Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Kawasaki Service Manual from eBay the other day, and although the auction said it was part # 99924-1384-12, it was actually the …-11 version. Wondering if I should go to the hassle of a return. Any thoughts? Is the newer one better?

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
I think our resident expert is @pdwestman.

My experience is limited but I will say that KHI is rather slow to make changes sometimes and doesn't tell what the changes were.

For example, I have two versions, the first edition of the Gen 2 manual and the -09. The first edition had many errors in it, e.g. the spec for the torque on the footpeg bolts. The -09 version covers up through the '15 model year but does not include the changes made to the clutch in mid '11.

There are some changes from Gen 1 to Gen 2, like the increase of the torque value on the drain plug, that I often think might be errors they have not yet corrected.

It's hard to say if the newer one is better and worth trying to get because nobody outside the hallowed halls of Kawasaki knows what the difference is!

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
I ordered the Kawasaki Service Manual from eBay the other day, and although the auction said it was part # 99924-1384-12, it was actually the …-11 version. Wondering if I should go to the hassle of a return. Any thoughts? Is the newer one better?
Tweedledum, and Tweedledee, probably were not TOTALLY identical, but . . . the difference between a 2011 and a 2012 manual is probably less. (Credit George Wallace for the, "Through The Looking Glass . . .," reference.)
There is no doubt that this is a high stakes election. It is not Tweedledum and Tweedledee, as former Alabama Gov. George Wallace famously said of the major parties when he ran as a third-party candidate nearly a half century ago.
(From Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball; Rhodes' comment about the 2016 presidential election.)

Alice must wonder: Is Tweedledum on the LEFT, or is that Tweedledee?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Samuel,

When you get your Service Manual, go directly to the last page and it will list all of the model years that the manual covers.

The manual that I got (from my dealer) for my "2016" model year is part number 99924-1384-10, 10th Edition (1): July 17, 2015 and covers model years 2008 to 2016.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and requested the return. I figured that since my buying it was based on the idea that it would be the latest version, I should follow through on it.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
If you want the "latest" manual, get the 2018 edition!

:)

You ask for our assessment and advice, then . . . do what you originally intended!

Not that there's anything wrong with THAT . . .

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damocles, I sure did, didn't I…! I was kinda hoping someone could say they were actually the exact same thing, but not hearing that, I went with the swap out :19:

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
As Bill10 showed, the last suffix number has Nothing to do with the year date.

The OEM Service Manual which I have is 99924-1384-07, covers 2008-2014 model year bikes. Add -07 + 4 = -11. So I was gonna' suggest that #99924-1384-11 could have been the LAST Printing.

But since Bill10 has a 99924-1384-10 which covers up to 2016 model year.
There must have been an additional revision between my manual, 99924-1384-07 / 7th Edition (0) : Apr. 12 2013 and his.

I am not aware of any mechanical changes between the 2017 & 2018 model year KLR's.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
We'll know on Thursday. I ordered the -12, which KHI lists as the latest version. I'm going to try to compare it to my -09 version to see if I can find any differences. I never did that with my first version Gen 2 manual except to see if they had changed the things I already knew about.

It can't be that they publish new versions with no changes. Maybe they at least caught up with the '11 1/2 clutch change...

Reactions: Damocles

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Damocles, I sure did, didn't I…! I was kinda hoping someone could say they were actually the exact same thing, but not hearing that, I went with the swap out :19:
If you find significant distinction between Tweedledum and Tweedledee; and if you disregard Bill10's comment above, "The manual that I got (from my dealer) for my "2016" model year is part number 99924-1384-10, 10th Edition (1): July 17, 2015 and covers model years 2008 to 2016," then . . . perhaps only the manual most contemporaneous with your bike will guide you correctly through your maintenance and repair activities. Your bike may have significant and unique characteristics escaping the 2008 through 2016 model year time spectrum.

One fact remains certain: Your bike's bold new (for its era) graphics distinguish it from all other KLR650 models.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hehe, now I know you're messing me!

I admit, I considered the contemporanaeity of the -11 version and its correlation with my particular vintage, but then I remembered: This bike is basically the same as our forefathers used to hunt the mighty mastadon and to dash across the savannah, amidst packs of sabre-toothed tigers… certainly there were no significant changes between the year in question and the very next! And correct this most certainly was, and yet, the manual… would it also remain the same? Could it not be true that deep in the halls of Fort Kawasaki, there were a publications manager toiling away, collecting stories of subtly mis-specc'd repairs in shops across the globe, maintaining, responding to, and fixing oversights from previous versions of the yearly tome, published in tribute to the great thumping one? And I was like, yeah, that seems possible… Upwards of a dozen figures or recorded measurements could have changed from the -11 version to the -12! Would that not justify the additional trouble of an not-strictly-necessary return and exchange? Surely. Well, that and also: Damn ebay sellers aren't going to lure me into buying their auction with a false part#!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Lol! That ^^ reminded me, first time I did an oil change (December 2015) I noticed that the service manual had two different torque specs for the drain bolt. I advised them of the disparity....AND...they sent me a free Kawasaki Tee Shirt!!! :smile2:

Then I bought the Tusk Drain Bolt, which if ya'll remember, fractured and leaked oil all over. Then I bought Eagle Mikes Drain bolt that came with the proper torque guidance and we've been happy ever since.

Anyway, yes, assuming Kawa actually makes the update I reported...I don't know why they wouldn't...and whatever other changes may have been reported it would seem most reasonable to purchase the most recent edition that lists the model you own. On the other hand, I don't really feel the need to update the manual that I have....as there is another fall back control, as follows:

I'm a published author (no, not service manuals) and understand a little of the legalities surrounding publishing, ISBN numbers, edition control, etc. As I understand it, "generally" since Kawa explicitly stated in my publication that the publication supported service of a 2016 KLR 650, any material change to the information in that publication would have to be reported to the owners or, minimally I suppose, made public. For you old timers like me, you may recall when we got service manuals and in some cases owners manuals and they came with little fliers disclosing differences or whatever. So, it would seem that those of us who have "dated" manuals might call Kawa and ask. As to that material change, if any, certainly I'd expect Kawa to correct/add it in future editions.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Samuel posted:
Hehe, now I know you're messing me!

I admit, I considered the contemporanaeity of the -11 version and its correlation with my particular vintage, but then I remembered: This bike is basically the same as our forefathers used to hunt the mighty mastadon and to dash across the savannah, amidst packs of sabre-toothed tigers… certainly there were no significant changes between the year in question and the very next! And correct this most certainly was, and yet, the manual… would it also remain the same? Could it not be true that deep in the halls of Fort Kawasaki, there were a publications manager toiling away, collecting stories of subtly mis-specc'd repairs in shops across the globe, maintaining, responding to, and fixing oversights from previous versions of the yearly tome, published in tribute to the great thumping one? And I was like, yeah, that seems possible… Upwards of a dozen figures or recorded measurements could have changed from the -11 version to the -12! Would that not justify the additional trouble of an not-strictly-necessary return and exchange? Surely. Well, that and also: Damn ebay sellers aren't going to lure me into buying their auction with a false part#!
I hardly see how the forum inmates' comments you requested could possibly have influenced your conclusion, "Would that not justify the additional trouble of an not-strictly-necessary return and exchange? Surely. Well, that and also: Damn ebay sellers aren't going to lure me into buying their auction with a false part#!" Exchanging the manual appears as both your original intent and final action, to me.

I doubt any forum inmate serves as a proofreader, comparing jots and tittles between service manual editions.

Marketing copy? Another matter. For years, Kawasaki advertising claimed Generation 2s had a single rear brake caliper (actually, two from 2008 forward), and even today, Kawasaki will tell you Generation 2s possess, "Electrical CDI" ignition systems (ended in 2008; later models have inductive discharge ignitions). Not that Kawasaki inherently rejects ALL revision: Correction in marketing copy, from one rear brake caliper to two, occurred after I pointed out the error to a young lady Kawasaki representative at the International Motorcycle Show, physically counting the calipers with her (the difference between capacitive and inductive discharge ignitions less conveniently demonstrable on the exhibit floor).

While using a - 11 manual vs. a - 12 edition might not leave your KLR650 in a pile of rust alongside the trail, I hope you acquire the very specific publication you seek.

We await meticulous comparison between service manual editions from our trusted scribe.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
I ordered a -12, Partzilla sent me a book with a sticker on it that said -12, but the book is marked -11.

The only reason I wanted the -12 was as a hysterical document, perhaps the last of the KLR Gen 2 manuals.

Maybe the -12 is mythical.

I assume they will make a new primary dash number for the Gen 3 KLR.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
I ordered a -12, Partzilla sent me a book with a sticker on it that said -12, but the book is marked -11.

The only reason I wanted the -12 was as a hysterical document, perhaps the last of the KLR Gen 2 manuals.

Maybe the -12 is mythical.

I assume they will make a new primary dash number for the Gen 3 KLR.
Alas, you suffered the same order mis-fulfillment as Samuel!

A possible (?) scenario: Sometimes, when a part is superseded, the vendor uses up old stock (if the substitution is viable) by ATTRITION: That is, the superseded parts are expended 'til gone, then replaced by the later model. In this case, the - 11 maybe considered an adequate substitute for the - 12, and thus substituted.

We await, in a state of suspense, until we learn of delivery of the - 12 edition to Samuel! May he no longer be victimized by the unscrupulous rip-off artists of E-bay!

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
I have written to Partzilla, asking if there is, indeed, a -12 that I might have in lieu of the old, outdated, mistake-ridden, moldering -11.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
I have written to Partzilla, asking if there is, indeed, a -12 that I might have in lieu of the old, outdated, mistake-ridden, moldering -11.
I should have asked this the other day. What is the current price tag for either the -11 or the -12 manual from any of these on-line suppliers?

Currently kawasaki.com sells the owners handbooks & service manuals directly on-line, to anyone, printed as Needed!
They do list the 2018, 99924-1381-12 for $74.95 and the 99987-0006 O.M. for $19.95.

To the best of my current knowledge there is No Longer any dealer profit margin on these manuals.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Partzilla's price on the manual is $58.91.

Shannon at Partzilla is looking into my request. I sent her a picture showing the part number printed on the manual and their inventory/stock sticker showing the -12 part number.

The -11 seems to be the final version for the 2017 while the -12 is the current version for the 2018. One wonders if there will be any further revs on the 2018.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts