Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a report of a serious accident while an inmate on AdventureRider was cleaning and lubing his chain. I think it is worthwhile to read as a warning to the members here. This could happen to any one of us.
My DL-1000 took my hand off (tried to) | Adventure Rider

Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Without even going to the thread I bet he was runing the engine in gear and the chain grabed him or the rag or something and sent his fingers through the sprocket under the chain.....I've seen it many times before.....not a pretty sight at all! I've seen a guy with bones sticking out the broken ends of what is left of his skinstripped fingers!....Idiots!
:Tongue2::50:

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
There is a report of a serious accident while an inmate on AdventureRider was cleaning and lubing his chain. I think it is worthwhile to read as a warning to the members here. This could happen to any one of us.
My DL-1000 took my hand off (tried to) | Adventure Rider

Regards....justjeff
Holy cow! That was quite the read! Just lubed my chain this morning, but my method is to lube a 4-6 inch section and then rotate the wheel to expose another 4-6 inch section ahead of the one I just lubed. The chain is never moving while I'm spraying lube on it. I think growing up on a farm with old junky equipment gave me a healthy respect for things that spin.

I sure hope that fellow gets most of the use back out of his hand and gets to keep his pointer finger. A very good story to share though, shows what can happen in a split second... Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ever heard the term natural selection.

This is just like anything else. If one makes a mistake we pay the price and sometimes we get lucky and well other times. :( And all we can do is hope we learn from that mistake and are lucky enough and brave enough to show others what is not to ever be done. But again many will still try sorry to say.

There are more days then not that I will tell someone I would not do that lol. And then of course most of the time they will go right on ahead. And so all I can do is stand by and enjoy the show lol.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the whole point vinnie. Just a momentary lapse of thinking and your life changes forever. NEVER ROTATE THE WHEEL UNDER POWER OR BY HAND WHEN YOUR FINGERS ARE ANYWHERE NEAR THE CHAINSET!!!

Take a stick about the same thickness as a finger and see how easy the chain and sprocket cuts through it. People just don't realize how powerful the cutting action is until it is too late. That is why I thought it is important to post this warning.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know this Post is older, but I think it is important, as a new KLR rider, and old 650 street rider 7+ years ago when I had someone else work on my bike, this is a constant reminder of how powerful the bike is and how you need to respect the bike, just like a firearm, when you show a lack of respect for the tool you are using, bad things can happen.

Please be carful turning wrench's, as we say in the military "always do the right thing, even if no one is looking".

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like my center stand. I think when I clean my chain I will clean the bottom part, move hands away from chain and sprockets, rotate the tire, stop tire, chalk tire, clean chain, repeat as needed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yeah... i rotate by hand... and when i drag rag clean the chain off, i do it on the return side ... so its going to take my hand away from the rotating wheel of spikey doom. if you manage to get your hand caught in the countershaft sprocket you should probably sell your bike...and everything you own with moving parts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Okay,
Rotating by Hand (controlled), then
Rotating by Momentum (think 'heavy things rotating versus light ones'), then
Rotating by an Engine (no stop, per se... only takes a split second and 'accident', too late).

In the above order,
"GoGoGadget SafetySonar" (commensurate with the RisingRisk of EACH!).

i.e. "Rotating by an Engine" for a ShortCut is just not an option; period.

'Done some dumb things [no EyePro, guards off Saw/Grinder, no use of Vise to keep 'grinded thing' away from my body (scars to prove it), lack of Respirator for more 'n a few cans o' SprayPaint] but never let a Shortcut (aka Hack) with an Engine get me!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts