Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fam & I are planning a trip through NM, Southern CO ending at our cabin near Ruedi Res. First time taking bikes. We'll be riding mostly off highway since my son is only 13, he can't wait to get his YZ on the trails. Our target area is between Norrie and Hagerman Pass and all points between. Probably be there around Sept 6th or 7th, stay until the 12th or so.

Any local KLR fans want to join us for a ride? Any tips or ideas? I've got an idea of some of the areas I want to ride but I'm always open to new ideas.

Let me know!

James

·
Registered
54 Posts
I guess it depends - are you looking for short local rides, or longer day rides?

Independence pass is nearby, that's a fun one.

There's a 4WD trail that goes up and over Aspen Mountain (one of the ski resorts) - I haven't done it on the KLR yet, but my Xterra handled it pretty easy to I'm sure the KLR wouldn' thave any issues. It's not a particualrly hard 4WD trail. It would require some highway riding to get to though, so I'm not sure about your son.

There's another 4WD trail to the Crystal Mill outside of Marble Colorado thats a pretty drive. I've done that one in a stock mid 90's Explorer, so again, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem on a KLR. But it also requires some street riding to get to.

I'm only about 20 miles from Reudi right now, I work in Basalt. I'll be at my new job by then and have some other riding plans around that time, otherwise I'd show you around a bit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts