue and that is everyone can carry a handgun easily where we can't. IMHO, it is a better system as it evens the fight so to speak. If both the victom and the attacker have the same weapon then it's skill that wins the war. A bit like the old days when fighting meant fists and the best man won. The bear bangers are a leagal way to get around that problem up here. Even if not swallowed, they will scare the daylights out of someone who isn't aware they are targeted by one.

The best weapon is common sence....do all you can to stay away from trouble in the firstplace...then do what is legal in the secondplace.....As long as you win and live to ride away....alls good.:13:

May sound stupid....but when the chips are put down...it's better than an ambulance ride to the nearest hospital or morgue!

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
Thinking of the many aspects of a cross-country ride...one thing comes to mind: self defense. Any recommendations? A person might be hesitant to carry a fire arm, due to the differing laws of states other than one's home state. But then again, maybe that's not an issue.
You definitely want to do your homework regarding the reciprocity agreements your state has with others regarding concealed carry. It's usually very easy to find out, so no big deal as long as you abide by it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
for the two legged threats , i have 3 years of MMA/ judo, bjj under my belt . that includes disarming people and if need me dis arm ing them lol . seriously though confidence is a huge deal (with 2 and 4 legged). people who use knives and guns are relying on fear of the weapon so keep that in mind .
for four legged dangers i keep a fox 40 whistle , bear repellent , and a solid fixed blade knife beside me when i sleep . ( bear bangers are on the list to buy ) . If anything approaches my tent , whistle first ( plug your ears and blow as hard as you can ) . then bear repellent ( outside the tent and NOT into the wind ) and as a last resort the knife . which can be used if something is trying to enter your tent .
it is illegal to use the bear repellent on people but not immoral ;)
I also carry a hatchet on my camping trips so that could be used too , some might carry a machete.
I have LOADS of time in the backcountry in bear country , black and brown ( even polar) and have never had a problem . no food in tents and proper camping technique goes a long way . i have run into loads of people in the middle of nowhere and never had a problem . only been asked to come have a drink with strangers .
never been told to put the lotion on or i get the hose ...

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts

T

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts

T

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if the country had a law that allowed a person to carry a firearm for self defense, against both criminals and animals? You know, some special law that would apply to everyone, in every state. A law that was based on the founding documents of our country that couldn't be simply changed or interpreted by a State or local government?

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
Oh, I dunno. You'd have to amend the Constitution to do that. There are a couple of things that are more important, but I'd group them together so this could be the second most important.

T

·
Registered
94 Posts
Tom Schmitz, that was a cool "fast draw" video.

racersteve, we used to have such a law until we created "LAWS".:50:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if the country had a law that allowed a person to carry a firearm for self defense, against both criminals and animals? You know, some special law that would apply to everyone, in every state. A law that was based on the founding documents of our country that couldn't be simply changed or interpreted by a State or local government?
It's my feeling that our Founding Fathers thought they had supplied that law. They called it the 2nd Amendment.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Remember to steer wide of IL.. It's the only state without a form of CCW, and if you're caught carrying, you've committed a FELONY and will never be able to own guns again.. Along with a couple other nice things..

The state's currently working on allowing those who have permits from other states to carry, but it's not passed yet, and we have a communist governor, so who knows?? I do know my state income tax went up 67% last year.. Tidy little jump.. I'm pretty sure my state's giving me 67% better quality of a state to live in..

Anyway, avoid IL... Do NOT carry a weapon here..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh, don't tease! Give someone a reason to take the issue up to the U.S. Supreme Court and put an end to states attempting to take away our fundamental rights under the Constitution.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts